U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 28,131 times
I wouldn't feel bad. Better safe than sorry.

He should be a little more careful.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM

8,304 posts, read 12,838,684 times
First, how "old" is "older?" 70s? 80s? Beyond?

I don't think local gangs here are using senior citizens to check out cars to steal, that's just too much of a stretch. Especially in a Bill Miller's parking lot. I can also admit to doing the same, we have a silver Honda Odyssey minivan, and there are about a million of them out there. Heck, there is another one on our street that looks the exact same as ours. And once I forgot something in the van when we went to WalMart, and walked out and up to what I thought was our van. I was trying to figure out why the remote wasn't working, when I looked in and noticed stuff that wasn't ours. I looked to my right and there was our van. Luckily, no one was around to witness my foolishness.

I probably would've yelled at him too, just because some stranger trying to get into my car would get my excited. But I am sure if the situation was reversed he would've done the same thing. I sure as heck wouldn't shoot someone in this situation, unless I was absolutely, positively sure they were stealing my vehicle and even then it would be a last resort. But I think it would be pretty obvious that they were.

I wouldn't worry about it, it was a mistake on his part and if he took offense to your yelling at him, it is his problem not yours.

And never, ever go to Bill Miller's again!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,824,332 times
I got a pecan pie for 4 bucks so it wasn't so bad. He could have been collecting social security.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,474,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
We were sitting in a bit of a line at Bill Millers. (don't flame ) Anyways, we got to the part where you can see the back door. Some guy walks out of the back door, walks towards my truck, around the back and attempts to open my passenger side. My wife starts going nuts and I yell out. "Get the (truck) away!!!" Bewildered he said, "sorry, wrong truck". But gave me a look like he couldn't believe I said that. I felt a bit bad but of course, put yourself in my shoes. Freaked the crap out of my wife and I just wanted to get out and pound on the guy until I found out who he was. (older gentleman) Turns out his truck was 2 in front of us. I normally don't curse but I wanted to express how upset I was and yet still not sound contrived.
Was this in a high-crime area? Is that why your wife freaked out? Is your wife kind of nervous?

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-22-2008, 07:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,120,938 times
Sounds like you were only trying to protect your wife... reasonable to me if he was trying to get into your car with your wife inside. I would imagine most men would react the same way if they thought a man was trying to get in their car with their wife. He should have apologized and understood your reaction. You can never be too careful these days... too many weirdo's out there.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:03 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,138,597 times
I have the passive entry thingy for my truck AND I have a button that sounds the alarm (horn honking) when I push it. I have on occasion, when I was in a restuarant and been able to see someone touching my beloved green machine, I set the alarm off. It usually does the job.

I can say I would have done the same thing. I might not have gone out and pounded him but hey, you can't be to sure whats going on these days.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:08 PM

812 posts, read 1,534,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
The situation sucks, but these days you can't be too careful. And he's lucky you only yelled at him, and didn't exercise your right to protect your wife and property...

Self defense can only be used in certain situations.

This does sound like a anger management issue. Sorry to tell you. You said you felt bad and I need to tell that you really need to think before you yell and just go off on people.

I have alzheimers and I get confused. I go through wrong doors and say the wrong things from time to time and make mistakes. Nobody needs to get yelled at. To an old man a big car is a big car, a truck is a truck. No need to scream and yell at people. Find out first what is going on w/ people. If you're in a public place, relax and chill. No need for talking about getting so angry. Just the mere word "pounding" in your vocabulary speaks volumes.

Relax and think a bit before you react.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM

62 posts, read 143,373 times
I had a similar thing happen to me, except the gentleman came in my home. It was early on a Saturday evening & my husband had left to run an errand. I was home with my 3 children. I heard the front door open & I thought it was my husband coming back until I heard the dog bark in a threatening way. I walk into the foyer to see a strange man in my house. Instinct and adrenaline kicked in. I basically shoved this man out my front door and locked it. The man kept asking for someone the entire time & I kept telling him no & he needed to get out. I then called the police. When I calmed down I realized in horror that the man was elderly & probably confused. It all happened very fast & all I knew was that man needed to out of my house. Sometimes things happen quickly & you react. That is what I think happened with SA Greed.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM

777 posts, read 1,599,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrads View Post
I had a similar thing happen to me, except the gentleman came in my home. It was early on a Saturday evening & my husband had left to run an errand. I was home with my 3 children. I heard the front door open & I thought it was my husband coming back until I heard the dog bark in a threatening way. I walk into the foyer to see a strange man in my house. Instinct and adrenaline kicked in. I basically shoved this man out my front door and locked it. The man kept asking for someone the entire time & I kept telling him no & he needed to get out. I then called the police. When I calmed down I realized in horror that the man was elderly & probably confused. It all happened very fast & all I knew was that man needed to out of my house. Sometimes things happen quickly & you react. That is what I think happened with SA Greed.
Exactly. At the end of the day, it is an upsetting and embarrassing and potentially violent situation, but nobody can blame you - or SA Greed for the reaction to the "in your face" situation, right now.

Life isn't perfect. Sometimes, things just happen and none of us realize what is going on until we read about it here.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,474,322 times
I'd feel bad that I cursed at an innocent person. I'd have probably run over or drove near him and apologized for cursing him and explained that we had been startled. Then he could have apologized for startling you and made a joke about how he can't remember anything anymore and you both would have laughed and you would have agreed that getting older is hard. Then you would have waved and wished him well and he would have done the same and you would have driven away feeling good about people, the world and yourself. It'll be better next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio