U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 PM

634 posts, read 2,179,254 times

Advertisements

I've started my own vegetable garden with soil and seeds from Wal-Mart

Each of the plants seems to be thriving.
I have tomatoes, zucchini, mint, green onions, string beans, peppers, and basil growing now.

It's a fun thing to do if you've got some time on your hands and will probably save you a small amount of money... Every little helps.

During World War II, there were "Victory Gardens" which had produce grown by the homemakers to support the war effort by not straining public food sources.

Do any of yall have a produce garden of your own? If not, will you consider it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM

139 posts, read 240,090 times
I would love to start a vegetable garden once I get settled down there. (I am currently in KS, moving to SA in 2.5 weeks)
I have the space. Just need to find the time and how to keep the dog out!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM

871 posts, read 1,903,830 times
I started a raised bed garden in March using lumber to make the two beds 12' x 6'. The soil was a mixture of Calloway's garden soil, peat moss, peralite, composte, manure, and vegetable garden soil from Lowes. I planted lots of tomato plants, some squash, cucumbers, two asparagus plants, two bags of onions (white and red) and garlic left over from the huge bag I got at Sam's. The squash didn't do so well -- I think the squash bugs found them and did too much damage. The cucumber vine has one cucumber on it, but the rest shriveled up. Don't know why... The cilantro and basil from seed didn't do as well as I wanted, but the dill sure grew well. Probably the best produces so far have been the beans and okra planted from seed. My tomatoes are just starting to turn red. The tomatoes grew like crazy, but just haven't set that much fruit. Two of the three plants that do have fruit are the small tomatoes -- Sweet 1000, I think. The peppers I planted from seed just didn't do well. I think I planted them too late.

Next on the garden calendar is to figure out when and what to plant for the fall!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 AM

422 posts, read 1,034,527 times
Each year I get my boys to grow a vegie garden. This year we did a raised bed. The soils is a mixture of Scotts, Top soil, and composte all bag bought from Home Depot. I layered the bottom of the raised bed with a weed blocker, and planted cucumbers, cantelope, green onion, cilantro, chili peppers, green beans, and water melon. Everything was planted from seed starting off in one of those little plastic green house thingajigs and transplanted to the garden when they were big enough. Everything has done well except the watermelon. NO watermelon this year.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM

164 posts, read 386,910 times
I've been an on/off gardener for the past 6 or so years. One year I grew so many tomatoes and peppers that I had to feed them to deer/give them away!

Some of my friends who own an art gallery on south flores have a HUGE vegetable garden going right now...and there is a public garden operated by http://www.myspace.com/presacommunitygarden the SAGO organization.

Gardening in general is such a wholesome activity and kids love it! With the economy headed in the direction that it is, and gas continuing to go up, activities like growing (some of) your own food will become more and more important. I'm all for it!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,347,691 times
I have something growing int he garden all year long. Tomatoes have been taking most of my time lately but they are all but done now. I'll be freezing tomato sauce with the last remaining tom's. My plants produced 127 lbs this year. I wasn't expecting that much with the drought. I just got back from the tomato festival where there were over 150 varieties for our tasting pleasure. Peppers and basil will be next in. I haven't decided if I will be doing fall tomatoes or not. I hate to try it if it's not going to rain. Around September I will plant broccoli transplants and cabbage. I might try to do some beans before it freezes.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM

734 posts, read 2,096,055 times
My basil and zucchini are doing well. The chives and radishes wilted in the heat. The cilantro and tomatoes are slow going, maybe they won't survive? We'll have our raised beds installed this week, but will probably wait for Fall to plant in there. I think it's too hot to plant now! My container gardens seem to be doing ok right now, although I think the zucchini should be moved since it's so big.

I hope to have a full garden next year. I've only been wanting on for the past 7 years and now finally have one! One year we had a successful balcony garden for our herbs and some peppers. I miss that. I can't wait to make a pesto with my basil

Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 AM

2,746 posts, read 9,838,143 times
We have plans for a LARGE veggie garden in the backyard but I am so new to the whole thing that I don't know where to start.. or if I can even start now, in the summer heat?

I put in my raised flower beds in front and I have set aside a small on (in front) for mint, basil, and bell peppers. The pepper plants look great, but I am wondering when they start to bear fruit? They were tiny when I bought them, I've had them for 2 months and they're growing fine but no peppers.

My mint is doing okay and my basil is going wild. My cilantro died, as did the thyme.

Anyway I want the whole huge real deal in the back but no clue what I'm doing so I need to read read read first. I would like to grow enough to seriously cut food costs for the five of us, and encourage us to eat more veggies. We would want spinach, cucumber, canteloupe, onions, broccoli, green beans, and whatever else would work. Not even sure if all of those will work, but I can't wait until I can get started. My 10 year old is SUPER excited too. He used to have gardening class regularly at his old school and the kids maintained the garden and brought home the fruits of their labor all the time. So he'll probably teach me a thing or two as we go along!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 12,634 times
do you guys have trouble with raising zuch, it is now middle of summer and no zuch yet, i would harvesting in nj by this time

Old 07-12-2009, 02:02 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,137,111 times
How did you all know what to do, how to start. I have been getting so many different opinions that I am overwhelmed and dont know where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio