U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM

44 posts, read 97,737 times
Default Driving the 10 through Texas

Hi, I'm going to be driving the I-10 through Texas this summer and want to know the highway conditions..good roads? construction going on? areas to watch out for? I'm going through San Antonio then down through Houston. I've never been to Texas before and I have Washington plates, will I get harassed for that? I'm scared of Texas, but I hope everyone will be nice..do people get road rage there? thanks in advance, rikki_5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 AM

4,148 posts, read 5,156,183 times
No you will not get harassed if you know what lane to drive in on a two lane (in the same direction like I10 in the rural areas) you will be fine. In San Antonio I recommended you take I ten through the city its wider and no more construction Except right before you get into town. 1604 around (well it used to be around the city) is also a good route.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,828,657 times
No saying "driving the 10"........ then you're okay.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 AM

794 posts, read 2,870,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikki_5 View Post
I'm scared of Texas, but I hope everyone will be nice.
WTF? I'm traveling this summer, too. Should I be afraid of Montana? What about Kansas... those people are pretty sketchy too.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:24 AM

8,310 posts, read 12,874,146 times
For one, Texas is a strong military state, with numerous bases throughout. It is also a popular vacation destination due to its beauty and wide array of things to do. As such, out-of-state tags are very common here.

Secondly, this is one of the--if not THE--most friendliest places in the country. Texans pride themselves on their hospitality and warm-heartedness. Now, you may not see a lot of that if you are only traveling on the interstate; but if you have the chance get off the main roads and see some "real" Texas. I am sure you'll like what you find.

But, if you are only passing through our great state, have no fear as you will still see some of the beauty it has to offer. Just keep to the right lane unless passing, use your signals, and enjoy the drive!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-27-2008, 05:31 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,580,264 times
As an addition to what others have said, watch yourself in and through Houston. There is a good bit of construction going on (especially on the east side of the city all the way to Beaumont). Lanes are screwy and it's easy to cross over into another lane if you're not careful. This is especially true at night, and even more so when it's raining (personal experience).

Hope you enjoy your travels through our great state!

--Dim

Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,525,171 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm going to be driving the I-10 through Texas this summer and want to know the highway conditions..good roads? construction going on? areas to watch out for? I'm going through San Antonio then down through Houston. I've never been to Texas before and I have Washington plates, will I get harassed for that? I'm scared of Texas, but I hope everyone will be nice..do people get road rage there? thanks in advance, rikki_5
I drive around with WA tags every day without any problems, and drove I-10 to get here through El Paso. No construction on the way. The thing you'll pick up on fast is that people down here don't know that left lane = faster, right lane = slower. And they drive a lot faster. If you're thinking about speeding in the remote areas (it's 80mph speed limit) I wouldn't bother. There's a lot of troopers out there but not as many as you'll see in Oregon.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 AM

340 posts, read 911,759 times
Default Watch the speed

I've recently relocated here from the northwest area and i've noted that Texas drivers don't always use there turn signals when changing lanes.They also do not yield to those entering the freeways.Keep this in mind while driving and also don't try to push your luck on the posted speed limits(like I know Wa. drivers do).You will get pulled over if you creep over just a little;especially in the areas posted 80 mph.At that speed they won't hesitate to pull you over.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 AM

1,879 posts, read 3,255,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I drive around with WA tags every day without any problems, and drove I-10 to get here through El Paso. No construction on the way. The thing you'll pick up on fast is that people down here don't know that left lane = faster, right lane = slower. And they drive a lot faster. If you're thinking about speeding in the remote areas (it's 80mph speed limit) I wouldn't bother. There's a lot of troopers out there but not as many as you'll see in Oregon.
Scuba Steve is close but not really correct but that's OK he's a newby to Texas. Unless othwise posted you can use the left lane all you want as long as you are doing the speed limit and not restricting other drivers from doing the speed limit in that lane. If you prefer to drive under the speed limit you should stay in the right lane. A lot of drivers (usually out of state) are under the impression that Left Lane = Fast Lane. Speed limits apply to all lanes.There are some areas where it is posted that the "Left Lane Is For Passing Only". Passing is not an excuse to exceed the speed limit. As you cross the state line into Texas I believe they have raised the speed limit to 80 MPH. I have heard that the plus or minus 5 mph doesn't work for the 80 mph areas. I have heard of people being ticketed for 81 or 82 in an 80. You might want to keep it around 78 just to be safe. Have fun and enjoy Texas. About the only thing anyone will harass you about is saying things like "Driving the 10". Enjoy.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 AM

10,591 posts, read 9,212,951 times
Quote:
the area around seguin is a well known speed trap. please be careful when going thru there. enjoy the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio