U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 16,089 times

Advertisements

Greetings. We are considering purchasing a home in Hill Country Village. We had looked in Alamo Heights but haven't found anything we like as much. I would be very interested in people thoughts about this community and location. I looked for other threads on this area and didn't find much. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:18 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,961,024 times
Very desirable area. Some of the most expensive homes in San Antonio are in HCV. What price range are you looking at? Some of the homes are tear downs. The new construction in the area has been tear downs as old ranch style homes from the 60's are leveled and mansions built in their place. If anyone doubts this go out to bcad.org and look up the name kolitz on w. bitters. Then go to maps.live.com and look at the birds eye shots. Easily the nicest and largest estate in San Antonio. It rivals anything else in Bexar County. I was in it a few weeks before it was finished - and it is amazing.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks! Not a big fan of teardowns so we are looking at homes that need renovation or updating. We like that this is inside 1604 but has a rural feel.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 PM

418 posts, read 846,844 times
yup, I'm with you. I prefer much of Hill Country Village compared to AH. Very low key, convenient neighborhood.

AH schools are probably more academically rigorous though.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,596,947 times
I grew up in HCV, and it really is a bit of peace in the middle of the city. There is a big emphasis on privacy, which you won't find in AH. You know your neighbors, but you don't interact much. There are lots of horses and acerage homes in HCV; the lots in Hollywood Park are smaller, and the houses closer together, but it's still very charming. I will warn you about the HCV police, they take their jobs very seriously! Speeders beware, and that includes residents!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $89,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,652 posts, read 21,669,319 times
There are big, big lots in HCV, with lots of deer. I'd compare the public schools there favorably against any in the county. Being inside 1604 is a big advantage, too. If you can afford to live there, you should go for it.

Hollywood Park to the north is similar, with more affordable homes and smaller lots.

Both are cities in their own right, separate from San Antonio.

The one disadvantage I would point out, compared to nearby areas is that HP and HCV get their water from Bexar Met. That's a less-desirable water utility, compared to SAWS.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks so much for the insights. Wasn't aware of the water. Our kids will be at Saint Mary's Hall so schools are not a primary factor for us. We really liked the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio