U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM

32 posts, read 61,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
You're kidding, right? There are more non-stop flights to Mexico's capital every day than there are to our own.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/aviation/i...00823421PM.pdf
One flight a day ONLY to Monterrey -- I think it rather proves my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM

222 posts, read 463,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I'm not at all surprised with this news. They probably cannot recruit and retain top executives because those types of people will not thrive in a backwater South Texas town. I'm sorry--that's just how it is. It's the same reason that UTSA cannot recruit and retain top faculty. The only people who do not see this are the locals who love San Antonio dearly. They'd never understand how the most urbane and educated would be turned off by the idea of raising a family here.
I beg to differ. My husband and I are both college educated and he graduated from Incarnate Word University with straight A's. He comes from a well to do family in Mexico City and most of our friends hold the equivalent or higher. He has a great job and I have my own business.

In response to what you said regarding "urbane and educated" people - as I just explained - we are both well educated. It was a top priority in both of our families and in the families of all of our close friends, all of whom live HERE and all of whom are successful. With regards to sophistication, well, that's all a matter of opinion. In some parts of the world some people burp loudly after meals and it is accepted amongst their "sophisticated" society.

We have family members who have been directors and above with several major companies here in San Antonio. One of them retired two years ago after 25 years of service to his company (and no it wasn't USAA ). He also held his doctorate. We also have long time educators, small business owners (aside from myself) and so on. You get my point, I'm sure. I can't fathom why you'd make such a generalization. San Antonio is large and diverse and to say something like that is rather small of you.

I'd be offended if it didn't sound so dumb.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 PM

32 posts, read 61,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Oh dude their are four red underlined words. FYI firefox as spell check in the explore app. Anyway, UTSA is an up and coming university. Did you expect it to go poof over night? We have already addressed the San Antonio is..... in every thread and yet her we go again. The topic was derailed on post 70 I think.

I can easily spell check the words - -that is easy. If part of the rules for posting here is not to have typos then I will gladly comply.

Yes UTSA is trying and I wish it well - the president is very good. I am sorry for apparently insulting UTSA grads -- you are probably one this is a sensitive issue. However this does not change the facts.

I think the problem I see is maybe that the first language of many of the students is not English and I think that this is a disadvantage when the language of business is English. (American English that is.)

Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,023,611 times
so anyhow... is anyone on this board personally affected by this move?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,264,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
so anyhow... is anyone on this board personally affected by this move?
I don't feel guilty anymore that I stopped supporting a home town business.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,023,611 times
I would think some employees here would not want to move to Dallas. That's why I asked my question above.

and this is a pretty important SA specific topic that is getting seriously derailed.. and I love derailments, but this is a little too much

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,876,627 times
Back on topic, here's an interesting article:
AT&T Moves to Dallas, But Is That an Improvement? - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 8,455 times
i likes jerman beer. is good.
meng, you san antonio hater are rude.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 PM

74 posts, read 124,297 times
I just can't believe the mayor had no warning of this. Apparently AT&T's new CEO and the mayor of Dallas had talks about this move for a year.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,264,091 times
Everything points to the wants of the CEO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio