U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM

436 posts, read 1,445,674 times

Advertisements

I know the Stone Oak area has horrible traffic, but how about the east side of 281? I was considering homes around Evans/Bulverde (Terraces at Encino, Cibolo Canyon, etc.) and did not know if the traffic was better over there. (I thought I had read on one thread that you could turn right on evans off 281 (going north) and miss some of the traffic that way).

Also, does anyone know where the main entrance of the Marriott will be? and how that will affect traffic once it opens? same with the golf courses.

thanks in advance for answering! you guys are all so great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,113,965 times
In the long run, I am pretty sure the east side will have better traffic. Especially after they widen Bulverde and 281 is expanded. (in that order)

Having 2 major hospitals in Stone Oak, will create permanent traffic. Ie. High density, and people not knowing where they are going.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,440,198 times
I live west of 281, and work east of 281. IMHO, I feel like east has/will have more traffic problems...

*only one north/south road (Bulverde) which is undergoing construction right now...I don't know it it will be enough to support the area.

*LOTS of undeveloped land to the east, still. Potentially much more traffic.

*Yes, SO has traffic during rush hours. However, road upgrades and turns have been put in place along the way, mainly due to the diligence of the Stone Oak HOA. Also, there are two N/S passages (Blanco and Stone Oak).

Obviously, it's still a personal preference. Traffic E of 281 around school dismissal times and rush hour will be a bear. As it is, traffic literally stops on 281 starting around...4ish?

The key is to live where you have several approaches to get home...

Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 20,554 times
I can't answer the traffic question, because we're not in San Antonio yet ourselves.

We're a week away from moving into Cibolo Canyons, though, and I can tell you that the main entrance for the resort will be off of Cibolo Canyon Blvd. I assume the golf courses, too??

CB Blvd. stretches east from Bulverde Rd., then curves south/southeast to Evans, where there will eventually be another entrance into the community. I haven't been down in a few weeks, so I'm not sure of the status of the Evans Rd. entrance.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,877,457 times
IMO your splitting hairs. If you are planning tho live in the area that you mentioned gridlock is going to be a way of life for a very long time if not forever. East of 281? West of 281? Flip a coin.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM

734 posts, read 2,738,718 times
It really makes a difference also where you want to commute to. Bulverde Rd. will eventually be 4 lanes, and that will help a lot. But right now, while the roads are being expanded and with the new high school, you will get a lot of traffic similar to what is in front of Reagan right now. Evan's Rd. is already getting a large amount of after-work traffic coming West (they take the Green Mountain exit from 1604 and head toward Encino Park.) Marshall Rd. off of Bulverde is another way to access 281, but 281 already has huge amounts of traffic!

The main entrance to Marriott will be off Evan's Rd - across from Fox Grove. It will also be an alternate exit for Cibolo Canyon's residents if they wanted. It is nowhere near ready for a while.

We prefer being to the East, but I'm not looking forward to now having to cross 281 at Evan's when the HEB Plus is done. I avoid 281 whenever possible!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,440,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
We prefer being to the East, but I'm not looking forward to now having to cross 281 at Evan's when the HEB Plus is done. I avoid 281 whenever possible!
Yes, the crossing of 281 itself at Evans Rd is a bear...

Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,113,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Yes, the crossing of 281 itself at Evans Rd is a bear...
I wonder if people think eating Cheetos makes them fast. They should of picked another orange/yellow animal.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,226,435 times
Needsomeinfo, if traffic is a primary concern for you, living north of 1604 around 281 would be a mistake. Take another look at areas south of 1604. There are good schools to be found there, plenty of gas stations, and it's close to shopping.

Last edited by Bo; 07-01-2008 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM

436 posts, read 1,445,674 times
thanks for all the info.

I would be happy to live inside 1604, but we are looking for a newer neighborhood (preferably under 5 years old) with great schools. I keep trying to get away from the Stone Oak area, but it really seems to fit our needs (newer, good schools, safe, not in flight path, good builders, and low-mid 300s for 3200 sq ft home.) so, in asking the question, I am trying to make the best decision to minimize the flaws of the area (traffic).

I am totally open to other areas and have considered neighborhoods off i-10 as well, but have been told that i-10 is bad as well. is it as bad as 281?

I hestiate to go as far west as Alamo Ranch, since I have heard that inner west SA is not a safe area and I was worried it would be too close. Plus, at the rate it is being developed, it might turn out as bad as SO in the next few years.

I am really open to any suggetions you guys have. You have had great advice so far.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or