U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: southern california
48,890 posts, read 45,102,811 times
Reputation: 39822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
It's a sick world when we are joyous over a man who shot two unarmed men in the back because they were stealing material things. So sick!
stealing material things is called robbery. why do you say unarmed?
how did they get in the house? walk in?
you need tools to break in a house.
they threatened him and were on his property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
 
51 posts, read 12,865 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
It's a sick world when we are joyous over a man who shot two unarmed men in the back because they were stealing material things. So sick!
So, I guess he should've helped them move the stuff then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,148 posts, read 5,101,086 times
Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
So why not just discuss it over there?

Was just wondering...

And not everyone is jumping with joy. It is like a 60/40 split, with those favoring Horn at 60 and those opposed at 40.
Those 40 live in STONE OAK or Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Funky Town
15,920 posts, read 4,556,655 times
Reputation: 58433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Those 40 live in STONE OAK or Austin!
Now we're bringing Austin into this place??????

Kewl, I love us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 89,306 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
stealing material things is called robbery. why do you say unarmed?
how did they get in the house? walk in?
you need tools to break in a house.
they threatened him and were on his property.
Stealing material things is wrong.

But it was not Horn's things. They were not on his property. Horn said he felt he was in danger, but he should have stayed inside like the 911 operator told him. The operator even said "Mr. Horn, it is not worth killing over property". Horn already had the mindset of killing them before heading outside. It was predetermined.

What if Horn missed and hit an innocent bystander?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
 
380 posts, read 875,494 times
Reputation: 125
Sorry buddy the law is the law. The criminals know the law and chose to take that risk, just like that other idiot the other night here in SA and the other idiot who tried to car jack someone with a knife, they new the price they could pay and chose to pay it with their life. Let's not make excuses for the criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
 
51 posts, read 12,865 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Stealing material things is wrong.

But it was not Horn's things. They were not on his property. Horn said he felt he was in danger, but he should have stayed inside like the 911 operator told him. The operator even said "Mr. Horn, it is not worth killing over property". Horn already had the mindset of killing them before heading outside. It was predetermined.

What if Horn missed and hit an innocent bystander?
Didn't you get the memo? Mr. Horn was also threatened! I would also have made the predetermination to kill someone, if I was being threatened. They were already breaking the law, so what makes you think they wouldn't have gone one step further and harmed Mr. Horn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,298 posts, read 12,632,295 times
Reputation: 4363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Stealing material things is wrong.

But it was not Horn's things. They were not on his property. Horn said he felt he was in danger, but he should have stayed inside like the 911 operator told him. The operator even said "Mr. Horn, it is not worth killing over property". Horn already had the mindset of killing them before heading outside. It was predetermined.

What if Horn missed and hit an innocent bystander?
I think you mean 'premeditated,' not 'predetermined;' and either way, it was neither.

Texas law allowed him to intervene, even if it was someone else's property; and a Grand Jury found that he acted within the law. And, once again, the criminals WERE ON MR HORN'S PROPERTY THREATENING HIM when he shot them, which was confirmed by the Pasedena police department. He had every right to defend himself.

Plus, the 911 operator cannot order a law-abiding citizen what to do in such a situation, and was wrong to even tell him that he could not intervene. Horn was well within his rights and the Texas judicial system backed him up. You may not like that fact, but that is the law.

M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,298 posts, read 12,632,295 times
Reputation: 4363
Proven facts from Gun Facts (v5.0)...

Quote:
Fact: 60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.
Fact: Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because they fear being shot.
Fact: 59% of the burglaries in Britain, which has tough gun control laws, are “hot burglaries” which are burglaries committed while the home is occupied by the owner/renter. By contrast, the U.S., with more lenient gun control laws, has a “hot burglary” rate of only 13%.
Fact: Washington D.C. has essentially banned gun ownership since 1976 and has a murder rate of 56.9 per 100,000. Across the river in Arlington, Virginia, gun ownership is less restricted. There, the murder rate is just 1.6 per 100,000, less than three percent of the Washington, D.C. rate.
Fact: 26% of all retail businesses report keeping a gun on the premises for crime control.
Fact: In 1982, Kennesaw, GA passed a law requiring heads of households to keep at least one firearm in the house. The residential burglary rate dropped 89% the following year.
Fact: A survey of felons revealed the following:
• 74% of felons agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime."
• 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."
You cannot argue with the facts.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Griesheim, Germany
13,805 posts, read 18,352,344 times
Reputation: 3923
some people don't have a problem arguing with facts.. I don't know why, but they definitely don't let the facts get in the way of their logic train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top