Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:28 PM

164 posts, read 555,400 times

Advertisements

Hey...does anybody have the skinny on whether the Fireworks ban is still happening? We're headed to a friends ranch in Comal county for the weekend and I want to know the scoop before purchasing them.

It seems like all the rain may have made it safe to set them off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,517 times
I saw on the news that the ban is still in effect. They said it would take two weeks of sustained rain to make it safe for fireworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
Hey...does anybody have the skinny on whether the Fireworks ban is still happening? We're headed to a friends ranch in Comal county for the weekend and I want to know the scoop before purchasing them.

It seems like all the rain may have made it safe to set them off?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:49 PM

164 posts, read 555,400 times
damn!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Yep, it's pretty serious; read this (http://www.co.comal.tx.us/Orders/Disaster_Declaration_Exec_Order_6-23-08.pdf - broken link)...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,403 times
I was driving home from HEB this evening heading down 281 north. There are 3 firework stands, one right after the other, and they all looked empty. I am sure glad to see that.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
yep, I was talking to one of the Fire Marshalls today, they put them on 72 hour emergency alert starting at 4pm today. He told me that today right in the midst of the downpour. Said the rain was nice, but in no way was changing anything. The ban is on for all of the city.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Besides, what kind of IDIOT would shoot off fireworks in the DRY landscape that surrounds us now, anyway????

OH!!! No offense, MTC.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
Agreed... hopefully by Christmas y'all can get your fireworks fix w/ some wetter conditions.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
It's more than just San Antonio, Bexar County has a ban on and several other counties in the area.

They are just a bad idea right now. I hope my neighbors realize that, they tend to ignore the bans in the past; but this year seems excetionally worse and even our HOA has put up signs.

And I am glad Helotes is actively enforcing the ban....

Quote:
HELOTES, Texas -- One Bexar County man learned a hard lesson just minutes after purchasing fireworks outside the Helotes city limits Tuesday.

With drought conditions peaking and the memories of a large mulch fire at the beginning of 2007, Helotes police said they're now strictly enforcing a 1987 zero-tolerance ban on fireworks within the city limits.

Located just off Highway 16 is a fireworks stand, which is located in Bexar County. The sale of fireworks is still legal in the county despite a disaster declaration prohibiting the use of fireworks outside established safe zones on July 3 and 4. But one man who said he just moved from California was unaware of the ban and was pulled over as soon as he started on the roadway...(full story (http://www.ksat.com/news/16763700/detail.html?rss=ant&psp=news - broken link) and video (http://www.ksat.com/news/16763700/detail.html?rss=ant&psp=news# - broken link))
Might explain why we're not seeing a lot of customers at these fireworks stands!

By the way, just up Talley Road from Culebra there is an "established safe zone." There were several firetrucks there when I went by the other day...and the field looks like it has already burned.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,517 times
A bunch of people did it in on New Years and there were fires all over the place. So many fires that people were getting busy signals when they tried to call 911. And even when it's wet, they shoot off those giant ariel fireworks in neighborhoods where the houses are too close together for safety.

I just can't rap my mind around it. These people that shoot off fireworks when it's dry and flick their lit cigerettes out their car windows, etc..

Do they watch the news ever? Do they think the news is lying? Do they think that even though other's carelessness starts fires that somehow their carelessness won't.

I have watched people in my old neighborhood walk out away from their house to set off fireworks. Don't they know (or care) that the further they walk from their house, the closer they are to somone else's house?

Sorry for the rant.
I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Besides, what kind of IDIOT would shoot off fireworks in the DRY landscape that surrounds us now, anyway????

OH!!! No offense, MTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio