U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,869,427 times

Advertisements

Hello from rainy Arizona! I'm moving to San Antonio in a few months and will be working in the vicinity of the airport (I think there's a big mall right near my new office). Anyway, I have friends who live in the northeast part of town, zip code 78247 and am wondering if anyone can recommend neighborhoods out that way, or even closer to Universal City/Randolph that would be less than $180K for a house and have low crime. I want to live in a newer neighborhood, quiet and within a reasonable distance of a Target

Does anyone have opinions of the northeast, good or bad?

How long would the commute be from Universal City to the Airport? How about to the Riverwalk on a Friday night? Please keep in mind that I've lived in L.A. and DC, so "horrible traffic" is a relative term.

I can't wait to get there! I'll be out house hunting in August and moving in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:37 AM

67 posts, read 236,056 times
Sounds like you'll be working near North Star Mall. Hmmm, newer neighborhood, under $180,000 near Target. Probably your best bet for a Target would be the one at 281 & Bitters, or you could go farther north on 281 to the one just past Evans Rd.

78247 is just inside 1604 & runs on the east side of Jones-Maltsberger, both sides of Bulverde/Wetmore Rd. and east towards Nacogdoches. Wetmore Rd runs along the east side of the airport, so it makes for a easy commute. It's also very convenient to McAllister Park. Great if you're active.

We have friends that live in the Green Springs Valley subdivision in that area. Older custom homes, but very quiet, big nature area, community pool and very active HOA.

Oak Ridge Village is located on Thousand Oaks, just west of Wetmore Rd.
Moderator cut: cut

Fall Creek is near the corner of Thousand Oaks & Jones-Maltsberger. Moderator cut: cut

I don't think you're going to find anything "newer" in your price range. For resale value & commute I would stay in the North Central area. Those neighborhoods can get you to work in under 20 minutes and downtown in 30-40 (rush hour).

Last edited by Beretta; 07-05-2008 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: sorry, linking to realtor sites is not allowed, please use www.realtor.com, thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 AM

3,154 posts, read 5,192,271 times
If you want to be close to a Target, be advised that a new Super Target is under construction on the SW corner of Loop 410 & San Pedro (former Central Park Mall site). Usually, the two nearest smaller Target stores will be shut down when a new Super Target opens. This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is the 281 & Bitters, along with the 281 & Sunset locations will close.

It sounds like the new Super Target may be close to your workplace, though.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Target is more of a secondary (or thirdly, or fourthly) "perk". Where I live in Arizona, in Sierra Vista, just about the only decent shopping I have is a Target - the mall is terrible, and the Walmart & Kmart, well I just don't go there.

I have been looking at new homes on the Internet and it looks like I could get something around $180K but they seem to be a bit further out, north or east. I'm not sure how much living beyond Randolph would add to the commute and how far away that is from "civilization". Someone I know who used to live there told me to stay away from the East side, but I'm not sure exactly which area he was referring to.

I'm hoping for something "newer", meaning less than around 7 or 8 years old, maybe even 3 or 4. I just don't want to have to deal with new carpet, new paint, A/C problems, etc. right when I move in. I guess I'll see in August when I come out there to look. As long as I'm within about 30 minutes of work during rush hour, I'll be way ahead of where I was in L.A. (45 minutes) and DC (1 hour).

thanks for the info.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 AM

483 posts, read 1,426,570 times
I lived in Oak Ridge Village for about 2 years total, and its a nice, quiet neighborhood with one proviso: You're right under a flight path, so planes fly over frequently. Didn't take long to get used to it, though. I always saw quite a few cars with VA plates parked in driveways, so I assume there's military people in the neighborhood or people from the D.C. area; there's always lots of kids around; the pool always seems to be clean. There was a recurring problem with street lights going out and not being repaired, but it was really just a minor concern, as I often walked my dog at night.

As for shopping, there's an H-E-B >5 minutes down the road at Jones-Maltsberger and Thousand Oaks. I worked near the airport as well, in the Pavilions shopping center between McCullough and San Pedro. It took 10-15 minutes to get there and I never even had to get on a freeway. Just take T.O. to Wetmore Rd., go south past the airport until you get to the I-410 frontage road, go through the light at Airport Blvd (right in front of the airport entrance, then go down two more lights and you're at North Star Mall. Piece of cake, especially now that the 281/410 interchange is finished and fewer people are using the frontage roads.

I could be wrong, but I believe a Super Target is going to be part of the new shopping center going up at 1604 and Bulverde Rd, which would be >10 minutes away. All in all, 78247 is a good area to be in, though the North East side as a whole is slightly more blue-collar and industrial than North Central or North West, which have more residents in the financial and medical fields. There's some areas along Nacogdoches Rd that can look iffy, but I've never heard of any serious crime problems around there.

Good luck with your search and enjoy S.A.!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Hmmm, maybe I don't want to go too far to the northeast then. What would the road be that separates the "northeast" from "north-central"? Also, once you get outside 1604 to the north, is traffic heading south on 281 in the morning pretty bad? About how much time would it take to get from, say Stone Oak, to the North Star Mall at 8 am?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 AM

15,343 posts, read 27,540,368 times
My mother in law just moved last year from her home near NorthStar Mall out to Bulverde. The area has seemed to have steadily gone down in the 30+ years she has lived there. I would recommend going up 281 to Bitters or beyond, basically to the north central area. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM

One more question. How long would it take to drive from the Shertz area to the airport during rush hour. Is Shertz a nice area? How about Universal City? Live Oak?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,626,367 times
Shertz to the airport, probably, max, 1/2 hour, worse case, its a small rural, but a sorta absorbed area of SA now. If I were in your shoes, I would come into town, rent for 3 months, and look at the houses that are for sale here, the market is becoming flooded with the moving of the businesses out of SA, so a lot of big deals are going to be available. at the end of 08, you should be able to make a great bargain. But, thats my opinion on the market and SA's trend of housing. especially of pre-owned housing.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM

127 posts, read 443,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
One more question. How long would it take to drive from the Shertz area to the airport during rush hour. Is Shertz a nice area? How about Universal City? Live Oak?
Live Oak and U.C. both are very nice places to live and shop but some parts give off an older, stagnant feel.

Schertz/Cibolo are both booming and have that fresh feel to them, in my opinion.

Traffic is worsening in all areas of the city but that is expected with the amount of growth the area has had in such a short amount of time.

Most parts of the city are nice, especially on the Northsides (NE,NC,NW) but, there are always little pockets of crime in areas that can damage that areas reputation. But all in all, the areas you mentioned are clean, efficient, and most importantly SAFE.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or