Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobvandy View Post
Nice work. That paints a good picture of how SA is laid out and says it better than I could have in words. It would be interesting to see someone break down the zip codes by crime rate. That would tell a lot also.
I posted this in another thread, but here is a great site that breaks down all the zip codes independantly:

http://www.moving.com/find_a_place/c...=san%20antonio

http://www.moving.com/Find_a_Place/C...ults.asp?City=

Old 01-17-2007, 01:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Looks like SA is racially sergated. Can you also mention crime and costs of living? I have seen some very affordable housing and this got me curious

As a almost life long resident of SA, it's very hard to say this city is segragated. San Antonio is primarily hispanic.....population stats prove that. The population mostly a mix of hispanic and anglos with a relatively small African American community compared to other major US cities.

If we take a look at the history of San Antonio and South Texas, there were very few slave owners in this part of the country before the 1860's because farming was not a big industry....let alone the population growth was small. Most emigrants were from Germany(Bavaria) or Alsace and raised agriculture....goats and sheep....they migrated to the hill country because that was preferable topography for raising livestock. After the civil war, during reconstruction, the government granted land and property to the freed slaves. That property happened to be mostly on the Eastern side of the city. Therefore the African American population has grown in that area......this isn't about segragation. St Hedwig has a rich history of Czech and Polish descendants helping the newly freed slaves with building schools and providing homes while they assimilated to new homes. Another area that is similar is Peyton's Colony up near Blanco, but much smaller in population.

I'm not claiming that there is no racial tension in SA.....there is like any other large city.....but segregation not quite the definition.

One other thing to note is that the areas of town are confused with the names of the school districts. Northside ISD is more North and West....and Northeast is more North and Central. Churchill, Reagan, Lee and MacArthur are due North of downtown but still in the NEISD.

As far as city designations, there is downtown....and then anything inside Loop 410 is considered "near" North, South, East or West. Outside loop 410 but not really outside 1604 is considered "far" North South East or West. Some of the areas outside 1604 actually fall into other townships like Helotes....and others are simply in a neighboring county.

I hope that helps some.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
The shallow linking of race to desirable places to live is not a fact or truth; it is embarrassing.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,189 times
I guess thats why the South East side and East side are soooo overloaded with developments and crowded schools...

The only school in SAISD that is at the 5A level is Highlands.

The desirable places to live are where all the growth and demand is at..

NORTH SIDE, NORTH WEST, NORTH EAST

Deal with it and stop looking thu rose colored glasses.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:29 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
NOVEMBERHAWK is right on the money every city has its desirable places to live and its not so desirable. Every city has its areas that are predominatley one race. I do not see a problem with this. South San Antonio may begin to become a nice area once A&M comes in.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Thanks MV..

I am just glad that this forum has people that keep it real because there are too many people on here that try and paint a false picture of San Antonio. Sure, SA has a lot of good but they have just as much bad.

Things that these certain posters fail to mention is that the East side, which was already nearly all black has now become home to numerous more Hurricane Katrina refugees(mainly black) and crime on the lower NE side and E side has seen a rise.

Crime rates have skyrocketed in major Texas metros such as Houston, Dallas and San Antonio since the refugees have lived here.

Its an ugly truth, but key word is TRUTH.

Lets try to paint an honest and real picture of San Antonio and lets not give false information to people considering a move here.

I like San Antonio as a whole but the facts are facts.

And before someone gets bent out of shape on the race card, just think twice and look up the figures for crime in SA and you will see that there is a reason why the East side is in the state it is in now.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:54 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
I guess thats why the South East side and East side are soooo overloaded with developments and crowded schools...

The only school in SAISD that is at the 5A level is Highlands.

The desirable places to live are where all the growth and demand is at..

NORTH SIDE, NORTH WEST, NORTH EAST

Deal with it and stop looking thu rose colored glasses.
The biggest demand is in the far west sector of the city, not the north or northwest or north east. And desirable is determined by opinion not fact or truth. It is left up to ones own opinion and preference as for the most desirable place for ones self, not demand and growth. That is only desirable for developers looking to cash in. The thing is, you pass this narrow-minded view off as if its some type of holy truth, it\'s not. You are doing a great disservice to many people.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
And before someone gets bent out of shape on the race card, just think twice and look up the figures for crime in SA and you will see that there is a reason why the East side is in the state it is in now.
Yes, because of the poverty situated on the east side. Not because of skin color. Poverty is what sparks and feeds crime not the color of ones skin. All you\'ve done on here is paint the ugly truth that you seem to be incapable of looking past a person’s skin color when laying out your truth and facts.

San Antonio isn’t perfect and no one can or does make that claim so I have no idea to the genesis of your crusade.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
The biggest demand is in the far west sector of the city, not the north or northwest or north east. And desirable is determined by opinion not fact or truth. It is left up to ones own opinion and preference as for the most desirable place for them is, not demand and growth. That\'s only desirable for developers. The thing is, you pass this narrow-minded view off as if its some type of holy truth, it\'s not. You are doing a great disservice to many people.
The only reason there isnt MORE growth on the North side is that it has almost been filled to capicity! Stone Oak has completely blown up in the past 10 years and is by far one of the best places to live in the area.

Answer my question, please.

If the South East side and East side is so great and desirable, why are schools there getting smaller and smaller when on the north side schools can not be built fast enough to hold the kids?

NISD and NEISD all have enrollments of 2300+ at all their high schools!

The only school in SAISD that has 2300+ is Highlands.

If those areas are so great, why are people not living there?!

NUMBERS DO NOT LIE!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The only reason there isnt MORE growth on the North side is that it has almost been filled to capicity! Stone Oak has completely blown up in the past 10 years and is by far one of the best places to live in the area.

Answer my question, please.

If the South East side and East side is so great and desirable, why are schools there getting smaller and smaller when on the north side schools can not be built fast enough to hold the kids?

NISD and NEISD all have enrollments of 2300+ at all their high schools!

The only school in SAISD that has 2300+ is Highlands.

If those areas are so great, why are people not living there?!
San Antonio Independent School District is the oldest school district in San Antonio, and its boundaries include the areas of San Antonio that have been developed and lived in for 40-50 years not to mention have been land locked because of other school districts East Central ISD to the east/southeast, Southwest ISD to the southwest and South San ISD to the south. The North side and Northeast districts are serving areas of the city that have seen the tremendous sprawl growth from about mid 1980 to now with most of the growth coming in the last 10 years. They\\\'ve had the undeveloped land for housing growth. 99.9% of the land in the SAISD district is developed with housing, retail; commercial, etc meaning it has reached its capstone.

And I take it you don’t venture south past downtown do you? I don’t mean that sarcastically I honestly believe that. Because so far all you’ve done is analyzed numbers from the internet and used them to support your argument.

Quote:
NUMBERS DO NOT LIE!
They don\'t give paint an entire picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio