U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:21 PM

283 posts, read 1,722,739 times

Advertisements

I just want people that are not in San Antonio that read this site to know the truth about economics and race in this city.

Whatever the reason, things are the way they are. And for the East side and South East side, they are not good at all.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,709,250 times
Nov......numbers are just stats. They don't tell the story behind them and the truth is only relative to whats important to each individual.

Generally when people begin looking for a home, the first thing on their list would be easy accessibility to work. Growth leans toward industry.....but what is "ok" for one person may not be acceptible to another. Obviously there are some factors that override things on our personal shopping list. Someone who has a family will consider a lot of other options like schools, hospitals, family friendly parks and recreation.....while a single mover and shaker might prefer the lofts downtown. I think everyone wants safety. San Antonio is a very mobile city....lots of transferring military, visiting Mexican Nationals with 2nd homes here.....so there are a lot of rentals as well. Everyone's shopping list for a home is different.

Personally I think your stats are very informative. What I don't appreciate are the disparaging comments that go along with them. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but why the hostility? Saying that San Antonio suffers from the same big city woes as other cities is not looking at this city with rose colored glasses. It's also a truth.

Why not just share the information without the mal content sprinkled all over it? It might actually be helpful to some people without spreading negative vibes. Why does this always seem to be a contest?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:37 PM

925 posts, read 892,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
I just want people that are not in San Antonio that read this site to know the truth about economics and race in this city.

Whatever the reason, things are the way they are. And for the East side and South East side, they are not good at all.
You make these claims with no second thought even though you have the slightest of knowledge concerning those areas. I will not disclose my profession but it requires me to drive throughout the city and allows access to city documents however, I do not work for the city, so I have good measurement of detail when it comes to the city and metro area.

The east side is a very poor area of the city, but areas within the east side are slowly changing, those include EastTown and the New Light District. There are tons of new residential projects blooming in EastTown which will slowly transform it into a really nice dense and urban neighborhood. As for the southeast side, there are many new housing developments being built on that side of the city. There is a gated community going up which homes being sold in the $250,000-$300,000 range.

I don\'t have a problem with you or your views and opinions because they are formed out of ignorance. Your wanting to help potential transplants is genuine and I applaud this, however you are going at it in the wrong fashion.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM

545 posts, read 2,085,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
The only school in SAISD that is at the 5A level is Highlands.

NISD and NEISD all have enrollments of 2300+ at all their high schools!

The only school in SAISD that has 2300+ is Highlands.
I don't see what this has to do with desirable places to live. To me, if I were moving to an area with a high-schooler, I'd want an area where the schools were small...where my child might get a little more individual attention.

Northside and Northeast are trying to maximize their building capacity for the growth in those areas, so they are building mega-schools, ala the new John Paul Stevens HS.

San Antonio ISD has smaller campuses than the other two large districts in town. Look at enrollment vs. campuses. North East ISD has 60,991 students and 61 campuses (neisd.net). Northside ISD has 81,811 students and 98 campuses (nisd.net). San Antonio ISD has 56,580 students and 94 campuses.

When you look at those numbers, it's easy to understand why SAISD only has one 5A high school, but I still don't know what that has to do with it being or not being a desireable district to live in. The campuses in SAISD are truely 'neighborhood' school, with the majority of students being within walking distance of their elementary school.

So...by just stating numbers and ethnic levels, are you really helping folks from out of town?

If you really want a good picture of the different parts of town, you need to check several different websites. I would recommend the following (if you're in the market for a house):

realtor.com - find a house you like, in your price range, then check the crimebase for that part of town (http://crimebase.mysanantonio.com/) (broken link). You can check by zip code, but I'd recommend popping open google maps, find the streets in the neighborhood that house is in, and check those streets in the crimebase. Finally, check the Texas Education Agency website (http://www.tea.state.tx.us) to check the school stats for that neighborhood.

Sure, it's a bit of work, and flipping between tabs on your browser, but to get a good picture you shouldn't trust just one source. We did this kind of detective work when we moved back to San Antonio and I'm really happy we did.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,764,238 times
I check the crime stats by zipcode,most realtor sites have where you can check the neighborhood statistics and it also has an ethnic breakdown. I appreciate these stats because I don't want to land myself the wrong part of town by accident especially with so much gang violence nowadays.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 PM

283 posts, read 1,722,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I check the crime stats by zipcode,most realtor sites have where you can check the neighborhood statistics and it also has an ethnic breakdown. I appreciate these stats because I don't want to land myself the wrong part of town by accident especially with so much gang violence nowadays.
I am glad you find these stats useful.

This is exactly why I posted them.

Research all you can before making a move to a new place. You can never be too safe when it comes to making a new home.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,260,766 times
I don't know why this thread is such an issue. I appreciate the stats. I am far from being racist etc. however, I would not want to move somewhere and accidentally find that I have put my kids into a school where they are the minority. There are schools that have a huge hispanic population, which is fine, however, the schools that have a large hispanic population tend to focus too much on classes such as ESL (English as Second Language) therefore, too many other classes are not focused on enough thereby they score LOW on TAKS etc. I like to know the diversity stats of the schools so I can make a well informed decision of where I send my kids to school. God forbid I make an informed decision of not sending my kids to a school where Black and Mexican gangs tend to dominate. Wouldn't want to watch out for my kids safety or anything.

THANKS n0vemberHAWK...Thank you for your time, consideration and efforts!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,916,130 times
Default Schools/Microsoft

Most school with a large Hispanic population and African American population have lots of fights. Lots of brown vs black type of things. I live in L.A. and its crazy what goes on here.

Microsoft has great thing to say about San Antonio.

Mike Manos, senior director of Microsoft Data Center Services.

I think it's important to note that when we do the site selection process it's on a global basis," Manos said. "San Antonio is competing with cities all over the country and world.

Microsoft looked at 31 variables in narrowing its site selection to San Antonio as its favored location, including the availability of fiber optic networks, affordable energy rates, and work and life balance for employees.

The city ranked very well, Manos said.

"San Antonio has a tremendous amount of good things to offer," Manos said. "It sells itself."

This is from a multibillion dollar cutthroat company!!! I am happy they are coming!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 AM

60 posts, read 202,600 times
Cool let me settle all

Look at Boerne, Tx.
School system tops in the state & nation. Property taxes are higher than SA, but you get what you paid for.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 AM

144 posts, read 618,625 times
Statistics don't lie, Statisticians do. Where did you get all this bogus Stats?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or