Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM

127 posts, read 494,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
i just moved to San Antonio from Chicago. I am still learning San Antonio. Totally different places!!! I really like San Antonio. But what bothers me the most about it so far is that the people here consider downtown a place to work, or a place for tourists.
There is somewhat of an unfair stigma that downtown San Antonio is dangerous or filled with homeless. There was a report on WOAI not too long ago about how human waste was being found downtown on the sidewalks and streets and that only furthers the "dirty" stigma downtown already has.
Human Waste Found on Downtown Streets and Sidewalks | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Somewhat true but not entirely. I find San Antonio downtown 'alright' but there is tons of room for upgrades and a lot of potential. All in all, I do enjoy it.

Quote:
You can't compare the Riverwalk to downtown Chicago because Chicagoans live, work and love downtown -- they take pride in it.
There are a few new developments going up in the Downtown SA area...lofts, midrises, etc. I think once some get a feel of downtown living, more will follow.

Quote:
Oh...and there is no public transportation.
Yea, that is accurate. VIA is in the works of developing a BRT system but I still feel we need light right, ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times
Quote:
i just moved to San Antonio from Chicago. I am still learning San Antonio. Totally different places!!! I really like San Antonio. But what bothers me the most about it so far is that the people here consider downtown a place to work, or a place for tourists. You can't compare the Riverwalk to downtown Chicago because Chicagoans live, work and love downtown -- they take pride in it.

What has bothered me and suprised me the most if the disdain so many people here have for downtown San Antonio and the Riverwalk. They want nothing to do with it and many prefer to spend time in their little suburban looking nook of town. I have been really suprised by this and ended up moving to New Bruanfels, which is close to my job on the NE side of SA while I figure this place out more...and NB at least has a "town" feel and not such a suburban feel as San Antonio.

The food is good, the grocery stores WEIRD. I miss the variety of stores we have in Chicagoland. I spotted a Whole Foods near Alamo Heights I think...but really its all HEB. I kinda hate that part.

I'm still learning but finding it hard to get anyone here to take me to do the touristy stuff locals seem to want nothing to do with!!! Notice, most of downtown SA is hotels.

I needed to get away from Chicago but I figured I was trading a city for a city, I feel more like I traded my Chicago suburb for another one, only here no one likes to go downtown at all!

Oh...and there is no public transportation.

San Antonioans...don't get mad at me... I like it here and see a lot of potential...in fact I just wish you all liked it as much as I do!! If I could get some locals to hang out with me at Riverwalk I'd consider it a success!

Here is a list of downtown populations.

Chicago 42,000 San Antonio 23,000 as of 2000. Since than, San Antonio has seen more housing construction downtown. Then with the River North project, a projection of 25,000 new residents, should change things for the better. I go downtown, to eat, walk, at least once a week and live 20 miles away.
http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/ce...ownrebound.pdf

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
hmmm. I find that suspicous. What consititutes the downtown population of SA vs. Chicago? Because that seems low for Chicago, even if it is strictly the loop. Once you leave downtown SA it becomes suburban quickly....outside of Chicago's loop, neighborhoods are still very urban for miles around, and are connected by the EL.

I would have a hard time believing there are even 23,000 people in downtown SA unless it included places like Alamo Heights.

Either way, it is enouraging that things might be changing. I only have a 6 month lease here in New Bruanfels and hope to get a better feel of where I might fit in San Antonio.

I agree, there were parts of SA downtown that were a little..okay a lot scary outside of Riverwalk, and even at my corporate office (I work at a client site) which is on the Riverwalk, there were bums just hanging out and some nearby abandonned buildings that looked like there were no plans to tear them down.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
I agree, there were parts of SA downtown that were a little..okay a lot scary outside of Riverwalk, and even at my corporate office (I work at a client site) which is on the Riverwalk, there were bums just hanging out and some nearby abandonned buildings that looked like there were no plans to tear them down.
You need to get out more. I live downtown (but don't work downtown, unfortunately). People from outside have this weird misperception about it - they think it's only the Riverwalk. Downtown SA has a lot to offer for residents.

No, it doesn't compare to Chicago - Chicago is a much denser, much bigger city than SA proper. It's not going to be the same, but get outside the Riverwalk. Go to Southtown, check out RiverNorth.

There are indeed some abandoned buildings that #$^%& owners refuse to sell or restore, unfortunately.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 AM

Chaka, I was just agreeing with the above poster that there are some scary parts, but it was actually something that did not really stand out in my opinion. I could see how some San Antonio folks avoid downtown because they might think this.

People like me, however who are from bigger, less suburban cities are less likely to be put off by such things. In fact it was pretty tame, as far as I am concerned.

And I am just annoyed by so many locals saying something about how much riverwalk sucks. Its a pretty cool thing. I dont care if the best restaraunt in town is in a strip mall in some out of the way place. The fact it is a walkable stretch of city makes it tops in my book, its an entertainment center in a city that is so driver centered.

I have yet to understand why people dislike it so much. Are the beers not just as cold on the riverwalk?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
Quote:
I figured I was trading a city for a city
I made the same assumption--the same mistake--when I moved here from a real city. The SA population numbers completely fooled me.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I made the same assumption--the same mistake--when I moved here from a real city. The SA population numbers completely fooled me.
it clicked for me when I saw the "now leaving san antonio city limits" sign for the first time. I realized how large this city is in area.

Luckily, I really did move here mostly for a job. My other choice was the mojave desert. So I did good. I wasn't just uprooting myself for a change of scenery.

Part of the fun of this is I knew so little about San Antonio before, so its an adventure.

But yeah, some of the differences are suprising to me. Another thing that surprises me is that....Texans seem to have a perception of distance that is greater than most people, since Texas is so big....

HOWEVER

It has surprised me how many San Antonian's and Austinites treat these cities as far apart (for instance I have seen people in personals ad's describe this as a long distance relationship if it were to occur)

They are about 70 miles apart!!!!!!!!!!!! perhaps a little more but so few people live downtown its probably more like 60 miles apart depending where you are! (if on the north side of sa) (feel like I have to put all these qualifiers in here for naysayers...)

The chicago metro is farther from north to south. I'm not saying chicago is big and bad and awesome and SA is stupid.....I just have been surprised how close these two cities are but people seem to stick to one or the other. When in reality they are quite close.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 AM

127 posts, read 494,849 times
Quote:

It has surprised me how many San Antonian's and Austinites treat these cities as far apart (for instance I have seen people in personals ad's describe this as a long distance relationship if it were to occur)
What you are referring to is not so much of a distance thing. It is a personality difference and a cultural difference.

San Antonio is conservative, 'lame'---see photo below for example of bumper stickers San Antonio people have--, relaxed, small town vibe.

Austin is liberal, fast paced, college/party town.

Although only a matter of miles apart, there is a world of difference between San Antonio and Austin.

That's why people treat these cities as being so far apart.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 AM

Good Point Spoiled Wife. I wonder if to some younger people, that just translates to habit and in their minds it is a long distance, and that reinforces the culture (thinking of my friend on the nw side who never wants to travel to new braunfels to see me

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Chaka, I was just agreeing with the above poster that there are some scary parts, but it was actually something that did not really stand out in my opinion. I could see how some San Antonio folks avoid downtown because they might think this.

People like me, however who are from bigger, less suburban cities are less likely to be put off by such things. In fact it was pretty tame, as far as I am concerned.

And I am just annoyed by so many locals saying something about how much riverwalk sucks. Its a pretty cool thing. I dont care if the best restaraunt in town is in a strip mall in some out of the way place. The fact it is a walkable stretch of city makes it tops in my book, its an entertainment center in a city that is so driver centered.

I have yet to understand why people dislike it so much. Are the beers not just as cold on the riverwalk?
Well, to be honest, though I love the area, I'm not too impressed by the eating options ON the riverwalk - too many chains. There are some good independent restaurants, but more chains than I'd like, IMO. I wouldn't go out of my way to go to the same restaurant I could go to anywhere else.

It can also be very crowded, and drinks do tend to be more expensive.

But it's a wonderful area to wander. I particularly like the more quiet portion through King William.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio