U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shouldn't we be allowed to vote on new taxes?
Yes 11 78.57%
No 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,344,996 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't we be given the opportunity to vote on additional taxes?

MySA.com: Health | Fitness (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM

790 posts, read 3,623,041 times
From the Express-News article:
Quote:
Despite the scope of the project, the biggest controversy has been whether to put the bond project before voters. County Judge Nelson Wolff and Commissioner Paul Elizondo said they were worried too many controversial items were on the November ballot, including the vote on City Council term limits, to take a risk when a legal alternative was available... <snip>... Rapid inflation in construction costs and a lack of time to lay out a case to voters also were factors.
A family member employed at UHS told me they've been working on this bond issue for over a year, and are only just now saying "there's no time to educate voters". That's code for "we don't think it will pass, so we're just going to risk ramming this one through."

Quote:
“I believe that when you have a major issue, that the voters elect you to make the hard decisions,” Wolff told the San Antonio Express-News Editorial Board on Monday. “If they don't like what you do, they can certainly kick you out of office. I think this is an extremely important decision, and one that I'm certainly willing to support.”
Spoken like a man who knows he will NEVER be voted out of office, no matter what he does. Now his son... that's another matter.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,376,325 times
Hmmmm, Taxation without representation and July 4th. I dunno, something that happened in the past keeps sticking in my head?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,616,934 times
Does anyone know how much tax businesses pay near the hospital? (I could probably look it up, but I'm feeling lazy this morning.)

The reason I ask is that I have seen other areas create a "commercial tax district" to pay for infrastructure (including hospital) improvements. Basically, the local businesses foot most of the bill in the form of use taxes. Yes, costs increase slightly, but for the most part the difference is negligable.

--Dim

Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,780,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Does anyone know how much tax businesses pay near the hospital? (I could probably look it up, but I'm feeling lazy this morning.)

The reason I ask is that I have seen other areas create a "commercial tax district" to pay for infrastructure (including hospital) improvements. Basically, the local businesses foot most of the bill in the form of use taxes. Yes, costs increase slightly, but for the most part the difference is negligable.

--Dim
Are you talking about something like a TIF or TIRZ? Those are generally used to pay for infrastructure like streets and utilities in a redevelopment or new development area. Since UHS is a community-wide asset, the whole community should really pay for it. There are very few non-medical businesses in the immediate area of University Hospital anyway (some fast-food restaurants, a hotel, and a couple of banks.) Not much more (maybe even less) around Brandy Green.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,616,934 times
Yeah, I suppose you're right, HwyMan. I guess what really gets me is that this tax hike won't be suddenly taken away once the hospital construction is completed. The city will simply continue to get the money and allocate it elsewhere. Perhaps that's cynical, but I think the majority of us would agree that it's likely to happen.

--Dim

Old 07-10-2008, 03:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,780,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Yeah, I suppose you're right, HwyMan. I guess what really gets me is that this tax hike won't be suddenly taken away once the hospital construction is completed. The city will simply continue to get the money and allocate it elsewhere. Perhaps that's cynical, but I think the majority of us would agree that it's likely to happen.

--Dim
Well, you're probably right that the tax won't go away once the bonds have been paid-off (which will be a long time from now), but the money doesn't go to the city, it goes to the University Health System (formerly the Bexar County Hospital District), which is a seperate governmental agency chartered by the county. The tax is a seperate line item on your tax bill, so it has to go to UHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio