U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 PM

17 posts, read 56,159 times

Advertisements

I really wish they'd look for Meth labs instead...

Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,639,286 times
I must weigh in on this issue. Until people can prove themselves able to drink without driving, I say let's keep pot illegal. Yes, pot slows you down, but it also impairs the mind in ways similar to alcohol. There are too many "what-ifs" to list, but suffice to say that pot is not something many people can control right now. (My opinion, of course.)

HOWEVER, I'm all for medicinal marijuana to be used by cancer patients. To back that claim, I turn to a lady I heard on NPR today. She was talking about her use of medicinal marijuana in place of hard (and much more addictive) narcotics. She was able to sleep, eat, and have a somewhat livable life due to pot. I agree with this sentiment since my grandmother died from pancreatic cancer 13 years ago.

--Dim

Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,160,376 times
Dim.....you touch on some good points. Change is sometimes welcome, but not always a good thing.

From the devil's advocates perspective, I respectfully disagree with the comments that legalizing mary jane would effect the judicial system. If anything it would probably increase jobs and create a whole new world of marijuana related offenses.

If pot were to be legalized, chances would be very high that it would be regulated. While it might be legal to buy a pack of doobies, it would most likely be from regulated commercially grown fields......from a certain FDA approved plant. It wouldn't be the "primo" stuff from the other side of the border. If "spliff" bars were to pop up as a new industry, you most likely could not BYOJ. You would have to purchase the brand(s) sold there...and they would only be able to serve you the TABC allowed amount (which would have to be renamed the TMABC).....just like they limit bars to how much alcohol is permitted in a single drink. To make it worse, you could be asked to leave if you have "inhaled" too much. In addition, there would definitely be a "legal" age limit.....which would be horribly abused, just as it is with alcohol. It would still not be legal to "grow your own" any more than it's legal to have a grain alcohol still in your basement or back forty. It just wouldn't be that "fun" anymore.....ya know? Che Guevara t-shirts and hacky sacks would disappear public parks and 7-11 parking lots. I'm asking......where would anti establishment mindset go?

The plus side, beside the medicinal benefits, would be a "safer high"......less risks or no risks of it being tampered with or laced with PCP, acid or ground up mushrooms. It might be more affordable. It would be another form a capitalism that would make some of us very rich. (Imagine getting the "dealership" here! )

Hey.....get some greedy capitalists behind you and it just might happen!

(sorry....this was too fun to resist!)

Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM

3,735 posts, read 5,419,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcat3 View Post
If pot were to be legalized, chances would be very high that it would be regulated. While it might be legal to buy a pack of doobies, it would most likely be from regulated commercially grown fields......from a certain FDA approved plant. It wouldn't be the "primo" stuff from the other side of the border. If "spliff" bars were to pop up as a new industry, you most likely could not BYOJ. You would have to purchase the brand(s) sold there...and they would only be able to serve you the TABC allowed amount (which would have to be renamed the TMABC).....just like they limit bars to how much alcohol is permitted in a single drink. To make it worse, you could be asked to leave if you have "inhaled" too much. In addition, there would definitely be a "legal" age limit.....which would be horribly abused, just as it is with alcohol. It would still not be legal to "grow your own" any more than it's legal to have a grain alcohol still in your basement or back forty. It just wouldn't be that "fun" anymore.....ya know? Che Guevara t-shirts and hacky sacks would disappear public parks and 7-11 parking lots. I'm asking......where would anti establishment mindset go?

LOL! Thanks, I needed that.

While we're at it, can we make prostitution legal? Require STD testing, regular check-ups, tax the income...bonus all around.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
LOL! Thanks, I needed that.

While we're at it, can we make prostitution legal? Require STD testing, regular check-ups, tax the income...bonus all around.
How about sales tax? WOW~ We could build that new University Hospital with those revenues and not even raise taxes!!! Super idea!

Hmmm....what regulating body would control that industry? I suppose it would be the Federal Trade Commission?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 5 days ago)

13,650 posts, read 22,039,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcat3 View Post
How about sales tax? WOW~ We could build that new University Hospital with those revenues and not even raise taxes!!! Super idea!

Hmmm....what regulating body would control that industry? I suppose it would be the Federal Trade Commission?
Well, for state taxes, it would be STONED. State Taxation of Nasty, Evil Drugs.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 AM

LOL sapphire!

--Dim

Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
well, for state taxes, it would be stoned. State taxation of nasty, evil drugs.
rofl!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM

164 posts, read 386,791 times
Here's an interesting thing to consider:

other than "magic mushrooms," Marijuana is the only substance that does not need to be synthesized by man before consumption. Alcohol must be distilled - cocaine must be sythesized, Heroine - the same and so on...

Marijuana is the most natural of all mind-altering substances that humans consume.

It is a plant, people smoke it's leaves and flowers. The fact that alcohol is legal and it is not makes no logical sense.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM

MTC,

I must respectfully disagree with your statements. First of all, there are other illegal drugs that are natural and require no "treatment" before consumption. For example, khat is a "flowering evergreen shrub native to East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula" that is "is sold and abused is usually just the leaves, twigs, and shoots of the Khat shrub." It's used like tobacco or marijuana (smoked or chewed). Source: DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, Drug Descriptions, Khat (http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/concern/khat.html - broken link)

You're also forgetting about hashish, opium (extracted from poppy plants; also not talking about alkaloid extracts), and peyote.

The logic that it's natural so why regulate doesn't hold much water, IMHO. The drugs I listed are quite powerful. While I won't dispute that alcohol is in some ways every bit as powerful as an opiate, for whatever reason the social stigmas towards it aren't the same as they are in regards to marijuana.

Just another viewpoint....

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio