U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by she731 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I are relocating to SA. Would love some suggestions on some nice areas near Randolph to live (30 mins from base max)? We would love to find a new community with walking trails, pool, rec center. New homes with somewhat wooded lots. Do the neighborhoods typically have those amenities? Any suggestions?Thanks!
My huband and I are relocating to SA in Jul this year and are also house hunting. I've been there for months at a time thanks to the military and have a few suggestions regarding housing. If you can afford to do so, I'd go out and drive the areas, but do some searching online first. I normally surf mysa.com the real estate section, and look in the Northeast or Northcentral areas. I'll be at Fort Sam Houston, and those are the closest with the shortest drive time. Commuting in SA is not always easy. I'd stay away from anything south of downtown, and also NW to WNW. Looks are deceiving so flying out for a long weekend is advisable. I've already found 10 or so houses I'd probably consider buying if they're in a good neighborhood and access to work is convenient. Let me know if you have any good real estate websites to surf with photos. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 06:32 AM

7 posts, read 27,920 times
All: Randolph schools look great. DODDS-Europe must be great from what I hear. DODDS Pacific? Our school has been very inconsistent. Japan is an expensive place to live and a tough adjustment for some. This year alone three out of four 4th grade teachers were new hires. Two of them never got here until October. Half of our playground has been closed since the school year began due to termites. Our Field trips? They get cancelled. Paper? We have little/none. One of the janitorial staff: not working because of contract issues. This school or the district operating it has a budget running on empty. Pitiful. We need this next school to be a huge improvement over what they've been experiencing. We've had some really good teachers, though. So, that off my chest, I emailed Randolph asking where we need to live to be eligible for attending their school. (It is not on-base, is it?) I assume that would mean living in base-housing on Randolph and parts of Universal City? I really want to stay out of the overcrowded schools. Not for us. Thanks to you ALL for your help. Without your input I'd be really in the dark! Thanks again!

Last edited by Yokowesto; 01-23-2007 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: text error

Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,700,841 times
Yokowesto.....I have a huge fondness for Randolph. We came from Paris when my dad was tranferred to Randolph. It is by far one of the most beautiful Air Forces Bases in the country. The architecture and Taj Mahal are highly acclaimed.

We lived on base and I attended elementary and Junior High on base. I went into public school starting in the 9th. I actually went to school with the current principal at Randolph. Super nice man! You will never have a problem with over crowding on base because they only allow "off base" student to attend to meet capacity.

Overcrowding in other schools changes all the time. The areas that have less new developement will have less problems with overcrowding unless they change the school boundaries. Talk about another nightmare.....changing school boundaries almost takes an act of congress!!

You will LOVE being associated with Randolph.....awesome base and very nostalgic for me to visit.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the positive notes. I have only heard great things about Randolph & San Antonio. Texas, in general, gets high marks from absolutely EVERYONE I have ever talked to who has either lived or regularly visited there. Same goes with Austin. All here, at Yokota, who hail from Texas highly recommended any of the northern school districts. These people actually taught in the schools there and said I couldn't go wrong with any they knew of. But Randolph seems to fill a need we have: less crowding, a more transient student body (which my kids are already used to) & VERY HIGH REVIEWS. Thank you!!!! We eagerly await this PCS. I wasn't eager to move to Japan; now we aren't eager to leave, but Randolph & San Antonio, Texas sure are great lures!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,337,386 times
Yokowesto,

Randolph AFB is nice. As for shopping on base, go look at Ft Sam Houston for a bigger PX (BX) and commissary with more to offer.

BTW, I was stationed at Yokota AB 1982-1986 and enjoyed it. I even climbed (hiked would be a better word) Mt. Fuji that has a beautiful view from the top. San Antonio is DEFINITELY less crowded than Tokyo!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Randolph in May!

Thank you Steel Man, Millie61 and wCat. In your opinion(s), and with regards to Randolph schools: Which is the better housing option? Somewhere close to the schools in Universal City? The 78232 area code (high on our list)? RAFB Base housing? There are restrictions on Randolph's enrollments, I understand, so unless we live on base we cannot be guaranteed placement. Someone also previously mentioned DODEA/Europe. Are they still as good as they once were (for future reference)? Thanks, again, for taking the time to help.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,182,365 times
Good luck with your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio