Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 AM

45 posts, read 175,054 times

Advertisements

okay I have found some townhomes on the eastside area code 78219 they are called summercity townhomes..I have heard that the east side is bad and that the majority is african american or black.....Im just wondering if anyone knows or has been around this area code or particular townhomes????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
As every area, there is good and bad. The eastside has some very nice areas with beautiful old and new houses. I don't know where exactly those houses are located. I would drive around and see what it looks like around the immediate area.
Eastside is very convenient to downtown and has not grown to the degree that north and south has grown. It's more stable.
Maybe someone with more knowledge would tell you.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
african american or black - now which is it ?? make your mind up ?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Could be african american, as in some of the Egyptians I know. They look middle eastern.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 PM

222 posts, read 706,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Could be african american, as in some of the Egyptians I know. They look middle eastern.
People always think I'm middle eastern (in the summer)
So I guess I could also say that I've been mistaken for african american??
Kinda neat. . .

I'd equate the East Side (the portion that I've experienced) with a vast majority of areas on the Southside in that you have a heavy concentration of one ethnicity in particular and there are good and bad areas. I use the southside as a comparison because the homes I see there and some of the streets I see remind me of the way it looks on the southside. A lot is old and dilapidated with some renovations here and there but you can tell that many of those homes USED to have a lot of charm.

I drove through there a lot back in 94 and 95 because I was not having a hard time focusing in college and decided to take a break from "expensive college" (haha) and attend community college in an effort to not waste money. I chose St. Phillips because a ton of my friends were still at SACC and that meant big trouble for me. I think it was the first "adult" decision I had ever made on my own! I spent two semesters there and had one of the best professors I've ever had! I'm only over there once in a while now but it doesn't look like a lot has changed since then. I'm no expert though.

As with most places there are areas you want to "avoid" too but I couldn't tell you what areas specifically.

Have you done a search on crimebase (http://crimebase.mysanantonio.com/index.cfm - broken link) using the zip code? That should with some information on the types of crime in the area.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM

45 posts, read 175,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post

my bad i guess i shouldn't have spoken on ethnicity its just what i always hear
when i mention eastside

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 PM

27 posts, read 77,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar2 View Post
I have heard that the east side is bad and that the majority is african american or black.....

So what are you getting at here?!?!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Yeah, which is it?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 AM

72 posts, read 230,921 times
Default Race In America

Maybe soulstar2 is not the best person to answer this question. We're living in a transition period where "Black" is becoming not PC. So I put it to you black or african-american San Antonio, what would you like to be called?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
By his name might be a good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio