U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 02:19 PM

35 posts, read 142,203 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving into my new home in +- 6 weeks and am looking for a mover who will treat my stuff as well (or better) than I do. Price is a secondary consideration. Its only about 5 miles.

Mover must do packing too.
Does anyone have any good experiences they can share?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,394,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabex View Post
I am going to be moving into my new home in +- 6 weeks and am looking for a mover who will treat my stuff as well (or better) than I do. Price is a secondary consideration. Its only about 5 miles.

Thanks
We did a short distance move (aprox 11 miles) and used PACKRAT...it was WONDERFUL!

You get the container for up to 30 days total...we had stuff packed up about 50 %, ordered the pod to be delivered (we used 2 pods) and just put the stuff in there...ordered the pickup and move and then we could take all the time we wanted to unpack it. We had the pods a total of 1 week, again, had much of the stuff ready to place in the unit to be hauled before we had it delivered, but man, it was great to be able to say I am not in a hurry to get it all into the house and you could set up as you go. I HIGHLY recommend them...but it is a do it yourself pack/unpack type of movers.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 AM

394 posts, read 1,378,465 times
We used Allied (the agent was Berger) to move us to SA from KY - put our stuff in storage then used the same company/agent to move us from storage to our new house. Allied did the packing. This was our first experience with using the company to do the packing. Pros and cons. Pro - you don't have to worry about it and they pack it REALLY tight. Con - they kill a billion trees with the excessive packing paper they use and they pack EVERYTHING - including trash! i.e. they probably used 5 sheets of packing paper to pack.....a lightbulb! LOL

Anyway, they did a good job.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 PM

55 posts, read 140,756 times
If you do NOTHING else.........PLEASE, please please go to movingscam.com. Unfortunately I only discovered this site after I was the victim of a really classic moving scam. This site has a "blacklist" that is a great resource, and yup, my "moving company" was listed.

You will likely have an easy time finding a great, reputable mover since your move is local--mine was interstate--which made me a lot more vulnerable. But please go to movingscam.com. They have TONS of resources there on how to find a reputable mover and there are threads recommending the "good guys".

I promise I'm not the owner of the site or anything. Just a victim who loaded her stuff onto a truck on Thursday and has absolutely no idea where it is and if it will ever arrive. I accept responsibility for my ignorance but I can't emphasize enough: even for a local move, a half hour of research is SOOOO worth it!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabex View Post

Thanks

Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 AM

35 posts, read 142,203 times
Thanks everyone for the good feedback, any other suggestions out there?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:31 AM

265 posts, read 1,088,548 times
USAA moved us using New World Van Lines and they were great

Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,721,750 times
I want to use LeavingCT's moving company! Maybe I can load some of this stuff that my wife has accumulated and see it ride off into the sunset....and not have to see it again!

Sorry LeavingCT...not meaning to offend you..

Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM

55 posts, read 140,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I want to use LeavingCT's moving company! Maybe I can load some of this stuff that my wife has accumulated and see it ride off into the sunset....and not have to see it again!

LOL!! None taken.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM

285 posts, read 610,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post

LOL! During our Navy moves, I would beg the moving company to lose certain (husband's) possessions but they always managed to take great care of those things and lose or break the ones that were important to me.

Lori

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM

125 posts, read 430,743 times
I have used Adams Movers a few times. Twice for business and once personally. Its a small family owned business which I prefer because they work harder to keep the customer. Nothing was damaged in any of the moves. They did the boxing for the business moves but I packed my things when I moved to keep the cost down. They are also the most economical i could find, but their service does NOT reflect that. They took care of my things great. Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or