U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM

99 posts, read 281,536 times
Default Has anyone been to the Social Security Office Lately?

I need to take my mom in to complete her social security retirement application.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been there recently and can tell me if the wait is really long?

I've got a 4 year old I need to take with us and I need to plan accordingly. I'm not looking forward to going but we don't have a choice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 PM

791 posts, read 2,078,463 times
I have not been recently, but in my experience, if you can be there about 10-15 minutes before they open, the wait should not be bad.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:59 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,117,460 times
Can you do it online or over the phone??

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,117,460 times
I found this, maybe it would be easier.
Retirement & Medicare - Qualify and Apply

Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM

51 posts, read 114,810 times
I work down the street for the office on Alamo Downs. When I come work @ 8:30am there is always a long line to get in to the SS office

Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that we already applied but because she;s not a citizen, we have no choice but to bring her doc in person.

So I guess getting there early is the best bet.

Ugghhh! I'm not looking forward to a day at the SS office with my mom AND 4 year old!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 4,538,279 times
I went there (The Alamo Downs location) with my mother about six months back and we walked in and out in about 15 minutes.. with mission completed.. but this was around 2ish...

Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM

317 posts, read 1,207,711 times
You could call and make an appointment to bring her in. My husband is seriously disabled and it can be very difficult to transport him places. We made an appointment for him for some of his Soc. Sec. issues, and it was quick and easy. We had to wait several weeks for the appointment, but no time there at the office. Otherwise, try to go early in the morning or afternoon- but avoid the busier times- beginning, end of the month, Mondays, Fridays, and lunchtime, where they lose a person or two for their lunch breaks. The AlamoDowns office does have a pretty big line in the mornings.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
You could call and make an appointment to bring her in. My husband is seriously disabled and it can be very difficult to transport him places. We made an appointment for him for some of his Soc. Sec. issues, and it was quick and easy. We had to wait several weeks for the appointment, but no time there at the office. Otherwise, try to go early in the morning or afternoon- but avoid the busier times- beginning, end of the month, Mondays, Fridays, and lunchtime, where they lose a person or two for their lunch breaks. The AlamoDowns office does have a pretty big line in the mornings.
Great idea but they don't make appts for just presenting documents

I just hate standing and waiting!!! Oh well, I guess that's the way it is.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM

33 posts, read 107,077 times
Default take the 30 min trip to seguin

We needed to replace a lost ss card, my wife took my kids with her downtown and was disgusted with the place and after feeling like she waited long enough with out any advancement, she left minus the new card.

Since I travel to Seguin often enough I decided to visit and boy was it worth it, I was in and out within minutes aside from the fact that the office was a new construction with a very nice and comfortable waiting area.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio