U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,528 times

Advertisements

[quote=JessieRae;14329]my husband and I found an area outside of SA that we keep looking at that might not be too bad to raise our family. The place is Elmendorf. Anyone familiar with it
I'm familiar I lived there around 8 years there about 12 to 14 sex offenders 1 meth lab no police station no fire sub station all emergency comes from san antonio it is now sandy oaks there is alot of crime there. Hoa well new rules such as parking on the side of the road is a fine. There is a clothing option resort about 15 minutes away. A convenient store 1 bar across the bridge. If you're talking about waterwood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,528 times
There's over 17 sex offenders it is now city of sandy oaks. There's a meth lab there's no soil all sand and stickers

Old 03-29-2016, 01:22 PM

265 posts, read 411,699 times
My family is from Elmendorf. Elmendorf proper is along Old Corpus Christi Hwy from south of Braunig Lake to south of Loop 1604. It is a nice, quiet rural community that has enjoyed slow growth despite the influence of a new multi million dollar railway park on its periphery. The Waterwood subdivision is off of IH 37 and Mathis Road. It is now the City of Sandy Oaks. Waterwood itself was NEVER in the city of Elmendorf and actually miles and miles away. The Waterwood subdivison is served by the Elmendorf post office. That being said, Waterwood/Sandy Oaks is a dump. The efforts to incorporate have been a farce and are a shining example of governmental dysfunction, just as bad as Von Ormy. It is a glorified mobile home community with a few people who made the mistake of building permanent, non- axeled homes there. When Victoria Courts shut down, SAHA and others relocated a lot of their problem people to Waterwood, which is also outside of the city of San Antonio. What came were city problems. Gangs, graffiti, meth labs, blight. A portion of the overflow from Katrina that didn't settle in the Glen/Camelot II also gravitated here. I lived in Waterwood from 1999-2007 and am glad I got out when I did. Elmendorf is nothing like Waterwood, and hope it never will be. It is a disservice for Elmendorf to be associated with Waterwood/Sandy Oaks.

As far as public safety, Elmendorf has it's own modern City Hall, police department/station who is assisted by the Bexar County Sheriff's office. The deputies respond from a substation about 8 miles away off of Southton Road between 410 and IH 37. The fire department is Harmony VFD, whose responses and manpower are severely lacking and leaves much to be desired. EMS is provided by Acadian, which is the EMS provider for inincorporated Bexar County and both the city of Elmendorf and Waterwood/Sandy Oaks.

Waterwood/Sandy Oaks has a 1 man town marshal that is a joke. Law enforcement is provided by the Bexar County Sheriff's office. They keep quite busy in Waterwood/Sandy Oaks. There is no police station, and no city hall. Their council meets at a RV park center off of IH 37 and southton road, nearly 10 miles away. The fire protection is provided by ESD#6, who contracts with ESD#2 to provide fire protection/EMS first responder. This is the ONLY advantage Waterwood/Sandy Oaks has over Elmendorf. The fire department is paid 24/7 with certified personnel and modern equipment. The problem is is that their station is 6 miles away and it provides services not just to Waterwood/Sandy Oaks, but to all unincorporated areas EAST of Applewhite road all the way to, but not including the city of Elmendorf. The fire department is vastly superior, but have a lot of area to be responsible for and quite often, they are on calls outside of Waterwood/Sandy Oaks and the resources are stretched thin.

Last edited by John911; 03-29-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 PM

4,144 posts, read 4,114,786 times
Although I am only in the area a few weeks out of the year, I grew up in and still own land in this part of the County. I am very familiar with most areas along South 1604 from Von Ormy (IH 35), to Somerset, to Hwy 16 hoods, Oak Island, Applewhite Estates, Thelma, Spanish Grant, all the way to Elmendorf (Hwy 181). Some areas are very nice and and others are dumps/rural ghettos.

I would say the above poster is very accurate as Waterwood/Sandy Oaks with its bad reputation is close to but far enough from Elemendorf. I remember Waterwood used to advertise quite a bit on the radio in the 90's. I do believe both feed into the Southside ISD.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:46 PM

265 posts, read 411,699 times
Malco, thanks for bringing that up..... Waterwood/Sandy Oaks is in the Southside School district, which has been in a constant state of controversy with school board that is dysfunctional. Elmendorf is in the East Central School district, and I would contend is trouble free and vastly superior to Southside ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio