Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM

178 posts, read 788,145 times

Advertisements

Ha! I thought you were posting that overpriced mens barbershop Roosters.

You can go to any city in the US and someone will have chickens/roosters and other interesting animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 PM

222 posts, read 706,415 times
I think that would fall under "chickens" and or "livestock" and I DID see something about that in the code compliance list of fines associated with their respective violations.

OK, here it is, I just found it. It's a PDF file, just FYI.

San Antonio Fine Schedule

It references "keeping livestock without a permit" and apparently there are SEVERAL different ways to "keep poultry" - depending on whether or not your "poultry" resides in a pen and how many feet away said "pen" is from a residence, your fine will vary.

That is FUNNY. . not your situation but this list!

There's also a BOVINE fine and "Keeping of Rabbits"!

The wording has me over here cracking up all by myself. My husband is probably downstairs wondering if I've gone nuts!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Ohhh your rooster situation is also in violation of
Article III Sec. 21-52. Noise nuisance enumeration.

(a) The following acts, among others not hereinafter enumerated, are declared to be "noise nuisances," and are unlawful and in violation of the provisions of this division when such acts are done or accomplished or carried on in such a manner, or with such volume, intensity, or with continued duration, so as to annoy, to distress, or to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of any person of reasonable nervous sensibilities within the vicinity or hearing thereof, or so as to endanger or injure the safety or health of humans or animals, or so as to interfere with the physical well being of humans or animals, or so as to endanger or injure personal or real property:
(1) The playing or permitting or causing the playing of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, juke box, nickelodeon, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound.
(2) Any loud or vociferous language or any soliciting for, or description of, any amusement house, moving picture theater, or other like place of amusement, or for the performance therein, in the entrance thereto, the foyer or lobby thereof, or on the sidewalks adjoining the same.
(3) The keeping of any animal, fowl, or bird, which makes frequent or long, continued noise.

I didn't want to post the whole thing here. . it's LONG. The key I suppose is getting this recorded and THEN actually getting an officer out there who will act on it. I know it's possible after tonight, though!

The rest of the Article III which is the Division on "General Noise" can be found here:

NPC Law Library: San Antonio TX Noise Ordinance

You have to scroll down a bit. . I believe the initial part of this page refers to airports only.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigginHouseVibez View Post
Ohhh your rooster situation is also in violation of
Article III Sec. 21-52. Noise nuisance enumeration.

(a) The following acts, among others not hereinafter enumerated, are declared to be "noise nuisances," and are unlawful and in violation of the provisions of this division when such acts are done or accomplished or carried on in such a manner, or with such volume, intensity, or with continued duration, so as to annoy, to distress, or to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of any person of reasonable nervous sensibilities within the vicinity or hearing thereof, or so as to endanger or injure the safety or health of humans or animals, or so as to interfere with the physical well being of humans or animals, or so as to endanger or injure personal or real property:
(1) The playing or permitting or causing the playing of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, juke box, nickelodeon, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound.
(2) Any loud or vociferous language or any soliciting for, or description of, any amusement house, moving picture theater, or other like place of amusement, or for the performance therein, in the entrance thereto, the foyer or lobby thereof, or on the sidewalks adjoining the same.
(3) The keeping of any animal, fowl, or bird, which makes frequent or long, continued noise.

I didn't want to post the whole thing here. . it's LONG. The key I suppose is getting this recorded and THEN actually getting an officer out there who will act on it. I know it's possible after tonight, though!

The rest of the Article III which is the Division on "General Noise" can be found here:

NPC Law Library: San Antonio TX Noise Ordinance

You have to scroll down a bit. . I believe the initial part of this page refers to airports only.

It's really funny you posted that, because I was just LOOKING for it for another reason entirely... I just called the police anonymously on a neighbor with the thumping bass AND nasty nasty lyrics being played super loud. The thumping bass could be heard in the house, the lyrics if I opened the door. And the kids outside playing this music? About 17, 15, and 11!

Anyways, thanks... I can probably record the rooster sound, it's finding him that will be tricky.

Jules, from what I've read, if they're properly contained, you CAN have chickens. My mom had those gorgeous fluffy kind... can't remember the name. She's not in the city limits though but yes, apparently you can do it.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,960 times
We called code compliance once for chickens/roosters that were being kept in a yard behind SO's mom's house. We were told that they were allowed to keep six chickens and one rooster. The neighbor had considerably more than that and the smell coming from his yard was unbearable. He apparently got rid of most of them. I honestly don't know why someone in an urban area would be allowed to keep livestock. Somehow I can't see this being tolerated in say, oh, i dunno...Alamo Heights?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
We called code compliance once for chickens/roosters that were being kept in a yard behind SO's mom's house. We were told that they were allowed to keep six chickens and one rooster. The neighbor had considerably more than that and the smell coming from his yard was unbearable. He apparently got rid of most of them. I honestly don't know why someone in an urban area would be allowed to keep livestock. Somehow I can't see this being tolerated in say, oh, i dunno...Alamo Heights?
Of course not! AH is the "City of Beauty and Charm"!

I still don't mind a few chickens... but why the rooster? Can't they use a stud service or something to suit that purpose... send their chicken off for a romantic weekend with a rooster that lives out in the middle of nowhere?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Of course not! AH is the "City of Beauty and Charm"!

I still don't mind a few chickens... but why the rooster? Can't they use a stud service or something to suit that purpose... send their chicken off for a romantic weekend with a rooster that lives out in the middle of nowhere?
Apparently to fertilize the chickens and make more chickens!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
We have one in our neighborhood too. Drives my husband crazy but I don't mind it. I grew up with roosters next door (in suburban L.A.) and so it's normal to me. I keep begging to get some hens but he refuses.

Anyway, we pretty much assume any roosters around here are fighting roosters...illegal or not.

Good luck catching it. I still haven't figured out where our rooster lives. I think there's more than one.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I honestly don't know why someone in an urban area would be allowed to keep livestock. Somehow I can't see this being tolerated in say, oh, i dunno...Alamo Heights?
Haven't you seen George Lopez? You grab a brick, go find your chicken and there's dinner!!

(GAG!!!!)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
And it's quite tasty!!!
MEAT IS MURDER!
Tasty, tasty murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio