U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,165,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Oh....Hi everybody! I'm so sorry about the confusion. I should have deleted that link instead of making a note that it wasn't working for me. When I posted it, I saw that it still had that cemetery, and I thought I could fix it in my time limit. Obviously that didn't happen.

I was looking for the cemetery on S. Presa that was mentioned in the Geneaology/Cemetery thread.....and I came across a very large "birds eye" view of what looked like the Hot Wells Resort. Whatever this place is, the remains are very impressive! I'm not sure how to find it on the birds eye viewer and post it. I didn't have any problem with posting that cemetery.

Anyway.....if anyone wants to give it a try....follow S. Presa going North from 410 .....it's quite a way up....and will be on the East side of S. Presa.

I'll give it another try and see if I can get better directions....ie cross streets etc.

Sorry again for blinkin out on you all!
Again, Hot Wells is located here!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:58 PM

4,791 posts, read 9,586,633 times
Thanks M2.....I totally missed your link above!!! I'm deleting more confusion since you solved the question. The birds eye view is even better....closer in and at a better angle. AWESOME building!!! It will be fantastic when it's restored.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 PM

96,836 posts, read 23,260,967 times
What I referred to as the "Flame Room" was most likely the office for the motel. Doubt it was called flame room back then ,but what an appropiate name. Since that was the only recognizable bdlg left before the lightning got it a few tears back!

Last edited by SATX56; 07-18-2008 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: error

Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Hope this works. Another angle in 3D birds eye. M2 thanks for the instructions!

well....crumb. It didn't work!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM

I think I have my bearings now.....and going back to the link with all the history now makes sense! The picture from the birds eye view is of the Bath House....the only remaining part of the resort. The adjacent hotal was the four story structure and nothing appears to be remaining of that portion of the complex. (too bad!!) In the ariel photograph, there appear to be some small cottages in the wooded area to the South of the Bath House.....they may be some of the later added cottages that belonged to the Resort after one or two of the three fires.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 PM

3,115 posts, read 5,839,766 times
wCat: The two photos I submitted were the Bathhouse. All that remained in the 80's. The Bathhouse could have been restored and that was Mr. Scheers intention before the last fire destroyed it as well. A few post back you suggested going north on S. Presa. The Hot Wells complex would be on the west side of S. Presa, not on the east side as suggested. It is about one block south of Hot Wells Blvd.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,165,299 times
wCat

Here ya go...the bird's eye views...

Facing North

Facing East

Facing South

Facing West

Cheers! M2

Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
wCat: The two photos I submitted were the Bathhouse. All that remained in the 80's. The Bathhouse could have been restored and that was Mr. Scheers intention before the last fire destroyed it as well. A few post back you suggested going north on S. Presa. The Hot Wells complex would be on the west side of S. Presa, not on the east side as suggested. It is about one block south of Hot Wells Blvd.
GY....you are absolutely right about it being on the WEST of Presa. I disoriented myself when I was playing around with the "angles". I'm really good with directions......seriously! I always know where I'm going, just couldn't tell anyone else how to get there from the map in my mind!

M2......thanks for the added pics!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Update

#1 son and I drove out yesterday to find HWH. We got right up to the gate (not locked) by the RR tracks and were greeted by a very loudly agitated dog! Not sure what it was....rottie mix of something. The trees almost blocked the view, but he did get one unimpressive picture. You'd never know what it was from the street. I'll get it posted as soon as he reduces the size of the pic file.

We drove to the other side, but didn't stop as there was a very large family birthday gathering on the park side. The pictures from that side would be MUCH better....but not worth the drive/gas to go back. I'm so disappointed.

Oh well....I think I know everything I WANT to know about the HWH.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,626 times
Can anyone tell me exactly why Hot Wells Hotel is considered haunted? I've tried doing research as to deaths that occurred there but can't find any? what's up with room 13? Did someone actually die there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio