Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 56,647 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to San Antonio in late october. I have started looking and home to purchase, I just don't know which areas are good to live in and which aren't. Some community's can be nice but as soon as you travel outside of them it is crap. I was looking at Winnbrook estates is that a good area. Or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Distraught Home buyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 PM

791 posts, read 3,950,052 times
Start with these tips:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ml#post4486462

Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,415,663 times
Winnbrook estates is in Windcrest, which is it's own incorporated city. It's a fine area and the homes in that subdivsion are comparable to ones in Stone Oak. The area around Winnbrook is on the way up, one of San Antonio's largest hi-tech firms is moving there HQ about 2 miles away, which should make the area highly desirable.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

10 posts, read 20,233 times
Windcrest is a well established area, but I would like to take note on your comment "Some community's can be nice but as soon as you travel outside of them it is crap".

Windcrest has always maintain a higher standard of living, however if you travel down Walzem road you will see a difference / change in the area. I do not want to scare you, it can be a nice area, but there was a time that the Windsor Park Mall was very active and doing well business wise.

Then there were issues with gang activity in the mall, a drive by shooting that killed an elderly person at a bus stop, and other negative activity that soon cause the mall to loose customers, then tenants (stores) and then finally close down for good.

The city of Windcrest was able to purchase more land from the city of San Antonio, increase it's size and jurisdiction, and finally attract new business to the community. The mall will soon be home to the hi-tech firms that smuboy86 mentioned.

[mod]..[mod]

Best Wishes!

Last edited by Keeper; 07-18-2008 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: no soliciting

Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,580 times
Default Be aware of the Tax Structure

Taxes in San Antonio are very high. Be sure to inquire what they will be to include them in your house payment
Housing is inexpensive, but when you add in the high taxes it takes your mortgage way up

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM

I was told that it is a little scary when you travel outside of the community???
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Winnbrook estates is in Windcrest, which is it's own incorporated city. It's a fine area and the homes in that subdivsion are comparable to ones in Stone Oak. The area around Winnbrook is on the way up, one of San Antonio's largest hi-tech firms is moving there HQ about 2 miles away, which should make the area highly desirable.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 AM

So as of right now it is a little on the crummy side but should get better???
Quote:
Originally Posted by satomtom3 View Post
Windcrest is a well established area, but I would like to take note on your comment "Some community's can be nice but as soon as you travel outside of them it is crap".

Windcrest has always maintain a higher standard of living, however if you travel down Walzem road you will see a difference / change in the area. I do not want to scare you, it can be a nice area, but there was a time that the Windsor Park Mall was very active and doing well business wise.

Then there were issues with gang activity in the mall, a drive by shooting that killed an elderly person at a bus stop, and other negative activity that soon cause the mall to loose customers, then tenants (stores) and then finally close down for good.

The city of Windcrest was able to purchase more land from the city of San Antonio, increase it's size and jurisdiction, and finally attract new business to the community. The mall will soon be home to the hi-tech firms that smuboy86 mentioned.

[mod]..[mod]

Best Wishes!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM

This is one of the things I was worried about. I was doing a little research on this but am finding it difficult to find the tax rates for all the areas. Do you know of a website or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkgmk View Post
Taxes in San Antonio are very high. Be sure to inquire what they will be to include them in your house payment
Housing is inexpensive, but when you add in the high taxes it takes your mortgage way up

Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,914,051 times
Try bcad.org--do a property search and find one that is comparable to the houses you are looking at and you will see what their tax liability is.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks bunches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio