Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM

122 posts, read 512,017 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are discount places to get a subscription to the Express News? I received an offer in the mail weeks ago, but threw it out. I don't want to subscribe at regular price just to find a discount in a week or two.

Also, someone told me that the home delivery newspapers come with more coupons than store bought newspapers, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM

199 posts, read 706,295 times
If you are a new subscriber, you can get a better deal. You could probably just call and ask what their best deal is for a new subscription. If you are a regular subscriber like me, it is next to impossible to get a deal. Right now I'm paying $47.xx per 11 weeks for daily delivery. HTH!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM

196 posts, read 775,091 times
They set up stands at HEB. But you terminate, they keep calling you because you are on their database. I get 2 calls a week from them. I was so fedup that I told them to cancel my name off their database.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,828,375 times
Just sign up for Sat/Sun delivery and before the conversation is over you'll have Wed-Sun for that weekend price.
I had finally gotten them to stop all delivery when the cutest kid knocked on my door selling subscriptions. We chatted, I ordered the weekend paper for three months and sure enough, the following Wednesday I had a newspaper in my driveway. I went back to look at the receipt and there it was - the "bonus" of three extra days of delivery. I think I wrote a check for $20 for that three months of newspaper.
Seems like the Sunday paper that gets delivered and hte one I pick up at HEB have the same coupons...

The real trick is getting them to STOP delivery!!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:24 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,016,095 times
Default stopping SA Express?

I wrote a thread this spring about my troubles in trying to stop unwanted delivery - to include weekends. It took me three weeks and didn't end until I sent a certified letter.

I don't know if your thread jinxed me but started on Saturday, I'm back to getting 'free' delivery. Seems like we've been down this road. I never subscribed so I don't know how I got on 'their list'. I travel and don't want piles of newspapers on the driveway and I certainly don't want to pay for those issues.

Helpful Hint >> Those 'salesmen' at busy intersections who sell on Sundays can probably tell you the BEST discounted price that there is available - after you buy their paper.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM

111 posts, read 713,708 times
I got a call the day I got my phone at my new house. 8.45 per month for 7 days of the paper.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 AM

126 posts, read 477,386 times
If you buy a paper on the weekends, in a store or at intersections, it will contain a postcard advertising their delivery specials. You can just fill it out and send it in.

We just recently switched from delivery to picking up a Sunday paper on the way home from church. The Sunday paper that was delivered had several more ads and coupons than the ones you get on the street. The ads that are almost always missing are CVS, Best Buy, Circuit City, and this week there was not even a Star!

Go for delivery hands down.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,617,988 times
They have been sending kids out to beg people to take a subscription for years. You can tell them no until your blue in the face. They will not take no! no! no! for an answer. They resort to begging and pleading with you it's digusting !! You finally have to just flat run them off. You can't tell me they're not put up to this. The newspaper business here knows no shame.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,270,226 times
They ought to give an option to just have the COUPONS delivered! For way cheaper.

I will NOT have the paper delivered ever again. I'm a lazy housekeeper and it always gets put off to get it into the recycle bin, and in the meantime is spread all over the house. Ugh.

I can't stand how they let them hawk the paper at HEB, either, right there by the entrance. They are soooo aggressive, and I'm there to spend MY money at HEB on things I need. It's an insult to the customers of HEB, in my opinion, to have to fight off sales pitches to get to the groceries. Annoying!

I read it online at the MySa website. Much better for me. I don't coupon-clip though.

Here's a fun one: ever try and get that "freebie" paper that comes in Spanish stopped? Have fun with that! The darn thing is free, but I can't read Spanish, so I don't want it.. but last time I had to call 5 times to get it stopped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio