Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,643 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am about to separate from the military after almost 12 years. As excited as I am, and with my new zest for starting over, I decided I want to move somewhere I've never lived, however, to a place I have heard wonderful things about. So, I decided on SA. The only thing keeping me from pointing my car West, is the whole "job" thing. I have a Masters Degree in HR Management, but feel my strongest attributes are working in some type of training environment and/or public relations. Can anyone help suggest something to me? Healthcare agencies, USAA, etc. It's a bit weird making this transition after 12 years of extreme structure. Any help or suggestions would be greatly (and humbly) appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,828 times
many hospitals in the area are looking for hr "people". also many call center for health care are looking for hr "people" like life master UHC humana

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 32,721 times
I do NOT reccomend moving to S.A. I made that mistake 4 months ago, and am counting the days till I move again!!! Its TRASHY, overcrowded, and simply AWFUL!! Oh, and all jobs are WAY underpaid due to the amount of illegals (this town is 90% illegals) who will work for cheap. DONT MOVE HERE!!!! Honestly!!! I love Texas. Ive lived in Dallas most of my life, except for college. Austin and Dallas are fantastic cities with much opportunity!!! Especially in your line of work. I would choose Dallas! It has everything, without the ghetto feel that San Antonio has!! Best of luck to you!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM

154 posts, read 630,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
(this town is 90% illegals)
Okay, I literally spewed my coffee reading that, I laughed so hard.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I did a double take at that one too! How funny.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
C.J. has got the tone right, except for the "illegals" part. Unfortunately, the over-use of exclamation points indicates a 13-year-old troll.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Or, someone who fell asleep during every English class in high school and college. Remember kids, proper spelling, grammar and syntax are our friends!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM

448 posts, read 919,142 times
I think were all counting the days until C.J. leaves S.A.

Anyways, here's any article that came out in today's paper-

S.A. medical industry grows to $15.3 billion

Web Posted: 10/09/2007 07:47 PM CDT

Travis E. Poling
Express-News Business Writer

The economic impact of San Antonio's health-care and bioscience industry has more than doubled in the past decade, according to a study released Tuesday by the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.
The health sector's impact grew by 7.7 percent to $15.3 billion last year, and the total number of health-care and bioscience jobs grew by 5,591 to 112,762 compared with the year before, according to the study by Trinity University professors Mary Stefl and Richard Butler.

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Here's the link:

MySA.com: Business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA101007.01E.HealthCare.29a9bd6.html - broken link)

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-10-2007 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Please don't post whole articles; just a snippet and then the link. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,772 times
USAA would be an option. What about Civil Service? Obviously it would need to be at a high enough GS level (you can check on the USA Jobs website for federal gov't positions in the area)...

The healthcare field sounds like a good choice as well.

If you've ever considered a career in teaching, there is the Troops to Teachers program (teaching is certainly not overly lucrative, I know, but there are intrinsic rewards).

C.J. is right - you certainly do want to steer away from hourly jobs at fast food restaurants because those do seem a bit underpaid. Otherwise, as a degreed professional, I think you would do just fine.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,483 times
yankeegirl17,
At the risk of boring the friends that read daily, let me tell you how much I enjoy SA. I've been here 4 months and have only positive things to say! If you have done your research and decided on SA here's a hearty welcome! There are more and less desirable areas of any place. Just use good judgement. Not sure what branch of the military you have served in for the past 12 years but thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio