Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,139 times

Advertisements

It doesn't have to be real close, just within a 10 hour drive of here. Any suggestions? Keep in mind, I haven't been anywhere, not Houston, not Dallas, not New Orleans, I'm from the West Coast.

Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,189 times
Stay away from NO.

Check out Fredericksburg, Texas(north of SA)

Nice country town. Good bed and breakfast place there. Nice little shops. Peaceful, friendly, small town atmosphere.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
There's no reason to stay away from New Orleans. Yeah, they have problems and always have but the French Quarter is fine. If you've never been there it's definitely worth a visit.

As for Fredericksburg, I don't know how old you are, but I find that it appeals mostly to an older crowd (no offense meant here). It's basically just a place where you walk up and down main street looking at shops. There's a great place nearby though for hiking if you're into that. It's called Enchanted Rock...google it for info.

If you haven't been to Austin I would definitely suggest a visit there.

Tell us your interests and you'll get a lot more suggestions. Welcome to Texas!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,139 times
Thanks for the advice so far. Very useful info. As for our interests, pretty much everything, except we aren't big partiers (don't drink). We especially want to see the "must see" sites.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Well, since I'm in Austin, I'll start the ball rolling there. I would definitely take an overnight trip to Austin and stay at one of the downtown hotels. Take a tour of the capitol building and you'll hear all kinds of Texas trivia. Walk over to the Bob Bullock State Museum and learn everything you've ever wanted to about Texas history. While you're there catch a movie at the IMAX theater. If you're there on a weekend, take a tour of the UT (University of Texas) Tower for great views of the downtown area. Google the history before you go. Take a walk around Town Lake (which is actually a damned up portion of the Colorado River - not THE Colorado River but then that's another story!). Explore the crazy shops and restaurants along South Congress for a taste of the Keep Austin Weird side of Austin. Definitely don't miss the Whole Foods store on Fifth and N. Lamar. This is not your ordinary grocery store! Take a drive out to Lake Travis and have lunch or dinner (get there before sunset) at the Oasis. Great, great views and fabulous photo opportunities.

Anyone else?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,189 times
Stay away from NO.

Especially now since there isnt a damn thing there except homeless people and a football team that is out of the post season.

F'burg is fun for all ages. It is innocent fun, not the sin around of party city Atx.

Check out Katy(Outside Houston)

Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default Places to Go to in Texas

If you're into camping, or just picnicking, try going to some of the Texas State Parks. For $60 dollars you can get a yearly pass for entry into more than 120 different parks and historic areas. Here is their web site:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

The Texas travel site covers all of Texas:

http://www.traveltex.com/

Here is an interesting Texas web site:

http://texaslesstraveled.com/

Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Highland Lakes of the Hill Country are awesome....Marble Falls, Burent, Llano. All these towns are amazingly pretty. The lakes are fantastic. The people up there are really friendly and it's all with in 2 hours of San Antonio.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
It's late now and only just saw this thread. I'll definitely be able to give you some good info on terrific drives and places to see since you did say a 10 hour drive was do-able! I'll try and remember some things and report back.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Stay away from NO.

Especially now since there isnt a damn thing there except homeless people and a football team that is out of the post season.
Nov, I have nothing against you, but reading this post, nothing personal but how old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio