Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:00 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times

Advertisements

I'll be going to Rainbow Gardens later on today. I have to get a packet of bean seeds. Rainbow Gardens is on the other side of the world for me. Luckily, I have to be on that side of town anyway to get measured for a monkey suit for my sons wedding in August. Anyway, the reason I am traveling to the other side of town to get one packet of beans seeds is because, apparently, nobody carries them over here. We only have one real nursery, Fannicks, and they were sold out of the kind of beans that I wanted. All other places that should sell seeds like the garden departments of Home Depot, Walmart etc. told me that seeds were a seasonal item and only sold in the spring. What a crock. Garden Departments that don't sell seeds? I could go there in the dead of winter and buy a lawnmower. They can keep lawn mowers in stock year round but they can't keep a seed rack in the corner? I hate big box stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,567 times
Quote:
We have also been trying to cultivate the soil with a bagged manure mixture + bagged soil, but it's been tough....any suggestions?
Yes, use some of the rocks to create raised flower beds (but be careful for bugs, scorpions, and so on when handling the rocks).
That way, instead of having to dig down, you simply add the good soil on top of whatever is there.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
Sprinkle used grounds around plants before rain or watering, for a slow-release nitrogen
Encircle the base of the plant with a coffee and eggshell barrier to repel pests.
Straight coffee grounds benefit plants. When acted upon by soil microbes, coffee grounds release mostly nitrogen (N). They also release magnesium and zinc, micronutrients and amino acids. They feed earthworms; they loosen the soil; they retain water; and they release caffeine which repels slugs.
Straight coffee grounds are also acidic, ranging in acidity from 5.0 - 3.0 pH. Used too much or too often they can burn roots of plants that dislike acidic soil. And, straight coffee grounds do not supply other essential plant macronutrients, phosphorous (P) nor potassium (K).

Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
So, we're new to the TX too and recently moved into our new home. So, we've been working to create some landscape area in the back yard etc.....and, we've been "trying" to dig holes. Holy Cow!! (no pun intended!) - I mean you need a jack-hammer to dig a hole!! Would love to dig a hole twice as deep as the pot, but it's all we can do to get a hole as large as the pot! LOL....we hit rock, rock, rock, rock and, did I say rock? Then there's a little clay-like sandy stuff. Very back-breaking and frustrating. We have also been trying to cultivate the soil with a bagged manure mixture + bagged soil, but it's been tough....any suggestions?
If your on the nw side especially it's rock , rock and more rock. You need to buy what they call a rock pick. It's a very heavy steel bar with a chisel like end on it. On the southside it's just very hard soil mainly. You do need to loosen up a bigger spot than you need to drop in your plant.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:20 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
Fierce - I no longer go to Rainbow Gardens.

I can't get out of there without spending a small fortune It's amazing, isn't it? Though I still end up at Fannicks more than I should.

As for the crepe myrtles and your pipes...all I can say is we have 5 very very large crepe myrtles, with clay pipes and haven't had an issue yet. The CM's are a bear to control though. Ours are all trees...no idea how they get that way. But we do get TONS of shoots which drive me insane. I am constantly cutting.

KY Filly - we don't have the rock problem (we're in town/SE), but I was at a friend's place on the NW side recently and saw their wonderful rock wall border. I asked where they bought all their rocks....hah! All came from their yard. I could use some rocks. So, maybe you can make some use of them?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
I don't have many suggestions for the rocks. I seem to have "patches" of the yard that are rocky. Very strange. I can say that when digging it helps to soak the heck out of the area you want to dig in first. Much much easier IMO to remove mud with a shovel, vs dry clay rocky stuff.

Thanks for the responses on the CM's and the pipes and whatnot. Now all I need is a large spotlight or something.... no way I'm digging holes in daylight in this heat! Ugh!

As for seeds, one question: are other places cheaper on seeds in general than Rainbow Gardens? I didn't buy any yesterday, as I have no clue on "normal" prices. Their packets of Morning Glory and Zinnia seeds were $1.50 to $2.00. Snappy: I did see lots of bean seeds there, by the way. I looked at them since I plan on planting some eventually.

My HEB has a seed rack, never paid much attention to it though.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 PM

394 posts, read 1,505,920 times
Thanks for all the suggestions regarding the rocks. Yeah, creating more of a "raised area" or just resorting to big pots might be the way to go. We were able to dig a hole large enough to put a Pride of Barbados - I want to plant some smaller things under it though - or might go the pot/container route. We did some nice pots on our front porch arranged around our fountain and I do have a couple pots out back so far. I'll say one thing though - I love the options in this climate for plantings! And the long growing season! Yay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio