U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times

Advertisements

I know there are a LOT of AF people here that are or were based at Randolph Air Force Base.

I spent four WONDERFUL years living on base EONS ago. I remember some really fascinating things about life on the base. For that matter, life on any SA base or post would be interesting.

RE: Randolph.....does anyone remember the story about the "monkey graveyard" out on Perimeter Road? We used to drive around there all the time....just vague memories as I was about 12 at the time. From what I recall, there were four of them....test "pilot" chimps that died in flight somewhere and were exposed to high amounts of radiation. I think there were even names on the graves....which were more like cement boxes. (or maybe that's my childhood fantasy adding to the story). The area was in a little corner along the fence on the East side of the runway...outside Perimeter Rd. It was fenced in with chain link and barbed wire.

I've been out there since and apparently they have been relocated. (if the radiation part is correct, I'm sure they are no longer on the base....or even near civilization....maybe area 51???

This map shows the approximate location of where they were buried. IF they even existed!!!! (hey...I'm open to being wrong!) I do know that something was there! I'd love to know if anyone remembers them! or a story about them....or where they went!

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

This note says incompatible with browser, but give it a try anyway. It works for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,973,058 times
Randolph..."West Point of the Air". Big base. Lots of history there!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,159,872 times
wCat

Whereas that is an interesting story, I think it is urban legend simply because Randolph has always been a training base and any 'chimp test pilots' wouldn't have been used there (well, that all depends on the IQ of some of the students!). Also, I don't see the USAF burying radioactive monkeys on Randolph, if anything like that were to happen (and more likely it would have been at Edwards in California or Groom Lake in Nevada), they would properly disposed of the bodies.

Nick, you know it is called that due to the 1935 movie by the same title that was filmed there...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 PM

114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
wCat

Whereas that is an interesting story, I think it is urban legend simply because Randolph has always been a training base and any 'chimp test pilots' wouldn't have been used there (well, that all depends on the IQ of some of the students!). Also, I don't see the USAF burying radioactive monkeys on Randolph, if anything like that were to happen (and more likely it would have been at Edwards in California or Groom Lake in Nevada), they would properly disposed of the bodies.

Nick, you know it is called that due to the 1935 movie by the same title that was filmed there...

Cheers! M2
The movie "Wings" I believe was partially filmed at Randolph. Filmed in the 1920's by the Star Film Ranch. They operated out of the old Hot Wells Motel grounds back in 1910-1912 I think. It won the first Academy Award for best picture I believe. Must have been a silent movie. This is all based on what I've found on the internet.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
wCat

Cheers! M2

M2....You may probably be correct about the radio active part, but as a kid, I remember vividly the grave sites. I'll have to dig up some of my class mates from Randolph to help me with details. It was a big deal to take our friends from off base to the "monkey grave yard" since we were sort of grounded there. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm not crazy.

BTW - this would have been in the late 60's......maybe somone smartened up by now, since they're no longer there!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,973,058 times
Max, I am pretty sure the movie got its name from what people actually called it back then, "West Point of the Air". I could be wrong, but I'm 90% sure I'm right I can't rememebr where I read it. Nothing to really quibble about, though.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Max, I am pretty sure the movie got its name from what people actually called it back then, "West Point of the Air". I could be wrong, but I'm 90% sure I'm right I can't rememebr where I read it. Nothing to really quibble about, though.
I agree Nick. It's a "chicken or the egg" thing. That doesn't change the fact that it's often referred to as the "West Point of the Air".

Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,159,872 times
TexasNick

Actually, I wouldn't argue with you as either way it is corny!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
TexasNick

Actually, I wouldn't argue with you as either way it is corny!

Cheers! M2
M2.....you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Nick....did you find this link when you were searching?

Handbook of Texas Online - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE

It supports your post above about the West Point of the Air. It further explains that the exquisite architecture and layout of the base further added to that title.

The article mentioned finding the location for the base reminds me of another "urban legend" that still circulates around. The property for Randolph field was primarily purchased from the descendants of Adolph Schertz....obviously he was a large land owner. The history is that his farm was cleared for construction and he and some other family members were buried on the land. Some of the graves were disinterred, but his remains were never recovered as some of the markers were destroyed or no longer legible. As the layout of the base was planned, it was determined that he is buried under one of the runways. I am not kidding about this one either. Of course I can't prove it.....and I doubt anyone can....but it sure is interesting!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,269,773 times
Wings was filmed at Fort Sam. It did win the first Acedamy Award for best picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio