U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, NEISD will instead choose to charge those who attend NESA and the other magnets from outside the district rather than shut the schools down. Their should be consideration for low income and high achieving students though. I seriously doubt this has to do with UIL ranking since the census days will have already taken place before NESA is shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM

91 posts, read 234,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I trust the district's explanation. $63 million is a big deficit for the district to make up and it has to come from somewhere. This magnet school would likely be the easiest one to close out of all of the NEISD magnets. It appears that most of the others bring in some external funding because of their focus on agriculture or technology.

Note that 40-some NESA students live outside of NEISD and pay no tuition to attend there. At $8,000+ per student per year, that's a lot of money for NEISD taxpayers to invest in kids from other districts and other counties.
Bowie said: "I trust the districts explanation."

Normally i would too but IMO the explanation is the reason im confused about this decision. when i first heard this news the NEISD admid. implied that many of the kids that go NESA do not live in the district and go this school for FREE!!! that might not be true!

But Ive been told that districts receive in state funding for for each student it enrolls every year! ($6000 per student) no matter where they came from.

For example i have a friend who lives on the south side district but has a child going to a north side magnet school. she has to pay the north side magnet school a small tuition fee because it costs the magnet school a little more money than the school receives from the state.

Does anyone on this board know if districts really do receive funding for each student it enrolls?

BTW i hope NEISD and Dr.Middleton can figure out a way to save this great program and i will be sure to bump this thread and give them lots of LOVE!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA78228 View Post
Does anyone on this board know if districts really do receive funding for each student it enrolls?
Yes, the state sends funds to the district for each student, on the days that they are enrolled and present (another discussion on this board asked about why the district cares so much about attendance.)

However, the true cost of an education at NESA is more than what the state gives NEISD, or what the NEISD spends per student. Hence, the deficit.

If there is any way Dr. Middleton can save this program, I am sure that he will. He created it, and seems to be quite proud of it. (Rightly so).

Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 PM

i bet many of the kids parents would have no problem paying the difference in tuition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post

If there is any way Dr. Middleton can save this program, I am sure that he will. He created it, and seems to be quite proud of it. (Rightly so).

Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM

"In a radical move to both cut costs and save a popular magnet program, North East Independent School District leaders are considering charging $6,600 in annual tuition for out-of-district students who attend the North East School of the Arts."

"Dr.Middleton is committed to keeping the program open, at least in the short term."

Out-of-district tuition proposed (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/North_East_looks_at_tuition_for_arts_school.html?c =y&commentSubmitted=y#comments - broken link)

I have to give Dr. Middleton some credit for trying to keep this program open for at least the short term.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA78228 View Post
"In a radical move to both cut costs and save a popular magnet program, North East Independent School District leaders are considering charging $6,600 in annual tuition for out-of-district students who attend the North East School of the Arts."

"Dr.Middleton is committed to keeping the program open, at least in the short term."

Out-of-district tuition proposed (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/North_East_looks_at_tuition_for_arts_school.html?c =y&commentSubmitted=y#comments - broken link)

I have to give Dr. Middleton some credit for trying to keep this program open for at least the short term.
While I applaud the effort at recovering the taxpayers' investment in the school (I was the first one to point out the inequity above), I believe the result of such expensive tuition will be that fewer out of district students will attend. That will lead the school to either lower its admission standards and be less competitive/justifiable or end up with fewer students, which increases the per-student cost to send a student there.

I predict that the new paradigm spares NESA for one or two years before it's back on the chopping block. IMO, the program's not sustainable under that model. I have an eligible 8th grader and there's no way I would send him to it now.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
It might just add to the prestige of NEISD. A selling point to property inside the district.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 PM

816 posts, read 1,474,363 times
Quote:
While I applaud the effort at recovering the taxpayers' investment in the school (I was the first one to point out the inequity above),
I disagree with the amount the Superintendent wants to charge. Much has been said about the "taxpayer's investment", but yet I helped pay for some of these schools even though I don't live in the district. How? Well I shop at North Star, I eat at Chuy's, I do business with people who office by the airport, etc. Most of the tax base is from businesses and not homes (this is one reason why the southside districts are so poor). I can see asking out-of-district students to pay the average taxes that a NEISD resident pays, but $6000+ is completely without reason.

Let's say the average house in NEISD is worth $200,000. The taxes would be about $2600 a year. No big deal - completely justifiable. Even asking an additional bit because we don't do "all" of our shopping in NEISD (buying gas, groceries, etc.) would be ok.

My thought is that the $6000 number is something put out there to scare people into thinking that the school isn't worth it and should therefore close. Remember, this is from the same man who wanted to not let the ISA students participate in Lee extracuricullar activities so that Lee could move down to 4A to help the football team's record.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I can see asking out-of-district students to pay the average taxes that a NEISD resident pays, but $6000+ is completely without reason.
One of the articles I read stated that the difference between what the state pays per student and what it costs the district per student per year to educate a student at NESA is around $10,000. I get your point, but maybe it's based on incomplete information? IMO, asking out-of-district students to cover 66% of that difference makes sense.

As another point of reference, in another recent thread someone pointed out that Alamo Heights charges over $7,000/student for out-of-district students to attend non-magnet schools in their district. This is a magnet program, ostensibly with better resources than a non-magnet program.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
One of the articles I read stated that the difference between what the state pays per student and what it costs the district per student per year to educate a student at NESA is around $10,000. I get your point, but maybe it's based on incomplete information? IMO, asking out-of-district students to cover 66% of that difference makes sense.

As another point of reference, in another recent thread someone pointed out that Alamo Heights charges over $7,000/student for out-of-district students to attend non-magnet schools in their district. This is a magnet program, ostensibly with better resources than a non-magnet program.
why is Middleton now claiming its $10,000 per student?

last week it was $8000?

"NESA has the highest per-student cost at nearly $8,000"
Arts high school open for at least another year (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/82331747.html - broken link)

next week it could be $12,000!!!

You're right Bowie he wants to kill this School.....

Last edited by SA78228; 02-03-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio