U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
 
787 posts, read 1,061,533 times
Reputation: 314
We are moving to SA in June and was considering having my son audition for NESA's music program, but I read about what was going on w ith the budget and decided against it, since I don't want him to have to change schools in his sophomore or junior year. We are considering the NEISD anyway, so we wouldn't have been out of district. It's too bad that this program is on the chopping block...it looks like a quality program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
 
870 posts, read 1,857,411 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Note that 40-some NESA students live outside of NEISD and pay no tuition to attend there. At $8,000+ per student per year, that's a lot of money for NEISD taxpayers to invest in kids from other districts and other counties.
Not 40-something students, but 45% of the current 262 students, or approximately 118 students according to the article.

The article also states that it costs the district approximately $8,000 per student, or $1,500 more per student than the average high school student.

$6600 x 118 = $778,800 in added revenue from those not living in the district.

NESA isn't the only school that allows students from outside the district. DECA at Roosevelt is another one, but there may be others. I assume that the district chose to put NESA on the chopping block because it has a higher per student cost than DECA. To be fair, any one attending NEISD schools who do not live in the district should be paying tuition. I agree that $6600 is a steep price, but considering that is what it is costing the school district extra, it is totally within reason.

[quote] Montirob: I disagree with the amount the Superintendent wants to charge. Much has been said about the "taxpayer's investment", but yet I helped pay for some of these schools even though I don't live in the district. How? Well I shop at North Star, I eat at Chuy's, I do business with people who office by the airport, etc. Most of the tax base is from businesses and not homes (this is one reason why the southside districts are so poor). I can see asking out-of-district students to pay the average taxes that a NEISD resident pays, but $6000+ is completely without reason.

Let's say the average house in NEISD is worth $200,000. The taxes would be about $2600 a year. No big deal - completely justifiable. Even asking an additional bit because we don't do "all" of our shopping in NEISD (buying gas, groceries, etc.) would be ok.[\quote]

I understand that you are supporting the businesses who pay NEISD school taxes, but not actually paying the taxes. (The tax rate for NEISD, according to BCAD is 1.4029% for both businesses and home owners.) One cannot simply use the 'average' taxing amount of $2600 to figure the additional tuition costs. I'm sure if you were an NISD homeowner with a home value of less than $200K, you would agree. It makes more sense to use the actual cost difference. Besides, how would that 'additional bit' be figured?

At least one of the NISD magnet schools charges tuition for out of district students - Communication Arts. Does anyone know how much the tuition is or how it is figured?

[quote] Montirob:My thought is that the $6000 number is something put out there to scare people into thinking that the school isn't worth it and should therefore close. Remember, this is from the same man who wanted to not let the ISA students participate in Lee extracuricullar activities so that Lee could move down to 4A to help the football team's record.[\quote]

I disagree. The figure is based on actual numbers, not on scare tactics. NESA is an asset to the school district. My Churchill student has friends that attend NESA who were very upset that the district might consider closing it. There were lots of discussions held in classes regarding this issue, and the decision to charge $6600 out-of-district tuition fits in line with what she heard at school from the teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: San Antonio
14,485 posts, read 20,831,152 times
Reputation: 9666
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Not 40-something students, but 45% of the current 262 students, or approximately 118 students according to the article.

The article also states that it costs the district approximately $8,000 per student, or $1,500 more per student than the average high school student.

$6600 x 118 = $778,800 in added revenue from those not living in the district.
Good catch. Although, I strongly suspect that at least half of those 118 students will not continue at the school when the district starts charging, because their families will either be unable to afford it or unwilling to pay. I believe that is a likely Achilles heel of the plan. Can NESA still be viable with 50-60 fewer students? We may find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 02:35 PM
 
683 posts, read 877,558 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I understand that you are supporting the businesses who pay NEISD school taxes, but not actually paying the taxes. (The tax rate for NEISD, according to BCAD is 1.4029% for both businesses and home owners.) One cannot simply use the 'average' taxing amount of $2600 to figure the additional tuition costs. I'm sure if you were an NISD homeowner with a home value of less than $200K, you would agree. It makes more sense to use the actual cost difference. Besides, how would that 'additional bit' be figured?
My point (and I'm just debating here so please don't take my posts as attacks) is that we need to look at a different way of funding schools. To say that Crossroads (er, Wonderland) Mall should pay all of their taxes to NEISD just because it sits on the other side of Fredericksburg Road doesn't make any sense. The mall is surrounded by SAISD on three sides and I would venture a guess that a great many of its patrons live in SAISD. The mall makes money (and thus is able to stay in business and pay its taxes) from SAISD (and NISD) residents but yet it doesn't support the schools surrounding it. Yes a gas station out past 1604 probably doesn't get a bunch of revenue from other districts, but things like malls or hotels or office buildings are not necessarily located in a certain district because of the schools, but because of access to highways, the airport, etc.

Can you imagine if Fiesta Texas had decided to locate in the East Central area (one high school)? The district would have the lowest tax rate in the city. This is one reason why so many rural districts in Texas are listed as "rich" - it's not because the parents are paying huge taxes, but because of a large industrial facility located there.

I don't know what the actual $ figure for tuition should be, but the current proposed amount is, in my opinion, not justified.

[Full disclosure: I live in SAISD, and I already pay to send my kids to private school.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
 
870 posts, read 1,857,411 times
Reputation: 552
Unfortunately for SAISD, Crossroads/Wonderland is in the NEISD district, therefore the taxes go to NEISD. Can't do much about that. Sea World is NISD, or did they get a tax abatement for a zillion years? I guess we have to look at that, too. I know in the past, in order to encourage businesses to move here, they were given tax abatements. That doesn't help, either.

I do wonder, though, what the schools in Bexar County would be like if we had a consolidated school district as opposed to all the ones that exist. It'll never happen, I'm sure, because the better funded via property taxes school districts would howl and all the administrators would be out of jobs, etc., etc., etc.

LOL - I paid for private school, too, for several years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
91 posts, read 170,806 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post

I don't know what the actual $ figure for tuition should be, but the current proposed amount is, in my opinion, not justified.
Rich families will have no problem paying $7000 a year!

Maybe San Antonio can create a free "Public School" for the Arts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 07:51 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,584 times
Reputation: 10
NO!!! By lowering the out of disterict kids he'll save the school. 75% of the students were out of distric so the school got no money for them. thus causing a deficit.

Last edited by cellonerd; 11-13-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,584 times
Reputation: 10
Okay look, i have no clue where any of you got your info, but you all have it wrong. NESA NEVER charged anyone tuition untill now. i know, my sister just graduated from the school. The tuition was supposed to be $6000 a year, $3000 before the end of each semester. the only reason the school stayed open was because it's students and colleges around the country refused to see it die. and no one cares about UIL sports, cuz the only one Lee is good at is Soccer. now Nesa did huge in district recruting and has turned the tide, now the in district students out number the out of district sooooooo....*drumroll*.....IT'S FREE AGAIN!!!!!! and i will be inrolling myself for the second semester. Thank you and good night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,584 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Good catch. Although, I strongly suspect that at least half of those 118 students will not continue at the school when the district starts charging, because their families will either be unable to afford it or unwilling to pay. I believe that is a likely Achilles heel of the plan. Can NESA still be viable with 50-60 fewer students? We may find out.
Um they thought of that, incoming juniors and seniors did not have to pay, and if you moved in district then you no longer had to pay because the school would get money from the property taxes. and once you're a part of this program, you do anything you can to stay a part of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: San Antonio
14,485 posts, read 20,831,152 times
Reputation: 9666
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellonerd View Post
once you're a part of this program, you do anything you can to stay a part of it
My son had a couple of friends who were disappointed with NEISD magnet programs (NESA and DATA) and transferred back to Churchill after a year.

There's a poster here whose daughter had the same experience at NESA.

If it works for your kid and they like it better than the school they came from, that's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top