U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM

14 posts, read 45,993 times

Advertisements

Ott Elementary School, 7 pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,719,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds View Post
Ott Elementary School, 7 pm
did anyone that lives out that way get to go?????

Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,336,740 times
Does TxDOT post announcements for these meetings? If so, where?

thanks,

Old 01-24-2007, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 123,001 times
MY neighbor went and this was his report.

FYI

A representative from the TxDOT Planning Office (didn't catch her name) and Glenn Pandee with the contracting company Rodriguez Texas Group, briefed us on what the Potranco Rd. project is, and what the immediate, short-term, and long term visions are. At the end of the briefing, the floor was open for questions/comments.

In short, Potranco Rd. going west (and back) is going to get worse before it gets any better, and it's due to a lack of funding.

Here are some details:

The project encompasses the Potranco stretch from 1604 west to where Potranco ends at 471 (near Rio Medina)
Both Bexar and Medina counties are involved
The obvious population boom in this area was noted

The original plans (I'm not sure when they were drawn up) were looking 20-30 yrs down the road (so to speak)
Funding has been identified for the year 2015 (TxDOT acknowledged this is insufficient, but it was the long range plan)

Steven's and Redbird Ranch are both massive master planned subdivisions (already under construction) and will bring an enormous amount of traffic to our west side of town (211 and Potranco). Click that link to find some discussion on the subject (along with some maps, pictures, and diagrams).

As of today, there's an average of 20,000 people who use this stretch of road
Three main project objectives Mr. Pandee touched on:
Improve General Safety - working with city engineering
Operational Safety - increase road capacity & reduce conflict points
Regional Connectivity
Visions:
Right now Potranco is a two-lane road with an 80 foot right-of-way (ROW)
Intermediate plans call for developing the road into a four-lane with no sidewalks, and no bike lanes (outer lanes to be over- sized to accommodate bikes)
Long-term, the road in Bexar County will have six-lanes, Medina will have four, both counties with sidewalks and bike lanes
Funding:
As I've already mentioned, there is no funding for the interim (until 2015)

There is something called " Pass-through funding" that could allow things to get moving sooner. Click that link and read the article near the bottom of that page for more info.

Timeline:
Jan '07 - Planning Stage (including public input)
Apr '07 - Comment on Alternatives (2nd public meeting)
Summer '07 - Final Decision
I hope this info was helpful for those who made it down the page this far. The bad news is, in the short-run, traffic is only going to get worse that way - I think even on this side of 1604 due to places like Steven's and Redbird subdivisions and all the folks coming down this way to HEB, Kohl's, etc. On the up-side, at least there is some action taking place, and the public is getting involved. I encourage anyone who feels like they've got something to say about this issue to formulate some questions/comments and attend the April meeting.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,354,285 times
Default Potranco Widening Suggestion

potranco,

Thank you for the great input. As I suspected, there was something wrong when TxDOT decided to have a meeting when plans were already on their website to begin this month (Jan 2007). There are several developments between Loop 1604 and SH 211. Why don't the builders chip in some money to help with widening Potranco between these two points?

Last edited by Steel Man; 01-24-2007 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 45,993 times
Default Builders Chip In?...

Good suggestion Steel. I think builders might chip in once the public is fed up enough to where they start protesting and it starts to impact home sales. I would guess probably not before then, however. It may take picket signs & a 20/20 story. I hope I'm wrong.

It is the company/builder profit incentive to build places like HEB Plus!, Walmart, and the massive master planned communities such as Stevens & Redbird - it would be in the public's best interest to ensure they are also looking out for those they are affecting around their endeavors.

Again, TxDOT has notified the public that things are only in the planning stage, there is no money to begin breaking ground, and there won't be any funding until 2015.

I just can't help but be pessimistic about this stretch of road in one of the - if not the - fastest growing areas of SA. If people think it's bad now at 1604 & Potranco west, just wait until the Walmart Supercenter opens in the very near future. The two lane road will be extremely insufficient. I can only imagine how it will be once it's a construction zone nightmare as they finally begin to widen (that will be a bitter-sweet time).

I would like to think that it only makes business sense to make the communities you're trying to market more attractive by ensuring favorable traffic conditions. If that's the case, although TxDOT funding will be slow, maybe the builders will chip in to make things a little better in the interim. I hope I'm right.

tWeeds

Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,354,285 times
Default Potranco Road Expansion Hearings

Here is the link to the minutes of the Jan 23rd presentation by TxDOT:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/about_us/...esentation.pdf

Interesting, they have the project starting at FM471 and heading East to Loop 1604. IMO, it should start at Loop 1604 and head West to SH 211 at this time and extend to FM 471 in the future.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,646,043 times
There home sells will def. be impacted once most of the homes are built and bought. It's going to be so bad (the traffic) people may have to take 211 to 90 instead of just Potranco to 1604.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or