Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,307 times

Advertisements

CBC and Harvest would probably be our best choices, but they are both 20 miles away, and they are in that Sunday traffic zone (Mega-Church central) that I would rather stay away from.

I should clarify what we are looking for. The reason we don't want to go too far away, is because we want to be close to the body of believers that attend whatever church we end up at. We don't want to be making friends with people who live too far away, and we can never really connect with. I looked into Harvest last night, and they have 2 small groups in Helotes, (10 miles away) and the rest are further East. Also, we really are looking for 2 basic criteria. Worship that we enjoy, and a pastor who does not only preach Christianity 101, but goes deeper, and is a good teacher. Many churches around here (IMO) only preach to new believers, or "Sunday Christians." Not that it's a bad thing, just not what we are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,059 times
We've been visiting Harvest and like it a lot. My wife and I really enjoy the youth ministry there and would hope to get involved if we end up committing ourselves to this ministry.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Harvest on Wednesdays has a wonderful pastor, Mike Daniel, that goes much deeper into the Word than they do on Sundays. I don't really feel that Sundays are only for new believers, but there is an altar call every time--I just think that's the day that new believers choose to be in church. The pastors really encourage you to join a life group so that you do stay connected and more importantly, accountable. And like I mentioned before, the youth and children's ministry at Harvest is awesome--I wish they had groups like that when I was a kid. I think life may have turned out a little differently for me, but that's a whole different topic!

Anyway, I know that God will lead you to where you need to be. Keep searching, and you will find!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 AM

33 posts, read 118,323 times
Default Might try NWCC

Aquajox,
When our family moved here about 18 months ago, I never thought it would be so difficult to find a church that we could all enjoy. However, after bouncing around for awhile, we have settled on Northwest Community Church located on Guilbeau Road, just down the road from Crossroads Baptist, which we attended for a short time. It is a smaller church with a really good teaching pastor, a somewhat contemporary service (blends hymns with newer worship songs), a dedication to missions here and abroad, good Sunday School teaching and small groups, which we have not taken advantage of yet. Highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for something that is not a mega-church. Two services on Sunday, 0900 and 1030.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:26 PM

We decided to try Harvest this morning and we really liked the church. The Wednesday night pastor was giving the sermon, and I was very impressed with him. We also enjoyed the worship. It has everything we are looking for in a church except for one thing, it's too far away, which carries a lot of weight in our decision. So we are going to keep looking.

Bigbill, we didn't think it would be so difficult to find a church either. We might come check out your church next week.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,941 times
Default Prince of Peace Community Church (POPCC)

POPCC has an informative video on their website that gives you a feel for their ministry. Visit online at http://www.PopCommunityChurch.org (broken link)

Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPCC View Post
POPCC has an informative video on their website that gives you a feel for their ministry. Visit online at http://www.PopCommunityChurch.org (broken link)
I checked out the website, it sounds interesting. Is it a church plant? How long have they been meeting? What denomination?

We're also considering NW Hills UMC on Tezel, and University UMC on De Zavala.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 29,929 times
Not sure where you live but we go to BRCC (Bandera Road Community Church)every Sunday at 11:30am, there is also a service at 10am and 1pm I believe. This is the young and old, wear your jeans to type of Church with the non traditional Church sermons or lessons but definitly interest keeping Bible related lessons. And the band in the beginning is wonderful..I love the songs they sing there and the people are really nice and non-judgemental. You look forward to going every Sunday and you leave the Church just feeling good about yourself and life I recommend everyone visit if they haven't before.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Our search is over. We tried Northwest Hills UMC (www.nwhills.org) this Sunday and really felt it was the right place for us. They have great contemporary worship, and the word is strong. It is also very kid friendly, and close to home, only 15 minutes away on Tezel.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 PM

23 posts, read 94,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
Our search is over. We tried Northwest Hills UMC (www.nwhills.org) this Sunday and really felt it was the right place for us. They have great contemporary worship, and the word is strong. It is also very kid friendly, and close to home, only 15 minutes away on Tezel.
I'm glad you like Northwest Hills UMC. It's been my church home over 16 years now and I love the people and the spirit there. If you have kids, this church is the place for you and your family.

I just came across this site and found your thread and had to register to recommend NW Hills. Being on Tezel, we are a bit off the beaten path but it's well worth it to give us a visit. And remember the construction on Tezel won't last forever - hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio