U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 AM

429 posts, read 1,054,659 times

Advertisements

A little over a month ago, I noticed a peculiar looking vehicle parked in front of my house. I had just pulled up, and thought I had seen someone actually in the driver seat as I passed the vehicle to get to my driveway.

I shrugged it off, thinking it was a visitor for a neighbor's house...and that for some odd reason, this person decided to park in front of my home instead of the home being visited (which was weird, because every other house in sight had plenty of curb space in front of it).

Throughout the next several weeks, this car was seen somewhere along the front of my home at various times. I assumed after a while it was a friend of my immediate next door neighbor who rents the home, and whom I had never met.

But the car was only seen at night.

Yesterday afternoon, I get a call from my immediate neighbor on the other side of my home. She said her husband had seen someone walking down the sidewalk in front of my house around 5am, and gotten into that car, and pulled away and down the street--without turning on the headlights.

I told her I would look into it more the next time I saw the car. Of course, it happened later in the day--around 11pm last night, to be exact.

I had just gotten home from seeing Batman (great flick, by the way), and saw the car at the curb right near my driveway (the FURTHEST place to park from the rental neighbor's home). As I turned into the driveway, I saw my neighbor standing at her front porch, with her eagle eye (I joke, but she is friendly...and hey if she keeps her eyes open like this, I should feel better right?) she was staring right at the car.

So, I park in the garage and walk over to her. She said the car had just pulled up right before me, and was pretty sure the driver was still in the vehicle. I said "Well, I'll go up to the car and find out who it is what they are doing." She refused to let me do that...heh, she has been motherly to me in the past, so I figured I would indulge her. Instead, I agreed that I would go to my house and wait for her to let me know where this person went if they exited the car.

30 seconds after shutting the garage and walking into the house, there was a knock on my door. It was my neighbor...and she said the person got out of the car, crossed the street, and disappeared into the darkness between two homes.

She called the non-emergency police number, explained what we saw--and that we had seen this car before--and was told someone would be by shortly. FYI, we live probably half a mile north of the NE Police Substation on Jones-Maltsberger.

As we made small talk, about 1 minute later, a woman walked out from between the two homes and walked across the street towards us. As she got closer, she said "Have you seen an orange cat around? It's been missing, and someone called me to say it was in or around this yard". I almost burst out laughing at how ridiculous her claim was. By this time it was 11:30pm, and someone would not be looking for a cat without a flashlight....among many other obvious things.

The interesting part was that she made reference to "the vacant house". The home right across from me--one of the two she walked away from in the darkness--is recently empty. The homeowners built a new place, and have been slowly moving stuff out over the past 2-3 months. They still have a lot of stuff there, but they have been living in the new place. Oh and also it was burglarized 2 months ago--while vacant.

Knowing her car had been here numerous times, I said "Have you looked for your cat here often?" And she lied with, "No I haven't been here before." haha right

My neighbor told the woman we had called the police, and that she would be wise to hang around. The woman claimed to have a 12 year old child waiting with a friend...and a minute later added the child was autistic...and that she needed to leave. As she started pulling away, my neighbor called the police again and gave them her plates.

So...I won't keep rambling on, but the police never showed up. That is basically why I told this story. I think it is BS they never showed up...but I have a feeling this woman won't be showing up again anyways. BUT, if she does...any ideas?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM

4,146 posts, read 9,445,746 times
Call the cops again with that story and tell them that nobody showed up. That needs to be something they follow up on immediately. ALWAYS report suspicious vehicles in your neighborhood. You honestly should have done it the first time.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,508,718 times
Honestly...my first impression is someone is having an affair....good reason not to park too close to the house you're visiting

but yeah, you can report it as suspicious.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Call the cops again with that story and tell them that nobody showed up. That needs to be something they follow up on immediately. ALWAYS report suspicious vehicles in your neighborhood. You honestly should have done it the first time.
That was a detail I left out...holy carp I'm not sure how I forgot that part. I actually did call the non-emergency police number the first time I saw it...

As I was heading home that night, I passed the aftermath of a minor accident at the intersection of 1000 Oaks/Jones-Maltsberger. It appeared to have possibly been a hit-and-run because I only saw one vehicle in the intersection. When I noticed the odd vehicle in front of my house, I saw that it had significant front end damage as I pulled up. I called the non-emergency police number to report the suspicious vehicle, and I informed them that there was an accident nearby and this car looked like it had been in one recently (I later walked closer to the car and realized the damage appeared to have been there for a while--aged duct tape included).

I hung around to wait for the police that time, and never saw them arrive. I assumed they might have driven by at some point while I was in the house...but now I wonder if they ever responded to that call either (fyi it was the first time I had ever called the police to my street).

The car is a real piece of work. I don't live in a "rich" neighborhood by any means, but this thing is a real eyesore.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Honestly...my first impression is someone is having an affair....good reason not to park too close to the house you're visiting

but yeah, you can report it as suspicious.
That thought crossed our mind, and we talked about it while waiting for the police. The other home that she walked away from has a young female 17 or 18, and I believe she had gotten in trouble for having a guy friend sneak into the home in the last year. Neighborhood gossip, you know. We thought..."well maybe she swings both ways?" Of course, the other idea is that her mom is gone every now and then...and the dad is trying to have some discreet play time.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM

13,806 posts, read 26,686,393 times
get a gun. looks like you'll be a good candidate for the next person that gets to legally eliminate some trash..

Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,394,649 times
Get the license plate and a good description of the occupants. Keep on the cops. If no one shows up, say within 15-30 minutes call again. Talk to your neighbors as well.

I make sure they know that I know they don't belong, but being that direct is not for everyone.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Owl

112 posts, read 513,913 times
Another thought: This "person of interest," as they now say, might be homeless, and either sleeps in the car on some nights, or manages to break into an uninhapbited home where she can sleep safely. It's just a thought.

A few years ago, I was in a nice bookstore one night, in an upper-class neighborhood, and a normal looking woman began a conversation with me as we searched the shelves for what we wanted. Her story was, as she told it to me eventually, that she was living in her car, having fallen on some bad times (she was vague about the bad times, but I surmised it had to do with mental instability and whatever goes with that). She seemed intelligent and actually very nice and sympathetic. I asked her why she didn't go to a shelter, and she said "It's much safer to sleep in my car." I had to fight down the impulse to invite her to my house to have a shower and a night's rest in a clean, safe environment. I'm a total sucker for hard-luck stories. Of course, I spent the night feeling guilty, but eventually realized that this woman could have murdered us in our sleep, or made off with whatever she felt was valuable. Bottom line: it is so sad that we can't help others, when we can't trust them due to some rotten people.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM

3,479 posts, read 17,615,043 times
I would use the 911 number if the car shows up again. The police are busy but prevention is more valuable than inverstation after the fact.
I live in a neighborhood like you, everyone knows who belongs and who doesn't. Not nosey, but aware. I've gotten calls from people when strange cars or people are about my house. It feels nice, even when it's a worker I called to do something.
If the possible burgler or other trouble maker knows your watching and aware, they leave the area alone.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,258,734 times
Now, I'm rather paranoid. Okay, honestly, I'm REAL paranoid but I have my reasons. Good ones too but I won't get into all that here.

I also have an "eagle eye" neighbor.... and the bonus is, her house is very much hidden by trees and plants, and she's across the street and diagonal from me so she can see everything but no one can see her watching. She will always give me a call if something is amiss, and it is very much appreciated, especially with the trash living next door to worry about.

The way I have handled this sort of thing; usually I, or my GF if she's home, will walk right up to anyone "suspicious" sitting in a car in front of our house and say "Can I help you?", if it's daytime. If it is not daytime and we truly felt it was suspicious we'd call the police.

Especially if they've been there before but don't seem to have any business there and they aren't obviously visiting a particular person, or if they've been circling the block.

If it's daylight, I will walk out with pen and paper and write down the plate number. I'll even take my digital camera along and snap a pic of the car.

We had one guy circling the block and slowing down in front of our house and looking our way about FIVE times... I went in, got my camera, pen, and paper, and waited. When he saw me out there with camera in hand he hauled azz out of there and didn't come back.

My point is to let them know that I know they're there. Since this person knows you know, perhaps you've seen the last of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or