U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 PM

242 posts, read 592,803 times

Advertisements

I've had my certifications (EC-8, ESL) for a year, and still have not been able to get a job. I was thinking that my obstacle might be that I have my Master's degree, and am at a higher pay scale, but I spoke with a teacher the other day who said that the difference in pay is so small, he doubted that was the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:37 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,415,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amye1158 View Post
I've had my certifications (EC-8, ESL) for a year, and still have not been able to get a job. I was thinking that my obstacle might be that I have my Master's degree, and am at a higher pay scale, but I spoke with a teacher the other day who said that the difference in pay is so small, he doubted that was the reason.
True. In NEISD, you receive an additional 1800 per year for a master's degree. In addition, many teachers have master's degrees, so it really shouldn't be an obstacle. The biggest challenge is the sheer number of qualified applicants vs. the actual number of openings.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM

64 posts, read 255,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
True. In NEISD, you receive an additional 1800 per year for a master's degree. In addition, many teachers have master's degrees, so it really shouldn't be an obstacle. The biggest challenge is the sheer number of qualified applicants vs. the actual number of openings.
Honestly I think (just from what I have gathered) admin might think that if you have your masters you are over qualified for a teaching job. Because most of the people in education that do have a masters are looking to get into admin or some sort of coordinating position. Just a thought...

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 AM

242 posts, read 592,803 times
Ok, so here' my latest beef. I think I've already mentioned that every year I get well-meaning people telling me that the district is hiring "hundreds" or "thousands" of teachers. I hear those stories too. This year, the websites for the new schools (opening in August) even had an job opportunities link. So, anyway, the other day I discovered that as of April, the district had a hiring freeze on all outside applicants!! Then why do they advertise they need teachers? What a waste of my time these past few months have been.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. It's been bugging me since I learned about it.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,415,436 times
Quote:
Ok, so here' my latest beef. I think I've already mentioned that every year I get well-meaning people telling me that the district is hiring "hundreds" or "thousands" of teachers. I hear those stories too. This year, the websites for the new schools (opening in August) even had an job opportunities link. So, anyway, the other day I discovered that as of April, the district had a hiring freeze on all outside applicants!! Then why do they advertise they need teachers? What a waste of my time these past few months have been.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. It's been bugging me since I learned about it.
Which district are you talking about?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 PM

63 posts, read 207,678 times
Probably NISD. I taught high school social studies there for 3 years, then moved last year overseas. Came back last month to start the grind of looking for a teaching job again. My previous school is not hiring for SS--well, they did, but they wanted a coach and already hired him. So I have emailed every other HS in hopes of hearing something. My particular certification is very common--8-12 composite social studies--and typically, you can get in a lot easier for this subject if you are a coach. While I am not actively looking to coach, I would be willing to learn a sport and coach if that means I will get the job. I was certified for a year before I got hired the first time and it was a late hire. School had already been in session for 6 weeks when I got in. I have great references and exemplary evaluations--from an NISD school itself--but it still has not proved helpful. So try to keep positive and keep focused on looking. While my first hope was NISD because I have experience there and it was also my district growing up, I have also updated my application with NEISD and am also working on the applications for the other districts in the area. I am also looking to study and review to try to get certified for Generalist 4-8. This hopefully should open up more opportunities than just doing an additional certification in 4-8 social studies.

A friend/previous coworker told me a few days ago that NISD really is trying to hire from within first. There are several new elem. schools and I think 1 MS opening this fall, so you get a lot of teachers being transferred there from other schools. People with EC-4 might have a little better luck this year due to so many new schools opening.

I truly feel your pain. Just know that it is hard even for those of us who have been "in" before.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
Default Heard it too!

Quote:

I hear this EVERY year. I got my degree in 2005. I am from Alabama and I currently teach in Georgia. However, my father in law lives in SA and tells me ALL the schools need teachers. I have applied every year. I thought it was because I do not have a Texas certificate yet. I hold one in two other states at the moment. Let me know if you get a job...if there really jobs out there!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:50 PM

94 posts, read 201,126 times
I can relate to this. I have 4-8 Texas certification and a Masters degree. I tried for 2 years to get hired at NISD or NEISD before deciding to take a position in a private school. I happen to love my job and I am very happy, however I do get paid half the salary that I would if I worked in a public school not to mention benefits etc. are not as good. I have heard that you have to either know someone influential to get in the door, and/or you have to be willing to travel to other districts for the job. I have a friend who is attempting to get in at Harlingen (not sure if I spelled that right or if that is the exact name of district). I was solely applying to NISD/NEISD. Perhaps if I had tried other districts I may have had more luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,833 times
Don't believe all of the hype about there being "demand" and "tons of teaching jobs" that the school districts spew every year. We'll start seeing the complaints soon on this board...out of towners (and even residents) complaining about not being able to get hired, wasting their time etc..

Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
Pretty sure NISD has a hiring freeze on right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or