U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,315,022 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else had a problem securing a teacher position at NEISD, NISD, etc.??? I've been going on interview after interview for a music teacher position. I heard others have had a difficult time due to the influx of teachers in the city and indistrict, inhouse hiring. OR, I need to brush up on my interviewing skills??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,401,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Has anybody else had a problem securing a teacher position at NEISD, NISD, etc.??? I've been going on interview after interview for a music teacher position. I heard others have had a difficult time due to the influx of teachers in the city and indistrict, inhouse hiring. OR, I need to brush up on my interviewing skills??
It's not you...there is now an oversupply of applicants in San Antonio. This is mostly due to the salary increases in the last few years, along with alt-cert programs gearing up. Keep poking your head in the door...what level are you looking for?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

*Phew* Thank you. I KNOW I have the qualifications. It's just been very discouraging this summer. I'm interested in elementary...which I'm sure has an oversupply. We all love the little ones! But, I'll keep plugging away....

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM

111 posts, read 675,297 times
These are my suggestions:

1) If you know anyone that can get you in for an interview, do it.
2) Be forward, but not pushy. Emailing or showing up to introduce yourself if not a bad thing.
3) NISD and NEISD are the hardest districts to get into. Try others within SA.

I do not think you need to freak out. This is the #1 time to get hired until school starts. I believe that just because you have interviews and do not get the jobs, does not mean you are doing something wrong. It just means that you do not "fit into" what that school is looking for. Principals are picky and connect with certain personalities. Use the past interviews in your favor of knowing what they are looking for and gonna ask you. Brushing up on interview skills or questions cannot hurt either.

Remember you are not alone! But there are tons of jobs out there, you just have to find them - through a contact or other means!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 PM

Oh and also, music is not the most demanding position out there. So if you can or are interested in teaching anything else, do it

Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
*Phew* Thank you. I KNOW I have the qualifications. It's just been very discouraging this summer. I'm interested in elementary...which I'm sure has an oversupply. We all love the little ones! But, I'll keep plugging away....

NEISD elementaries reopen Monday. Show up in person. You never know who has a sudden vacancy. Also, get on the sub list!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
NEISD elementaries reopen Monday. Show up in person. You never know who has a sudden vacancy. Also, get on the sub list!
"Pobre" is so right. One of the schools I know of, the principal came back from her summer break in July and found out that 12 teachers had left. So you never know!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 PM

I will do that. Thank you everyone!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 PM

39 posts, read 146,891 times
Does anyone know if those with BA in Interdisc. Studies have an advantage over those who are alt-cert. when it comes to the hiring process?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama76 View Post
Does anyone know if those with BA in Interdisc. Studies have an advantage over those who are alt-cert. when it comes to the hiring process?
Once you are fully, and non-conditionally certified, it should not make a difference. In fact, some may prefer a candidate with a non-education degree (for instance, science).

That being said, that doesn't mean that some principals have different preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or