Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:26 PM

45 posts, read 99,306 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing everyone wants everything convenient for them.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I like variety. I get more excited about San Antonio getting a business that it didn't have before than I will ever be about getting a new HEB or Target. Since I chose to live in a part of town that was fairly close to all of the retailers that I need, I don't clamor for a new HEB or Target.

It seems like many people here chose to live in brand new areas that weren't close to existing retail centers. They're excited about businesses coming to them. I remember what that was like, because I did it once myself.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
I don't get too excited about a new store going up but I did like Costco's for awhile but the high is stating to wear off a bit. I like Costco's for their quality products and good prices. I go in spurts and usually get tired of shopping after I overindulge... then it is on to something else. I think it is like an addiction of sorts for most people... we all feel good when we find something we like whether it is food, clothes, home decor or whatever.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why do yall get so excited over new stores/restaurants?

Every other thread here goes along the lines of this... "YAY!! New HEB opening soon, let's go rush on the first day and get free stuff, are you all going?!! More food for us!! Let's all get stocked up on fatty foods!!"

People... we don't need anymore suburban store development. 1604 is draining. I remember how it used to be before all the new shopping centers and traffic.

& it seems like you all are cheering it on.

I guess my attitude has changed since I lived in Europe. They don't waste precious countryside like we do and they actively take a stand against unnecessary development.

I understand we need the stores in the growing areas but this is oversaturation!
For me I think it depends on what the store/restaurant is - is it something new and different, is it something that we only have one of and it's way across town? For example, I currently live in Universal City and the only Ulta right now is at The Rim. Am I happy that there will be an Ulta at the Quarry and at Northwoods in the future? You bet. (The one at Alamo Ranch isn't going to help me much.) A new Target or HEB? It depends - some Targets are better than others - carry more or different merchandise... If/when Ikea comes? Okay, that one I'm not sure about because I do not enjoy the one in Round Rock as much as others I have been to, so I'm wondering if one here would be similar. But would I rather drive to an Ikea here rather than one north of Austin? Unless I'm carpooling with 4 or 5 people and we're splitting the gas cost, then yes.

I believe many of us on the San Antonio forum have lived in Europe (I know some have lived there more than once) and of course others have visited it for short vacations or extended stays, so I think we can picture retail and restaurant development there compared to here. Of course, many of the towns and cities there are designed much differently than those in the U.S. and I don't think that can be "undone" or changed here. We lived in a small village in Germany and we could buy many of the things we needed there, but it was also sometimes easier/more convenient to drive to Aldi or someplace similar - and there were many more Germans there than Americans, so they were enjoying development as well (since there's certainly more than one of those stores in the area). As we all know, mass transportation is often more plentiful, practical, and economical in Europe as well, so it may not be as much of a concern if something new is being built near you because even if it is a bit of a distance, you can get there without spending as much money as we have to here. Also, a proliferation of chain stores or restaurants in a city or area is not an American-only trend. For example, the ubiquitous Pret a Manger in London (Do we consider the UK part of Europe? I've heard arguments for and against from friends from London, friends and family in Germany and France, people in the States... but either way, the point still stands). Do they really need way more than 40 Prets in London? (They have WAY more than 40, but I just popped on their website and stopped counting at 40.) Pret (can be) tasty, economical, and convenient. The number of existing Pret a Mangers seems to be an oversaturation, but I know some university students that were quite happy when a new one opened near them.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
I love new restaurants and shops in my neighborhood, as long as they aren't chains. I don't get very excited by another Outback...but we don't have those in our 'hood anyway. I'd be thrilled to have a new Thai, new Indian, new Persian restaurant here though!

Many places in Europe are looking more like the US....I love having small independent stores and pedestrian zones. However many cities have COOP, Sainsbury, ASDA, etc - stores that look no different than HEB, require driving too, are on the outskirts, etc.
It's a bummer

Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post

I believe many of us on the San Antonio forum have lived in Europe (I know some have lived there more than once) and of course others have visited it for short vacations or extended stays, so I think we can picture retail and restaurant development there compared to here. HUH? Of course, many of the towns and cities there are designed much differently than those in the U.S. and I don't think that can be "undone" or changed here. We lived in a small village in Germany and we could buy many of the things we needed there, but it was also sometimes easier/more convenient to drive to Aldi or someplace similar - and there were many more Germans there than Americans, so they were enjoying development as well (since there's certainly more than one of those stores in the area). As we all know, mass transportation is often more plentiful, practical, and economical in Europe as well, so it may not be as much of a concern if something new is being built near you because even if it is a bit of a distance, you can get there without spending as much money as we have to here. Also, a proliferation of chain stores or restaurants in a city or area is not an American-only trend. For example, the ubiquitous Pret a Manger in London (Do we consider the UK part of Europe? I've heard arguments for and against from friends from London, friends and family in Germany and France, people in the States... but either way, the point still stands). Do they really need way more than 40 Prets in London? (They have WAY more than 40, but I just popped on their website and stopped counting at 40.) Pret (can be) tasty, economical, and convenient. The number of existing Pret a Mangers seems to be an oversaturation, but I know some university students that were quite happy when a new one opened near them.
Where's the European forum??????????

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Says you. I for one am thankful that there are new stores going out where I live--with gas at $4 a gallon I'm glad I don't have to drive as far as I used to. You could look at it that way rather than choosing your negative spin.
Exactly. Sapphire, have you been to Alamo Ranch yet? I went to the new Ross, Target and Books A Million.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
I think that was the OP's point--how people get excited about boring chains. I think it's cultural. I don't think that people in other regions of the country would get as excited about what some of us consider to be the mundane.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I think some people need to go somewhere that's more cultured. bye

Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Exactly. Sapphire, have you been to Alamo Ranch yet? I went to the new Ross, Target and Books A Million.
Yes! I am so happy I don't have to go to the Bandera/1604 jungle anymore--except to catch a flick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I think that was the OP's point--how people get excited about boring chains. I think it's cultural. I don't think that people in other regions of the country would get as excited about what some of us consider to be the mundane.
We're not excited about the chains, per se--we're excited about the proximity of close shopping. But any opportunity you get to bash our "dullness" and "lack of culture"--feel free to go ahead and take it. It's not like we've come to expect anything different.

Does anyone stop to think how chains become chains anyway? Usually it's from people spending money there and GASP! their business grows! I guess one could change "people" to "lemmings" but not all of us care to/can afford to shop at independent boutiques, etc. Chains buy in bulk (the nerve!) and can sell things at an affordable price to working families. Even those with college degrees!

So yeah, hurry up and open up, Olive Garden! Loves me some sangria and breadsticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio