Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM

19 posts, read 79,913 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I graduated in May but due to this bad economy, I haven't found any jobs yet, so I was thinking about utilizing a temp/staffing agency. So, does anyone have any suggestions for which temp agencies worked (or didn't work) for you?

For example, appleone, todays, burnett, manpower, kelly, randstand, etc?

I'm looking for more office-type jobs right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:14 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,268 times
www.sanantonio.gov they have a job section

Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM

99 posts, read 394,300 times
I think you should go to several.

I used to work at a temp staffing agency. The key to success with them is to call every week. Keep your name at the top of their list. As days go by and more people come in, your name drops further down. But if you keep in contact, they'll remember you when a good match comes in.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I went to manpower, ranstad, and another I can't remember the name of and they all had one thing in common: they totally rip you off for pay. They are good for making some money while looking for a "real" job, but you definitely should keep looking even if they hire you on.
One other one tried to hire me on after I got my present job and they offered something like $25K/year for an Air Force contracting job. I flat out told them that was an insult and feel free to never call me again. They were probably taking at least 50% of the pay for themselves because they were a sub to Northrop Grumman.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I was right where you are now, sheisaeval, last year.

I went to appleone right before I got my job at West. I spent like three hours taking their tests and didn't get a single call.

As bad as West was, I'd take that anyday over a temp agency.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM

222 posts, read 706,540 times
Sheis, what's your degree?? If you don't mind my asking

Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
Paralegals Plus worked for me. Irma Golden is the best!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:31 PM

111 posts, read 714,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisaeval View Post
Hey everyone,

I graduated in May but due to this bad economy, I haven't found any jobs yet, so I was thinking about utilizing a temp/staffing agency. So, does anyone have any suggestions for which temp agencies worked (or didn't work) for you?

For example, appleone, todays, burnett, manpower, kelly, randstand, etc?

I'm looking for more office-type jobs right now.
Well, I always used Corestaff when I needed to hire a temp back when I was in HR/Payroll. If you are more in the accounting field, Decon Recruiting is good. Well at least my experiences' were good

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Definitely do not limit yourself to just one.

IMO, they all have sucky qualities. Quite a few of them are KNOWN for treating their "talent" like crap. Still, they are a necessary evil. Apply with all of them. Go do their little skills testing. Then keep in touch, at minimum weekly.

I have had some decent paying assignments though through them and it's been my experience that the jobs often pay more than the same exact position found via other avenues. My partner, for example, did a lot of work for Manpower for a few months, and they do mostly labor stuff... but the jobs always paid really well especially for some of the assignments she was given. One job, for example, she stuffed little gift boxes with chocolates for some seminar... for a week she put Hershey's kisses in a box and tied a ribbon on the box, sitting at an table in the A/C, and this was a $10 an hour assignment! Not bad considering. Of course on another she was spreading mulch in the hot sun for the same money...

Anyways, I got a raw deal with my last assignment and personally I wouldn't recommend that company (DM me) for being very professional. Yeah, I'd still go through them if the job was right but overall I don't seek them out anymore. I was on a long term temp assignment (as in indefinite) working at a huge law firm doing primarily mail clerk stuff, filing, and a bit of data entry. General office, basically. This firm used temps via my agency all over the country since the agency is also Nationwide, and the temps all over did the same job I was doing for the SA office.

Well, somewhere along the line the staffing agency and the corporate office for the law firm had contract negotiation issues. The staffing agency maintains that the law office was not paying their bills and hadn't for months (so why wouldn't the local office have known this beforehand?!), the law office says that the agency was trying to up the contract amount and it was an issue of not being able to agree, but regardless, the agency folks here in SA knew NOTHING about any of this and the only reason I got any notice that my job was ending was because the attorney I worked for heard what was up, from someone at corporate, and let me know. She also fought hard to keep me on and tried to hire me directly but it was not up to her in the end. ALL the temps nationwide got let go that week.

Bottom line, when I called my "rep" to let them know what was up they were clueless and although they promised to come out and talk to the big boss who was coming to town that week they never did, and I ended up laid off... I really think they should have had a better understanding of what was going on with a huge client like that. They could have at LEAST given me a heads-up or have been working on finding me something else. The fact that they had no idea speaks poorly overall of their staffing agency IMO. Instead, I got 3 days notice from the attorney I worked for (and I was lucky to get that!) and the staffing agency then tried to fight my UI claim saying I didn't let them know I was free and available for work (BS!)....!! They lost, because I had emails and read receipts from those emails but sheesh.

It was a mess and they could have cared less, really, about the whole thing and doing anything to prevent it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn that into a vent. I guess I'm trying to say, be careful and watch your back... I don't care how much the agency hints that you could be in the job for "years", always think of it as TEMP unless you are direct-hired.

Oh and finally, my ex is a techie and always had good luck through Aerotek but they also do routine office placement as well. One of my friends got on at USAA via Aerotek and had a good rep who always "took care of her". So they aren't all bad by any means.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,017 times
I dont know anything about staffing agencys. I wonder if they hire liberal arts majors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio