U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,067,252 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in the sixties my dad would take us to Medina Lake that way. Corner of Grissom and Bandera across from the school was a few stores before the gas station was built. A guy sold Dune buggies in one of the stores. The storage place on the left as you head toward Culebra was there even back then. On the corner where the school is now was a dairy farm with a barb wire fence. There was a baseball diamond on the opposite side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,768,086 times
My grandparents moved to The Great Northwest/Silver Creek back in the late '70s, so I remember that area well. Both Culebra and Grissom were two lane farm roads with not much along them. In 1982, there was a Lone Star ice house (I think that was the name) right where the library is now at Timberwilde and Grissom (back then, it was actually Timberwilde and Culebra; Culebra met Grissom at Timber Path). I think the shopping center and gas station at Grissom and Timber Path were there as well, and I remember them installing the traffic light at that intersection that year as well. Other than that, there was hardly anything else out that way that I remember, other than the volunteer fire station at Culebra and Old Grissom. When we came to visit again in 1985, we were shocked at all the new development along Culebra and also along Grissom in that area. We actually thought we were lost at first!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM

180 posts, read 800,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone know what Grissom Road was like around 1986? I have a vague memory of driving around that area at the time. I stopped at a gas station which was like the only thing around for miles it seemed like. The only other thing was the entry roads to a couple of neighborhoods maybe. (I was driving along Grissom recently and it was really built up with businesses and buildings.)

Does that sound like Grissom road at the time?

In 1978 my family and i were driving back from visiting someone or somewhere living in the country. I was approximately 10. As we drove down Grissom road coming back to town I saw a fireworks stand. (Which would mark outside city limits) When I got home I was flipping thru tv guide and saw an ad. Lo and behold it listed Grissom as its address. The next morning I went out to play as I did everday but today was with a plan. I jumped on my bike and began my journey. I hoped that my mom wouldnt notice but I knew I had till sundown to return.

I passed my grand mothers house and was soon on my way and out of my neighborhood. I passed Skaggs Albertsons and Bandera quickly became devoid of buildings and traffic. when I finally reached Grissom I turned left. Two country boys a bit older caught up with me and asked where I was going. They exclaimed that they were too. They rode with me a while. They had blond hair which was buzzed right down to their heads. White t shirts and ratty tennis shoes. After a while they said they were gonna go ahead. They rode off and left me to slower pace.

Fields and trees were on both sides of me with only a rare occasional car passing by. I could see the firework stand long long before I was anywhere near it. When I finally did pedal in over the rocks into the parking lot the two country boys were almost done. I went over my coupon from the tv guide and bought some specials but mostly I bought bottle rockets and roman candles.

As I boarded for my return trip I realized that my brown bag with antennaes sticking out might be cumbersome but was able to struggle with the take off until I was again at cruising altitude.

The sun was warm on face now but it wasnt hot or if it was I had on my heat resistance suit of youth such that it didnt bother me. The ride back seemed half the distance as the ride there as it often does. The world of fields and farm houses and country boys dissapeared as I reentered inner 410. I rode right in front of my grandmothers house not concerned that id be seen. I guess the feeling of being home in my own neighborhood made me invisible.

The cloak dissapeared as I rode up to my house. I made a bee line for the side of the house and stored my contraband in our storage room which only us kids accessed to retrieve the lawn mower or other such 'toys'. When the time was right the fireworks were stored in my drawers.

It was odd that my mother had no clue that I had made such a journey. A scary yet independent feeling resided in me.

To this day I still have some bottle rockets from my journey to Grissom road.

Driving Directions from [100-139] W Arrowhead Dr, San Antonio, TX to Grissom Rd & Timberhill, San Antonio, TX[100-139]+W+Arrowhead+Dr:San+Antonio:TX:78228:US:29.47775:-98.5781:street::1/l::+View+Dr+:::::29.477247:-98.581924:::2/l::+Evers+Rd+:::::29.481142:-98.587974:::2/l::Grissom+Rd+&+Timberhill:San+Antonio:TX:78238:US :29.48353:-98.62996:intersection::1/m:::::0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or