U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,245 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to San Antonio and are looking at places to live. We would like at least half an acre with good schools and not too far from San Antonio. Don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere. We went looking at it seems like houses are so close to each other. Inside 1604 everything seems older. OF course, traffic seems to be an issue. Price range is $300,000 to $400,000. Anybody have any suggestions? Getting frustrated with the housing search but San Antonio looks very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,976 times
What side of town are you working on and do you need to be close to work?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:29 PM

32 posts, read 104,533 times
Post Look outside the box ("loop")

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboysmom View Post
My family and I are moving to San Antonio and are looking at places to live. We would like at least half an acre with good schools and not too far from San Antonio. Don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere. We went looking at it seems like houses are so close to each other. Inside 1604 everything seems older. OF course, traffic seems to be an issue. Price range is $300,000 to $400,000. Anybody have any suggestions? Getting frustrated with the housing search but San Antonio looks very nice.
If you look outside of the so-called "in" places (those areas in the "out-lying areas" around San Antonio, especially to the east, southeast, south and southwest and avoiding the the I-10 W/Loop 1604/I-35 jack-ups), you get more bang for your buck -- both in house/cost/custom + acreage - anywhere from 1 to 100 acres -- your choice! Additionally, smaller ("bedroom") communities outside of the metro San Antonio area give you a better sense of community, involvement, etc.

Of course, if you're looking for the high-life, fast-action life-style, these areas wouldn't suit you at all.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:34 PM

55 posts, read 185,903 times
Default 1/2 acre lots

You may want to try Clementson Ranch located 5 miles north of 1604 off Blanco Road. This is a David Weekley Homes community and the lots are 1/2 acre to 1 full acre. The homes are beautiful too!!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 AM

24 posts, read 65,365 times
You could try looking about 4-5 miles outside of 1604 off Bandera Rd.: Shadow Canyon is selling 1 to 3 acre lots. The homes in this subdivision are absolutely beautiful. Technically you are in Helotes, but it's about an 8 minute drive back to 1604 and Bandera where you'll again be in San Antonio. This definitely isn't a cookie cutter neighborhood where all the homes look the same. Also, the subdivision Los Reyes is very nice. Helotes, TX is a great place to live. Here's a link Shadow Canyon - Experience the beauty of Helotes and the Texas Hill Country - ShadowCanyon.Info

Old 08-24-2008, 01:04 PM

121 posts, read 440,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboysmom View Post
Try homes in Hill Country Village, Hollywood Park or Shavano Park. You can get some good deals on older homes with good acerage in your price range.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,976 times
You're not touching anything in HCV for that. Shavano would be tough to for any type of home that didn't need to be completely overhauled. Hollywood Park might work.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Kev made a good point about where you are going to work. You mentioned traffic....and anything outside of 1604 will have that issue if you are working downtown.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM

82 posts, read 279,452 times
Default Timberwood Park

Timberwood is really nice. The neighbors are incredible, the rec area has a little lake, with a path around it. Bands perform in the park, and the neighbors had the backyard bbq tv crew. We have a juried art stroll, and boast many talented artists. Many homes are on the "pond" or "garden" tour.
The playground at the park is filled with happy families. The lots are at least 1/2 acre. It's north of 1604, off Blanco, south of Borgfeld, which also is a staging area for cyclists and softball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio