Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 27,156 times

Advertisements

May be moving to S.A. soon.

What is the cool part of town to be in if you are young and single?

Specifically, I'd be looking for an area of town where there are restaurants and nightlife places close by and lots of young singles in the area.

I have lived in the suburbs of Houston and dealt with being around nothing but young marrieds and old marrieds. If I do move to S.A., I'm hoping to be nearer to the single set.

How is the downtown, urban living? Is there a better part of town for what I'm looking for?

The more specific the suggestion, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Depends on how young you're talking about... I live near the university and there are a ton of younger single people there. Other parts of town that I've visited (outside of highway 1604) sound a lot like the part of Houston you're talking about.

I can't say much about the downtown area because I'll be going to the university every day and didn't want to spend too much time driving around.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Southtown - which is the area immediately south of downtown proper is a great place, so is near north/St Mary's strip area. All coming back to life.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 AM

483 posts, read 1,562,793 times
Yeah, Southtown/Blue Star area is what you're looking for.

Blue Star San Antonio - Google Maps

Downtown proper has seen significant new condo construction, but most of it outside of Houston St. is still a tourist trap, so if I were you I think I might want to avoid actually living there.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

I've heard someone suggest Stone Oak/north S.A.?

By younger singles, I'm meaning like post-college 22 to late 30s. Just want to find a part of town where those people live and play.

In Houston I'm a good 25 minutes away from all the nightlife, and most of the people who live in my part of town are married with kids.

Again, all the help is appreciated. I will look into Blue Star.

Any thoughts on Stone Oak? Other suggestions?

More on the St. Mary's area would also be good.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Southtown is where you want to be. Stone Oak is the poster child of the Suburban American Dream.
Also just north of downtown is going the younger single set. I think Southtown and King William area will suit you to a tee.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks, Shane.

As far as the area just north of downtown, is there a neighborhood name by which I might do any google searches for that area.

Also, are there condos or apartments in the St. Mary's area? Is that a rough part of town or inhabitable?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lonely Star View Post

More on the St. Mary's area would also be good.
I work in the St. Mary's area and imho, it's a little more older family oriented and not as hip. Southtown/Blue Star would probably be more of your style. I still haven't made the move out of the parents' house yet (I'm in my mid 20s) and am looking in the Manhacke (I know that's misspelled) Park area just south of Alamo Heights for when I do eventually move out because it's priced just a little more realistic for me.

Stone Oak is a nice area, not as urban. It's more suburban. Lots of good stuff out there. You'll probably make a drive out there for shopping at some point, but otherwise for what your looking for you should probably stay in the Southtown area.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM

What kind of commute would I be looking at from Southtown to Boerne?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM

83 posts, read 369,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lonely Star View Post
What kind of commute would I be looking at from Southtown to Boerne?
That'll be about at least a 45 min. drive. I live 7 miles south of Boerne and work downtown. Rush hour commute takes 30 minutes on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio