U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Fingaz View Post
I'm a native of Detroit but have also lived on the east coast. I came to San Antonio and am utterly disappointed by this city. In the midwest and east coast there are a slew of Texas stereotypes; that everyones a "cowboy hat wearin', tabacca chewin', horse ridin' hick" and that the state is still very much "country western"
From what I've seen of Dallas and Houston, they are ruled by the "good 'ol Texan boy" club. They are more country western than San Antonio. Much more white, southern mentality than SA! SA is democrat...Dallas and Houston is Republican. And we're the "conservative" city? We have flavor compared to Dallas and Houston. Yes, they are cosmopolitan...and I enjoy visiting them, but San Antonio is different! THANK GOD!

And, it is OKAY to be country western. It is AMERICAN! Be proud we are from a culture of STRONG people (my great great grandparents) who settled this area and tamed the land, which was hard as HELL! So WHAT if you see people wearing cowboy hats! It represents a great time in U.S. history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM

944 posts, read 2,801,973 times
Not surprisingly, I agree with everything that 5fingaz wrote.

For me, the culture shock began with my first impressions of neighborhoods inside of 410. I'd come from CA for a job interview. In my little rental car, I drove around Beacon Hill on the near north side, and some other places, and I simply gasped with culture chock (considering that the appearance of a place is an integral part of its culture). If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that a couple of levees had broken and the place had been under twelve feet of tidal surge for months. Locals don't see it in that light, but it's quite shocking to outsiders. I don't find rotting architecture to be charming. Sorry. It wasn't just Beacon Hill. It was Los Angeles Heights--all of the devastation along 1-10 inside loop 410. A lot of those areas could get federal disaster funding if somebody could convince G.W. to fly over it in Air Force One

That was my initial culture shock. Since then, it's been all of the stuff that 5fingaz has noted, and more.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM

394 posts, read 1,375,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
My bad! lol. Sorry about that!
No worries! Since a born and bred southerner I wanted to clear up any misconceptions!!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I also keep reading on here from people how "beautiful" San Antonio is, and this really perplexes me. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most visiters don't wonder much outside of the Riverwalk? Come to think of it, when people talk about how beautiful and great San Antonio is, most are talking from a limited perspective; the reality is that, outside of the Riverwalk, San Antonio is very unremarkarble, and IMHO borderline pitiful. Of course, this is only my opinion, coming from more advanced and culturally aware places.
The point of San Antonio losing it's "beauty" is the fact that it is GROWING. People are moving here in swarms..and neighborhoods are covering the area. A while back I asked why every creek is dried up in SA...it's because our million plus population is drying out the aquifer. Less water = less beauty. I think SA is trying to build more parks, though. That would be nice. I agree that the city could spend a little more on parks.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 AM

8,217 posts, read 27,065,178 times
Quote:
From what I've seen of Dallas and Houston, they are ruled by the "good 'ol Texan boy" club. They are more country western than San Antonio. Much more white, southern mentality than SA! SA is democrat...Dallas and Houston is Republican. And we're the "conservative" city? We have flavor compared to Dallas and Houston. Yes, they are cosmopolitan...and I enjoy visiting them, but San Antonio is different! THANK GOD!

And, it is OKAY to be country western. It is AMERICAN! Be proud we are from a culture of STRONG people (my great great grandparents) who settled this area and tamed the land, which was hard as HELL! So WHAT if you see people wearing cowboy hats! It represents a great time in U.S. history.

Houston:
A 40% documented Hispanic population is country/western? What northeast or east side exurban town have you been hanging around?

As far as flavor goes, SA has two: BBQ and Tex-Mex. Houston and Dallas have that + everything else you may not have ever tasted. Dallas could use a little help in the Tex-Mex department, though.

Finally, the only Democratic areas of TX for 2004 was Austin, the Golden Triangle, and the RGV (Hippys, union workers, and the dirt-poor):

http://www.whimsyspeaks.com/images/counties.jpg (broken link)

Houston is pretty 50/50, and we re-elected a Democrat mayor. (Non-partisan city politics, but it still counts for something.) The coastal areas have a streak of Libertarian... where Ron Paul represents. That's a more accurate way to describe the area IMO.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Houston:
A 40% documented Hispanic population is country/western? What northeast or east side exurban town have you been hanging around?
That's true for Houston...Hispanic culture is prevalent. From what I have seen of Houston is the good 'ol boy club. It seems more "southern" than "southwestern" to me.

Dallas, IMO, is very very southern white mentality.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Not surprisingly, I agree with everything that 5fingaz wrote.

For me, the culture shock began with my first impressions of neighborhoods inside of 410. I'd come from CA for a job interview. In my little rental car, I drove around Beacon Hill on the near north side, and some other places, and I simply gasped with culture chock (considering that the appearance of a place is an integral part of its culture). If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that a couple of levees had broken and the place had been under twelve feet of tidal surge for months. Locals don't see it in that light, but it's quite shocking to outsiders. I don't find rotting architecture to be charming. Sorry. It wasn't just Beacon Hill. It was Los Angeles Heights--all of the devastation along 1-10 inside loop 410. A lot of those areas could get federal disaster funding if somebody could convince G.W. to fly over it in Air Force One

That was my initial culture shock. Since then, it's been all of the stuff that 5fingaz has noted, and more.
Good grief...all large cities have struggling areas! We have pretty parts too!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM

8,217 posts, read 27,065,178 times
Quote:
That's true for Houston...Hispanic culture is prevalent. From what I have seen of Houston is the good 'ol boy club. It seems more "southern" than "southwestern" to me.

Dallas, IMO, is very very southern white mentality.

I can see that coming out of SA. Someone from Phoenix may not agree with you though.

And coming out of Houston, the Golden Triangle (where I work) is a lot, LOT more southern than Houston or DFW.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM

898 posts, read 2,553,574 times
I agree with 5fingaz. what 5fingaz wrote did make alot of sense. and to the newer residents that spoke about the Spurs, we love our Spurs cause its the only Pro team this "Big" city has. and we were close to losing the team a while back. can you imagine this city without any type of pro team?

Last edited by tony78201; 08-06-2008 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Quote:
I'm a native of Detroit but have also lived on the east coast. I came to San Antonio and am utterly disappointed by this city. In the midwest and east coast there are a slew of Texas stereotypes; that everyones a "cowboy hat wearin', tabacca chewin', horse ridin' hick" and that the state is still very much "country western"

Of course, much of these beliefs are tongue-in-cheek, but I find that south Texas, and San Antonio specifically subscribe to these stereotypes much more so than any other Texas city. To a northerner, Dallas, Houston, and Austin (in that order) are extremely cosmopolitan and progressive. San Antonio is not.

I also keep reading on here from people how "beautiful" San Antonio is, and this really perplexes me. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most visiters don't wonder much outside of the Riverwalk? Come to think of it, when people talk about how beautiful and great San Antonio is, most are talking from a limited perspective; the reality is that, outside of the Riverwalk, San Antonio is very unremarkarble, and IMHO borderline pitiful. Of course, this is only my opinion, coming from more advanced and culturally aware places.

Culturally, economically, and politically the city is very much conservative. However, I'd characterize most San Antonians as Reagan Democrats; meaning that while they certainly subscribe to socially conservative ideology, most do not vote Republican for self-serving capitalist reasons, but rather because they'd rather not see change. Most San Antonians strike me because they are very content in the here and now. There's little excitement about the future and attempts to improve city services (ie light rail, toll roads) have been met with resistance and stalwart attempts at maintaining the "status quo". I think San Antonio's motto should be "don't rock the boat, just go along with the flow".

In addition, there seems to be a trend of San Antonio establishments (I'm talking restaurants, various stores, dealerships) tend to be smaller, less impressive, and come much later than they do in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. There's also a noticeable lack of competition here (HEB anyone?). This may not matter to a lot of people, but for someone who believes competition is what keeps top notch service and skill, I am very unimpressed with San Antonio's overall business mentality.

Take Gunn Acura for instance (who along with other luxury marques runs a monopoly), has a television slogan which is "simply better". Simply better than what? It's not like there's another Acura dealership in this city which they directly compete with. Simply better than Kia dealership down I-10? This is just one example of many, but the reason why service IMO sucks here is because there's no need to try harder. There's no need to try harder because there's no risk of a competitor coming along with cheaper prices and better service to unseat you or threaten your profits. Consequently, one who's been exposed to south Texas "service" long term may have a distorted view of what great service really is.

Despite what the San Antonio "rah rah" crowd will tell you, San Antonio is on a serious economic decline. The city just lost it's most influential corporate presense, AT&T, and although some try to down play it's significance, it is a big deal. Before the company came in 1992, SA didn't have much business activity, but the corporation certainly helped put the city on the map. However, the city failed to maintain and foster business development, and as a result, has been unsuccessful in attracting major commerce. At the present time, and for the forseeable future, SA will be a hub of low-skill, cheap labor.

Example: SA is one of the few places of large population in the US where people think a "career" is a managerial position at a fast food joint.

While this kind of life outlook can be downright aggravating for some, for others, it can be a refreshing change. I find myself in the former group, however, and don't understand the so-called laid back lifestyle. Someone put it in perspective for me...San Antonio is just old school Texas. While Austin, Dallas, and Houston progressed, expanded, and absorbed outside influences, San Antonio remained rather "secular" and separated from everything else. That's why a lot of people who come from bigger metros consider it "lame", and uninspiring, because, what makes a city interesting is getting a multicultural perspective. And SA definitely is not multicultural.

Again that's just my opinion as someone who's lived here for nearly 4 years. Hope this helps!
Helps who? As a self proclaimed progressive and enlightened Detriot "native"....please tell us what you are doing to "help" this city be less "lame."
Four years of doing what here? Complaining, b--tching, pedantic yet arrogant analyzing of a place you chose to live? I won't bore the forum with a debate that would last "til the cows come home".....but cosmo and culture don't always mean the same. If you're an A-type personality, anally retentive, impatient and arrogant, then San Antonio is definitely not for you. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder......and a life style of a "big" city does not mean more of everything that's trendy and upscale. Sometimes less is more.....like less stress, less snobbery, less commuting time, less complaining and more proactivity toward solutions.

To be fair....I will say that SA could use some more efficient changes, but it takes people of all socio economic levels to roll up their sleeves together and solve the problems. Not just a few standing back looking down their noses and pointing fingaz and doing nothing.

Some people believe they are so lofty that lowering themselves to "help" is feasibly impossible.

Sorry to be so blunt.....but your post was no less distasteful.

And Hello......broaden your circle and your vision of the future. Beacon Hill and Los Angeles Heights are very old tired neighborhoods that are about to undergo a long term revitalization. To equate them with hurricane ravaged areas is simply cruel to the residents there. Every city experiences these cycles in neighborhoods. Generally it happens when the demographics in a neighborhood ages....elderly people are not able to take care of their property....or can't afford it.....younger families move it....people see investment opportunities....and it starts the cycle all over again. It will happen.....history dictates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio