U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I'll admit it... I give my GF a world of crap for being a Yankee (She's from Iowa)..

but it's said with love!
Ok, see? She's from Iowa. She may be "from up north"...but she isn't a Yankee (unless HER parents were born and raised on in Maine or New Hampshire or one of those other eensy states).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 PM

16 posts, read 58,446 times
We've been here two years and STILL can't get used to it! Wouldn't say we had culture shock though.

Moving from the Mid-west we were in for several things that stood out to us:
The weather, is one. Don't get me wrong, I do like the heat . . . but for a few months a year. Say 3 or 4. My body still can't get used to always being so hot.
We came from a city of about 750,000 people. There are SO many people here. It's crowded & noisy. Although, the people are still kind of laid back.
Finally, the driving. Please forgive me if I offend anyone. I have lived in the San Francisco area, driven in LA, Chicago and various other larger cities in the country and have never experienced such outrageous drivers. It seems at times that people wait for you to be right there before they turn out in front of you. Then there is the weaving in and out of traffic. Stepping on your brakes while driving, without a light in sight, is not exactly the way to keep your car moving. We see this ALOT! It's crazy. Then you throw in these access roads and forget it. Why not just have an exit for the streets? Why have these access roads from hell. You end up driving on them far more than your should because they lump so many streets together in one exit. Plus, during rush hour they don't move.
I am so glad we are moving back to the mid-west. But, I did enjoy the sunshine.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme snow View Post
I have lived in the San Francisco area, driven in LA, Chicago and various other larger cities in the country and have never experienced such outrageous drivers.
If you think driving in SA is much worse that driving in LA, I'll take some of whatever you were smoking in LA. Driving in LA is absolutely horrific! Driving in San Diego is no walk in the park, either! While some SA drivers may be a bit reckless, they're not reckless at TOP SPEED like they are here!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,695,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Agree w/you Wcat...and I've only lived here 4 1/2 months. I like it.....and I came from a really beautiful area that I liked too....I'm spreading the love...
I agree with both of my favorite ladies. I was born and raised in San Antonio, lived in Austin, Houston, San Fransisco, and St. Louis. Ain't no place like home. Got little to say about Michigan except my wife died there. So much for that.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
My fiance and I have had some... I'd repost horribly negative one but this thread would quickly derail and become a forum fire about what happened.

But other than that, everything is MUCH slower here. And conservative, but not really in the political sense but when it comes to change in general. Especially when it's change that's outside the established norm. Culture is much less diverse here, but I moved from somewhere with large asian populations along with European (mostly Russian), American, Canadian groups. None of that is so much of a shock to me though but a difference.

All of this is neither positive or negative, it just is what it is.

edit: kinda forgot one real culture shock that might get a little touchy. Here people are a lot, uh... bigger around for some reason. Kids and adults. But yeah it's something you notice right away.
That's just because we have better food here than where you came from.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme snow View Post
We've been here two years and STILL can't get used to it! Wouldn't say we had culture shock though.

Moving from the Mid-west we were in for several things that stood out to us:
The weather, is one. Don't get me wrong, I do like the heat . . . but for a few months a year. Say 3 or 4. My body still can't get used to always being so hot.
We came from a city of about 750,000 people. There are SO many people here. It's crowded & noisy. Although, the people are still kind of laid back.
Finally, the driving. Please forgive me if I offend anyone. I have lived in the San Francisco area, driven in LA, Chicago and various other larger cities in the country and have never experienced such outrageous drivers. It seems at times that people wait for you to be right there before they turn out in front of you. Then there is the weaving in and out of traffic. Stepping on your brakes while driving, without a light in sight, is not exactly the way to keep your car moving. We see this ALOT! It's crazy. Then you throw in these access roads and forget it. Why not just have an exit for the streets? Why have these access roads from hell. You end up driving on them far more than your should because they lump so many streets together in one exit. Plus, during rush hour they don't move.
I am so glad we are moving back to the mid-west. But, I did enjoy the sunshine.
At least you tried....and were nice about it. Even your traffic critique was civil. Good luck going back home!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I love it when you all get medieval !!....
ROFLMAO!!!! diversity is the key!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 AM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
ROFLMAO!!!! diversity is the key!!!
I will never leave my enchiladas and carne guisado tacos. Or Puffy tacos....

umm! spanish rice , borracho beans ........picante sauce.. chile relleno...oh and I do love hot tamales...................I'm hungry.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:35 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,982,959 times
Discuss topics not eachother. If you have helpful info please post up. This is not a "who gets to have the last word tit for tat" discussion or a chat forum. Keep the posts civil, We are here to help eachother not bash eachother.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 AM

154 posts, read 579,117 times
Default The good and the bad - adjustments

I've been here for a little over a year now, and tend to be of the same mindset as Chaka - every city has its good points and bad points, and a wise person finds the good and MAKES a life for themselves rather than waiting for goodness to be handed to them.

That said, there are things I like and dislike about SA, things I miss about my previous home in Charleston SC (Isle of Palms, actually), and things I don't miss.

SA is friendly, but having come here from a city consistently voted the most well-mannered, polite, friendly city in the country, it's not a shock to me that people smile or speak. :-) Still, it's nice. I would hate to live in a rude, brusque city.

I love the topography here, and the hills, and the rocks. I love the lack of FLEAS! Living one block off the beach on pure sand, fleas were a constant battle for the dogs, no matter how many yard sprays, pills, etc you used. I love that one can sit on the porch and not be completely eaten up with mosquitos, as well. We lived near a salt marsh before, and had visible CLOUDS of mosquitos. You could not even step outside to take out the garbage without immediately being swarmed. I don't miss that. I do miss my beach.

SA has great Tex-Mex food. Other than that, I am unimpressed with the dining options. Again, it's because Charleston has some of the best restaurants in the country. Even my tony friends from NYC and Chicago would rave about the "OMG, it's superb!" restaurants in downtown Charleston. The two places I've eaten here that I enjoyed the most were Liberty Bar (go figure) and the Grill at Leon Springs. Haven't tried Wildfish yet, as I hate being disappointed regarding seafood, having lived on the coast. Don't get me wrong, we've found plenty of perfectly acceptable places to eat, but other than Mexican, none of it has really wowed me. Suggestions are welcome, because maybe it's there but I haven't found it yet! :-)

I love the lack of humidity here. The heat is bad in the sun, but if you can get into some shade, you DO cool off. My oldest daughter just flew in yesterday around 2 pm from visiting family back in SC, and I was complaining that it was so hot. She looked at me aghast, and said, "Are you kidding?? In Charleston it's worse than this at 9 am!!!! You can't BREATHE there in August without GILLS!" Oh, yeah. I almost forgot what it's like for the air to be freaking SOLID WATER. Score one for San Antonio.

I like the options in shopping that a bigger city like SA has. If I can't find what I want at one store, there are tons of other places to look if I'm willing to drive. Suburban sprawl is not always pretty, but it can be damned convenient, I must admit.

I like the access/frontage roads here. Driving the Interstate in SC, if you miss an exit you are screwed, sometimes for 5 miles or more. I do hate the slow drivers here. It's the only place I've ever lived where folks will routinely drive 5 or 10 miles under the speed limit, which makes me bonkers. Then again, there are almost always alternate ways to get somewhere here in SA, whereas in Charleston the marshes and a gazillion bridges meant that if one route was blocked, you were stuck. There are only so many places you can put a road with winding rivers and marshes, so many areas had a single access. I can get where I'm going much easier in SA - the double loop is actually a pretty good system, granting that the growth here has stretched its limits and the expansions/improvements need to be done soon.

My sinuses and my migraines are MUCH improved here. I get horrible migraines often triggered by big barometric pressure shifts. Those are rare here - in Charleston, big shifts happened constantly, with different fronts coming through every few days. That's a huge relief for me about SA. Blinding puking headaches are no fun, and I have had maybe two in the year I've been here, as opposed to several a month.

I miss some aspects of the genuine Southern charm and deeply ingrained graciousness that Charleston has. It's hard to define, but you feel it, and it is like nothing else in the world. On the other hand, with that charm goes some not so pleasant remnants of southern culture that is very insular, somewhat racist (though improving), and can be piously hypocritical and obsessed with it's own history. SA is a very tolerant, accepting place. I like that. Yes, some racial/class tensions exist, but not anything like what I'm used to.

I miss my "walking city". Downtown Charleston is very compact (it's a small peninsula) and is gorgeous to walk. People LIVE downtown there, amidst all the tourists, so it's a different feel. I do like the riverwalk here, but am impatient for the city to encourage and provide for more downtown living, as I think it has great potential that is not being realized. SA lacks some of the more visible intellectual undercurrent present in many cities. On the other hand, it also retains some of the laid-back, not snobbish, "screw the rat race" attitude that often sadly disappears when you attain some of that "cultured and hip" appeal. Everything is a trade-off. Me, I prefer a little of both, and hope SA can find that balance.

I like the rivers here, I like the creekbeds, even dry. I think they are beautiful. I tubed the loop on the Guadalupe, and loved it! I love the big views from the hills. I love the gnarled mesquite trees. I love the deer wandering around so many neighborhoods.

The thing I see the most of in SA is potential. This place is already pretty good, but has the potential to be fabulous. I am looking forward to our years here, however long they may be, and believe that good changes will occur, as sleepy SA gradually incorporates what she wants/needs from other parts of the country, while retaining her own culture and history with pride.
I believe one can have a little of both. So regarding the constantly raging argument on here of "It's Nirvana!" "No, it's total crap!", I just smile and figure it's neither. It is what it is, and life is what you make of it, wherever you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio