U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:37 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,355,036 times

Advertisements

Time Warner Cable

Time Warner is taking advantage of AT&Ts corporate relocation to Dallas.

The best part is that Time Warner is based in New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,992,718 times
AT&T was our Judas. I not a big fan of TWC but at least they didn't lie to us

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM

265 posts, read 1,086,537 times
AT&T came around our neighborhood door to door this weekend asking us to switch, offering to get us out of our deal with TWC & $200 incentive. We were going to do it because it was $100 for cable, internet & phone (TWC charges that for just the first year)

Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 AM

490 posts, read 969,361 times
This perspective is so wrong!

Time Warner never had the presence here other than what they need to operate in this market. They are not doing san antonio "a favor" by keeping that here, it is needed to run their business.

AT&T has (and will still have) a huge presence here for nationwide corporate operations.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 AM

483 posts, read 1,424,749 times
I'm already a TWC customer, and though their company is a pain to work with, the service is good. I was thinking about switching to U-Verse at some point, but strangely enough, I've kinda lost my motivation to do that in the past month or so. . .

Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,718,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
This perspective is so wrong!

Time Warner never had the presence here other than what they need to operate in this market. They are not doing san antonio "a favor" by keeping that here, it is needed to run their business.

AT&T has (and will still have) a huge presence here for nationwide corporate operations.
Time Warner actually DID have a huge presence here when they were just in the CABLE biz after taking over Paragon Cable. They were the only game in town for a while as far as Cable TV. SBC had the Phone and DSL market. Then TW got competitive with SBC by adding DSL. Their advantage took over again when they offer their 3-1 package. Digital phone, DSL, TV Cable w/ HD

I agree that AT&T will still have a huge presence here, however, 3/4 of their workforce is not leaving SA. Plus AT&T now has U-verse....and does not require a contract. So they are now also offering a 3-1.

Time Warner is trying to compete now by offering HD and extra channels for a lower price....however, you are required to commit to a two year contract to get that lower price.

It's a game of cat and mouse between two companies now, neither with their HQ's in SA anymore. The C&M role playing changes daily!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
AT&T will still have a huge presence here, however, 3/4 of their workforce is not leaving SA.
I agree. These half-hearted boycotts and grumbling in other threads about the name of the AT&T Center might be a good way to get AT&T to move the rest of its workforce out of town. That would be throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,749 times
AT&T really is making themselves look pretty bad in all of this. There was an article today in the Dallas Morning News detailing SA's fight through economic hardship (what I'd describe as a "pity article"), and two articles in the Express-News, one about how Randall Stephenson has already relocated to Dallas, and another about the company selling some of their private jets to help pay for the relocation.

Those last two of course, beg these questions: A) If its not crucial for Stephenson to be SA in order for the company to keep running, why not just relocate him to Dallas and save the trouble of moving the rest of the company, since this whole thing was his idea? and B) If the company is so concerned about direct flights, why the heck are they selling their freakin' airplanes??

I'll post the articles if anyone wants to read them.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM

251 posts, read 633,211 times
This is why AT&T(Stephenson) left SA for little d.
From the Dallas Morning News.com (Dallas City Hall Blog | The Dallas Morning News)

AT&T primed for millions in Dallas City Hall subsidies

The Dallas City Council's Economic Development Committee today recommended a package of financial incentives for communications giant AT&T, as the company last month agreed to move its headquarters from San Antonio to Dallas.
Mayor Tom Leppert and City Manager Mary Suhm had previously promised AT&T city subsidies, but had not released precise figures.
The recommended subsidies include a $5 million direct grant to be paid over three years. It also calls for a 90 percent tax break, over a 10-year-period, on the company's business personal property and corporate aircraft located at Dallas Love Field.
The aircraft tax break is estimated at $6.3 million over 10 years, said J. Hammond Perot, Dallas' economic development assistant director. The total incentive package has an estimated value of $11.5 million city officials say.
AT&T must keep its headquarters in Dallas for five years or must reimburse the city's tax incentives on a pro rata basis, according to the preliminary terms of the incentive deal.
"We're pleased that the city is recognizing the economic value of AT&T bringing its corporate headquarters to Dallas," company spokesman Walt Sharp said.
Mr. Sharp added that he did not yet know how many AT&T corporate aircrafts would be located at Dallas Love Field or at other airports in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
AT&T does expect to transfer 700 positions to its high-rise campus in downtown Dallas as part of the headquarters move. It's something Dallas City Hall officials relish: An influx of downtown workers could prompt increased center city development and attract more residents to Dallas' urban core.
"Compared to what we've done for other businesses, it's as fair a deal as anyone we've done," said City Council member Ron Natinsky, the body's Economic Development Committee chairman.
Council member Mitchell Rasansky, a member of the economic development committee, did not participate in Monday's vote because of a conflict of interest - he owns AT&T stock.
But afterward, he expressed concern about the size of the proposed subsidy.
"It's a tremendous amount of money, and it's a shame I just could not scrutinize it more because of my conflict," Mr. Rasansky said.
The full council is scheduled to formally vote August 13 on the tax breaks, Mr. Perot said.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM

35 posts, read 43,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
AT&T really is making themselves look pretty bad in all of this. There was an article today in the Dallas Morning News detailing SA's fight through economic hardship (what I'd describe as a "pity article"), and two articles in the Express-News, one about how Randall Stephenson has already relocated to Dallas, and another about the company selling some of their private jets to help pay for the relocation.
I suspect you, along with many I've spoken with, are just angry at the fact that SA's lacksadasical attitude in regards to encouraging and cultivating business growth failed miserably.

AT&T moving to Dallas makes a ton of sense for a variety of reasons I don't have the time to analyze right now. And although I don't doubt that the CEO's personal preference had something to do with the relo, I also realize that Dallas is better suited for a large, international company like AT&T.

And I'd be interested in seeing those articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Those last two of course, beg these questions: A) If its not crucial for Stephenson to be SA in order for the company to keep running, why not just relocate him to Dallas and save the trouble of moving the rest of the company, since this whole thing was his idea? and B) If the company is so concerned about direct flights, why the heck are they selling their freakin' airplanes??
Answer:

A) You make an inaccurate assumption when you assert that because Stephenson currently isn't in San Antonio that that means that AT&T doesn't need him to operate. The reality is that AT&T corporate positions will be moved to Dallas by December, so we're talking 5 months of separation, which really isn't significant in the whole scheme of things.

B) Perhaps because in Dallas, which is already a major hub of national and international flights, they won't need them? It's true, it was considerably difficult to get direct flights of SATX airport to places like New York. You had to go through Dallas, or depending on where you were going, Houston. Now that the company is headquartered in Dallas, I suspect the need for a number of corporate jets has been greatly decreased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio