Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I talked to someone at the Conservation Society several years ago, and they said that the exact location of Avoca is not known. It was definitely near the headwaters of the SA river and on the back side of the cliff along Alamo Heights.
Crazy me.... this became an obsession with me and I had to track down everything I could find. No such luck. There were some remains of some stone structures that are on the Northside of the Olmos Dam and they were on a higher bit of elevation. (no...I did not see these in person...but read about them.) Keep in mind, the Olmos creek ran through there and joined up with the San Antonio River. Back in 1839, there would have been quite a bit of running water....perfect for a fresh water source for a small community.

Later on a trip to Austin, I visited the General Land Office and saw a HUGE map (I mentioned here somewhere before) that actually had Avoca indicated on the map. A community was shown by little squares in rows. I believe there were at least 6 to 8 squares...meaning this was not just somebody's farm...but multiple families forming a small township or community.

Here's the link to the actual map. The image is not available, but it lists what is on this map. I think copies are available, but in much reduced sizes. It's worth the trip to Austin to see these "original" maps in person. Most can be ordered. Often accompanying documents are also available. Awesome stuff!

Map/Document #: 1947
Subject: Republic Maps, Colony District Maps.
Title 1: Bexar District
Title 2: Surveys Made in Bexar County
Region: Bexar District
County: Bexar, Bandera, Comal, Frio, Guadalupe
Creation Date: 12/12/1839
Draftsman: H. L. Upshur
Surveyor: William Lindsay, Bexar County Surveyor
Size:
(in inches) 70.5 x 64.5
Format: manuscript
Scale Per Inch: 4000 varas
Named Features: Avoca, town
Collection: Colony and District
Comments: Texas flag at upper left corner; map covers parts of Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Frio, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, McMullen, Uvalde, Wilson, and Zavala Counties.
Conserved in 2001 with donation from Frost Bank.
Good info Cat, I found that Avoca reference while researching Brack. Park and Mahncke Park.

Just remembered , I met Koby Dietrich (sorry if misspelled) at his house on Cambridge Oval I think. Check out the history of the Argyle Club.

Last edited by SATX56; 08-09-2008 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,798,090 times
Met Reba when she opened the First Walmart in UC back in 1988, she sang in the front of the store, mens dept. That store is now closed. Have had the pleasure of David Robinson, George Gervin, Avery Johnson, and worked on Thomas Gibson's house when he had his electric wiring redone. Also met Carlos Mencia last year.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Met Reba when she opened the First Walmart in UC back in 1988, she sang in the front of the store, mens dept. That store is now closed. Have had the pleasure of David Robinson, George Gervin, Avery Johnson, and worked on Thomas Gibson's house when he had his electric wiring redone. Also met Carlos Mencia last year.
Our kids bought us tickets to Alabama at SBC a year or two ago. Unfortunately , Randy Owens wasn't well and Reba took their place. I like Reba but, Alabama would have been much more enjoyable to the wife & I.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 AM

504 posts, read 1,450,925 times
gervin and son used to come into the circuit city on san pedro every tuesday for new releases...both stoned out of their minds. when i was on commission, gervin family were my favorite customers to talk to and even had lunch with them a few times.

met avery, tim duncan, manu, and horry at a strip club through a friend of mine who is a producer for tony.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:13 PM

I saw George Gervin in Trucker's General Store (head shop) on Hildebrand back in the late 70's . Think he was buying a bong.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:20 PM

121 posts, read 486,632 times
Don't forget that Tommy Lee Jones lives over in Terrel Hills!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerian View Post
Don't forget that Tommy Lee Jones lives over in Terrel Hills!
Knew he was here. Figured he lived in the Dominion. Is the 3 story house at 300 Garrity still there? I used to know the owners.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM

141 posts, read 506,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I recently read that Peter Weller (Robo Cop and several other movies from the 80's) went to Alamo Heights.

Here is another little known SA fact. Bette Nesmith the inventor of "white-out" or Liquid Paper is from SA. And her son is none other than Mike Nesmith of the Monkees. There is a street named Mike Nesmith off of Evers.
i think this has been brought up a few times on this board, but i thought i'd relate this little tidbit...not really my own close encounter with a celebrity... but when i was in middle school at Eisenhower M.S., my reading teacher (yes we had a class called "reading" where we...wait for it...read books all year ) said that she had gone to school with Peter Weller of ROBOCOP fame and was still in contact with him as they were friends back in the day. and of course she said that she went to Alamo Heights and that he had just been in town for the reunion, and they had lunch the previous weekend. man, her cool points went up a few ticks in our books that day.
as for my sightings, most of them happened outside of SA...oh wait, my mom and i spied Eva Longoria before adding the Parker, buying tickets at the Embassy Theaters back when the first SISTERHOOD OF THE RIPPED JEANS or whatever that movie's called...and it just so happened that my mom was going to see that one too. she said as they waited in line for concessions my mom asked if she had "ever been told that she looked like Eva Longoria?" and that's when Ms. Longoria lowered her glasses and said, "yeah". it seems as if she was with her family, a few kids and an older woman, so i didn't bother her either.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
i think this has been brought up a few times on this board, but i thought i'd relate this little tidbit...not really my own close encounter with a celebrity... but when i was in middle school at Eisenhower M.S., my reading teacher (yes we had a class called "reading" where we...wait for it...read books all year ) said that she had gone to school with Peter Weller of ROBOCOP fame and was still in contact with him as they were friends back in the day. and of course she said that she went to Alamo Heights and that he had just been in town for the reunion, and they had lunch the previous weekend. man, her cool points went up a few ticks in our books that day.
as for my sightings, most of them happened outside of SA...oh wait, my mom and i spied Eva Longoria before adding the Parker, buying tickets at the Embassy Theaters back when the first SISTERHOOD OF THE RIPPED JEANS or whatever that movie's called...and it just so happened that my mom was going to see that one too. she said as they waited in line for concessions my mom asked if she had "ever been told that she looked like Eva Longoria?" and that's when Ms. Longoria lowered her glasses and said, "yeah". it seems as if she was with her family, a few kids and an older woman, so i didn't bother her either.
Very interesting!!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 PM

504 posts, read 1,450,925 times
my friend works for the spurs organization. he/we have some stories about eva and the other wives/gf's of players. lets just say she is trashy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio