U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,344,602 times

Advertisements

Our dog was attacked by a cat this morning while trying to protect my son from getting hurt by it. There was blood everywhere and I had to rush him to the vet. $210 later, he is home and has a bandage on his ear and a dish thing around his neck. This cat is still in our backyard and when I looked out I noticed she has 2-3 kittens with her too! I called animal control and they made me leave a message for the dept. of bites or something like that. They said they were going to call me back. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long for them to get this cat out of our yard? I can't have my 4 yr old son or my dog go out there until this cat is gone. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 5,371 times
ACS doesn't pick up spray cats anymore.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM

114,172 posts, read 54,243,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Our dog was attacked by a cat this morning while trying to protect my son from getting hurt by it. There was blood everywhere and I had to rush him to the vet. $210 later, he is home and has a bandage on his ear and a dish thing around his neck. This cat is still in our backyard and when I looked out I noticed she has 2-3 kittens with her too! I called animal control and they made me leave a message for the dept. of bites or something like that. They said they were going to call me back. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long for them to get this cat out of our yard? I can't have my 4 yr old son or my dog go out there until this cat is gone. Any advice?
I feel for you, your dog, and the cats. I've dealt with this problem a couple times in the last 2 years. Momma cat's just being protective of her babies just as the dog is of your son. If the momma cat won't keep the kittens out of reach you gotta problem. We've had a couple neighborhood cats have litters in our backyard. We had a huge lab back there for a while which the cats avoided. I've always fed these strays much as I hate to. We have cats of our own to feed. Hate to see animal control called for anything short of a rabid animal. But, if your unable to move the little family under a shed or such I dunno. Wow, btw Veterinarians now days! The Pediatrician is usually less expensive!!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,179,485 times
Yep, a 12-gauge...

Cheers! M2

Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,747,496 times
OH man......ain't no one happy when mama ain't happy! I have seen my own cat defend her kittens, and it's like they are possessed! I'm not sure who you can get to pick them up. You might try the Animal Defense League...they are a no kill shelter. Otherwise.....you may have to wait a bit until the kittens are a little older. Mama's are especially defensive when they are tiny.

I'm so sorry your dog was hurt and so was your wallet. At least your son wasn't ! God bless your little canine for protecting him.

Good luck with it all!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

114,172 posts, read 54,243,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
OH man......ain't no one happy when mama ain't happy! I have seen my own cat defend her kittens, and it's like they are possessed! I'm not sure who you can get to pick them up. You might try the Animal Defense League...they are a no kill shelter. Otherwise.....you may have to wait a bit until the kittens are a little older. Mama's are especially defensive when they are tiny.

I'm so sorry your dog was hurt and so was your wallet. At least your son wasn't ! God bless your little canine for protecting him.

Good luck with it all!
Hi Cat, My experience with the ADL is not encouraging. They do have to be a certain age or actually it's weight. They have to be at least 2 lbs and healthy. They will give you an appointment time. Then you get to drive way the h**l out Perrin Bietel (long trip from the southside) To see if they will accept your little offerings. Believe me if it's got a runny eye or nose their not taken it. Long trip back home and not too happy!!

Same here and dogs are great at being protective.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,018,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yep, a 12-gauge...

Cheers! M2

I got the cops called on because I shot some cats with a bb gun. I belive they made a huge deal, that even WOA sent out flyers mentioning my actions lol

Old 08-11-2008, 04:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
An8imal cruelty. Your not allowed to shot strays.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I got the cops called on because I shot some cats with a bb gun. I belive they made a huge deal, that even WOA sent out flyers mentioning my actions lol
Good for them! My PET was shot by some kid with a BB gun in our own yard. It hit her in the rear leg and fractured the bone. She had to have a cast on her leg and drug it around like a ball and chain for two months. Once it came off she never did walk normally.

I think hunting is fine, but I don't think joking around with bb guns, let alone shot guns to put down strays is even funny.....not to mention the legality of it.
That stray may be someone's pet.....like mine was. Idiots!!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Hi Cat, My experience with the ADL is not encouraging. They do have to be a certain age or actually it's weight. They have to be at least 2 lbs and healthy. They will give you an appointment time. Then you get to drive way the h**l out Perrin Bietel (long trip from the southside) To see if they will accept your little offerings. Believe me if it's got a runny eye or nose their not taken it. Long trip back home and not too happy!!

Same here and dogs are great at being protective.
I'm sorry to hear that about the ADL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio