Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM

15 posts, read 26,372 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im curious to know if there is more english speaking hispanic families or spanish speaking hispanic families on san antonios west side, because according to the census, zip codes 78207 and 78237 are predomiantely hispanic (98) percent but the foreign born is 15 to 19 percent while the native born are 74 to 80 percent of the population of these zip codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,049,244 times
Take a drive over there and check it out for yourself.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,441,062 times
Most probably speak both languages.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,882,779 times
Hispanic descent and speaking Spanish are two different things. Depending on what you consider the "west side," I would contend while there are a good number of Spanish-speaking households, the majority still use English as a primary language in the home.

I would say that number of households where Spanish is the primary language would be greater on the southside of SA.

The bigger question is, why does this matter?!?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM

216 posts, read 395,597 times
I used to referee sports and appeared to me the students in the Harlandale and Edgewood school districts (South and Southwest) spoke less Spanish than those of the SAISD schools, don't know why just the way it seemed to be.
I'm wondering also what is the reason of your inquiry?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,946,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Hispanic descent and speaking Spanish are two different things. Depending on what you consider the "west side," I would contend while there are a good number of Spanish-speaking households, the majority still use English as a primary language in the home.

I would say that number of households where Spanish is the primary language would be greater on the southside of SA.
Media folks on another forum I visit refer to "Spanish-dominant" and "English-dominant" households. I guess the OP is looking for the former.

The sales departments at any of the Spanish-language radio or TV stations probably have some of the best data in town on which households are where. If the OP has a business that just might be interested in buying some ads on their station, I am sure it would be super easy to get one of them to share it.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,720,562 times
I live on the far west side. We get a lot of our junk mail in Spanish. When my kids still went to the school out here, there were usually five English-speaking classes and two Spanish-speaking classes for each grade level. That might give some idea of how many households primarily speak Spanish.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
I was raised in the west side and have a majority of my relatives there. I currently live in the far west (Potranco-outside loop 1604). In the west side a majority talk both but you will probably hear more spanish than english. My roots come from the Las Palmas area/Castroville & Gen. Mcmullen. A great majority are hispanic. You will not see too many Anglo or African American in that area. Although, from the border of the Edgewood district going towards Jay H.S. you will see a mix or hispanic/african american pop up going towards Marbach. Where I currently reside its a good mix of all. Plus you have to factor in that there are many military families out in the far west. So that plays a big factor but English is no doubt the primary in the far west. Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM

69 posts, read 98,813 times
I was raised on the Westside myself residing in the projects. You can't get anymore Westside than this or as I liked to call it the Wild Wild Westside. You can't judge a person just on demographics alone sometimes income paints a cruel stereotypical image. I still currently work in the 78207 area at Our Lady of the Lake University so If your basing your research on census alone than you are no more intellectual than the people you are scrutinizing. Come over to this side of town If you dare and find out for yourself why go off of statisics alone. What is the reason for yor curiosity? I was born in Colorado and my ancestors were born in Texas when it was part of Mexico so what exactly do you mean by foreign born.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM

138 posts, read 327,054 times
I would imagine that both languages are utilized with an area being homogeneously Hispanic. Most Hispanics are bilingual, though there is a good sized portion of Hispanics who are monolingual Spanish speakers. Some Hispanics prefer to speak Spanish, some prefer English. You say the area has roughly 15% of the population foreign born. That, to me, would indicate that Spanish is predominant. If the adds and store names around the area are targeted at Spanish speakers, then that right there is a dead giveaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio