Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,299 times

Advertisements

I found a Black Widow on my Deck hear in Bexar County. We live near 1604 and 90 are they common in San Antonio and have many found them in your home I am concern because of my kids. Could anyone tell me what we can do about the spiders, Ants and Spiders we will try to get someone to spray for them when we are financially able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I think we have Black widows around. I'd be more concerned about the Brown Recluse which your more likely to run into. Not that i would be overly concerned about either. My son was bitten a few years back. We're figuring it was a brown recluse. Don't recall much about it but it affected maybe a Quarter sized chunk on his leg.

P.S. I'd be more concerned about scorpians than spiders. But, that's just me. I hate those things.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,299 times
Default Questions

I also seen a scorpian in the kitchen when we first moved in where do you look for them for and what do you treat the house with to advoid these critters such as ants, spiders and scopians.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
I also seen a scorpian in the kitchen when we first moved in where do you look for them for and what do you treat the house with to advoid these critters such as ants, spiders and scopians.
Well if your close to hill country you can bet on all three of those insects. Not a big deal just shake out any clothing left laying around. Especially outside, gloves and other items scorpians like to hide in. Check with a local nursery as to what insecticide you might use. Outside under rocks anything laying on the ground especially. Keep your eyes open. Chances aren't that great that you'll run into the spiders mentioned. Check your bedding. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
I found a Black Widow on my Deck hear in Bexar County. We live near 1604 and 90 are they common in San Antonio and have many found them in your home I am concern because of my kids. Could anyone tell me what we can do about the spiders, Ants and Spiders we will try to get someone to spray for them when we are financially able to.
You can buy the spray and sprayer from Lowes and do it yourself for pretty cheap. A $20 bottle of concentrated bug spray and a borrowed sprayer was all it took to get rid of the spiders and bugs that moved in while the house I bought was vacant.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,669 times
I've had Black Widows and Scorpions. Scorpions went away after time and after they build out the homes in the area. The Black Widows, I may see one every 1 year to 18 months. I think the best thing to do about spiders is to try and treat your lawn and home for all insects, which in turn, kills off their food supply.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I found that black widow in my back yard. It was female and huge. I caught it and put it in a jar to show my co workers. Then disposed of it the best way I could, with the bottom of my shoe!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
This doesn't help with your question, but here is an identification site that somebody on here posted a while back:
Spider Identification Chart - Venomous or Dangerous?

BTW, I live in the country and don't have a problem with poisonous spiders. Those scorpions on the other hand.......... those are what I would be looking for if I were you.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
This doesn't help with your question, but here is an identification site that somebody on here posted a while back:
Spider Identification Chart - Venomous or Dangerous?

BTW, I live in the country and don't have a problem with poisonous spiders. Those scorpions on the other hand.......... those are what I would be looking for if I were you.

Scorpion stings give you a good numb feeling. Spider bites can rot your flesh.

The Amber and Texas scorpion (more common here In South West TX) arent that dangerous. remember the smaller the scorpion the stronger the venom, the bigger the scorpion the more painfull the sting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio