U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 AM

94 posts, read 353,280 times
Default Eh Braddah!

Mahalo nui loa Brah!
I'm living in some of the earth’s most beautiful scenery, but it's tough no doubt. I feel blessed to have a home here and sincerely thankful to have had 6 years in paradise, I really am. Taxes are a big issue at the moment. They are raising taxes on everything and anything. Then, they turn around and spend our hard earned money on projects that make no sense. It's extremely aggravating. Maybe in 10-15 years or so we can come back and retire, but who knows. We've talked about retiring in Mexico also. Anyway I'm really looking forward to our San Antonio move. My hubby is in the process of negotiating his transfer to the SA branch, same company he works for now. I am probably going to play homemaker for a little bit until I get our new home settled and organized. I can't stay home for long, it's too boring. Hopefully I can land a decent job near home by fall.

I'm so happy to hear that you are happy with your move. This only encourages me and brings more positive thoughts about leaving the island. The best thing about it all is that coming back for visits is always just a plane ride away. Thank you San Antonio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 AM

159 posts, read 416,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Corri View Post
Thank you very much Ferarri!
Your post is very helpful. I even made my hubby come read it, ha

I definitely taking your advice on the A/C settings. I want to save save save, hopefully

I can't wait, really. We were thinking June this year, but I want to speed it up a bit, more like April or May. I just have a really good feeling about this move. I can't wait!!
Corri,
Your welcome! I also rented my two homes in Ewa Beach (bought in Jul 2001) and Kapolei (bought in Nov 1995) until I finally decided that I am not going back to Hawaii anytime soon so I sold both in June 2006 to avoid capital gains tax on one property. The other one I did a 1031 exchange to defer taxes, and I was able to buy two for the price of one in SA! I had a great property manager, and I can PM you his contact info if you want. I too had a positive cash flow that paid my mortgage in Vegas. Sold the Vegas property as well and now just focusing on three properties in SA. I know I can always visit my bruddah in Makakilo Heights or my best friend in the Ewa Beach Marina for vacation, but hasn't gone back since moving out in June 2004 since I bought four season passes for Six Flags for my family.

BTW, I toyed with the idea of opening the first L & L in SA, and I requested the packet, but I am still waiting for the Dallas and Houston areas to open so I can gather more info.

Last edited by HI2VegasNowSA; 02-23-2007 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 AM

8,283 posts, read 10,074,135 times
If you do not care for humidity, then you might check out AZ. We live currently, in a community called Vistancia and it is in N. Peoria AZ. It has been voted the number one community in all of AZ and we can agree with that. The ammenities here are fantastic. The air is dry and we do love it during the winter. It gets hot, but no sweaty sticky clothes, just darn hot. The reason we will be looking at TX for retirement is the cost of land. We can not find a reasonably priced lot here to build our home on. There are also some other up and coming communities on the west valley, Buckeye, very affordable, Surprise, also very affordable. Google www.vistancia.com And good luck in your search.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM

94 posts, read 353,280 times
Smile What made us chose SA

Thanks for the suggestions Jill I've been living in a humid tropical climate for a while now and I think I'll be ok. AZ is not for me, but its nice to visit. Here's something I posted in another thread that might be helpful to some.

Why we chose SA:

Cost of living is decent.

The mean temperatures, as recorded by weather.com, range from 49 in January, to 69 in April, 85 in July and August, and 60 in November. With over 300 sunny days per year, the average temperature is 70 degrees and temperatures are only below freezing about 20 days a year.

Also, San Antonio is a city of diverse culture, which I love and can appreciate.

Water lovers like yourself have several large lakes nearby where you can enjoy skiing, boating, swimming, picnics, etc. As for the beach, SA only 150 miles to the coast of Corpus Christi and about 250 miles from Galveston Island.

I've read a lot about how San Antonio loves to celebrate its diversity. Annual events include a 10-day celebration called Fiesta, which I believe has been an annual party for over 100 years. It is a multi-cultural, family-oriented, citywide celebration, and includes other events such as Night in Old San Antonio, the Oyster Bake, the Battle of Flowers Parade, and more. Another famous annual event is the Texas Folk life Festival, which lasts four days each year and celebrates over 40 different cultures with food, music, drink and DANCING.

Plus, over all I must say, the residents of San Antonio have been some of the friendliest and most helpful people, I've ever communicated with. Thank you San Antonio!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,216,119 times
there is going to be an L&L opening up in San Antonio??????????
woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
Corri,
Your welcome! I also rented my two homes in Ewa Beach (bought in Jul 2001) and Kapolei (bought in Nov 1995) until I finally decided that I am not going back to Hawaii anytime soon so I sold both in June 2006 to avoid capital gains tax on one property. The other one I did a 1031 exchange to defer taxes, and I was able to buy two for the price of one in SA! I had a great property manager, and I can PM you his contact info if you want. I too had a positive cash flow that paid my mortgage in Vegas. Sold the Vegas property as well and now just focusing on three properties in SA. I know I can always visit my bruddah in Makakilo Heights or my best friend in the Ewa Beach Marina for vacation, but hasn't gone back since moving out in June 2004 since I bought four season passes for Six Flags for my family.

BTW, I toyed with the idea of opening the first L & L in SA, and I requested the packet, but I am still waiting for the Dallas and Houston areas to open so I can gather more info.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,951,242 times
I moved here from Florida humidity was far worse than here, before that I lived in England so to me the weather here is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio