Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:37 AM

797 posts, read 2,983,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You can cut your electric bill even more by turning up the thermostat to 76-78 and using ceiling fans. I have 6 in my two-story house and they definitely make you feel cooler. Last summer my highest electric bill was $156.

BTW, City Public Service adds a "Peak Capacity Charge" during the summer to handle the increased electricity demand. It is 1 1/2 cents per kWh used.
We relocated to SA in April 2006 as an alternative to Hawaii, that would be a dream come true some day, but the cost of living there will keep us from it probably forever. Coming from Seattle we too were worried about the heat and how we would manage, surprisingly it was not that bad. Too adjust we used the A/C less (kept our windows down in the car when we could stand it, and never put the thermstat below 80, my Jul/Aug bill was only $100!) There is actually a pretty nice breeze most of the time and especially in the evenings my husband and I enjoyed sitting outside. By far the best thing about SA for me is the weather, the rest is still growing on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,620,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
We relocated to SA in April 2006 as an alternative to Hawaii, that would be a dream come true some day, but the cost of living there will keep us from it probably forever...
I lived in Hawaii (Oahu) for 4 1/2 years and unless you're into going to the beach all the time, it is a small area and I spent a total of 13 years on Pacific Islands. I like Texas because it is BIG. It would be nice to vacation in Hawaii once in awhile though.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I lived in Hawaii (Oahu) for 4 1/2 years and unless you're into going to the beach all the time, it is a small area and I spent a total of 13 years on Pacific Islands. I like Texas because it is BIG. It would be nice to vacation in Hawaii once in awhile though.
Living on the beach everyday would be a dream for me!!! To each is own

Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 PM

94 posts, read 652,029 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! I must say, I am more impressed with the people everytime I come on this forum . Such a friendly and helpful bunch. This was another thing that attracted us to chosing SA. Out of all the different city forums this one is definitely my favorite.

Big hug!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:05 PM

251 posts, read 1,062,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Corri View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone! I must say, I am more impressed with the people everytime I come on this forum . Such a friendly and helpful bunch. This was another thing that attracted us to chosing SA. Out of all the different city forums this one is definitely my favorite.

Big hug!
It's funny you said this. I'm in Florida and have been visiting the Florida forums. Everyone is so down about Florida, the taxes, insurance, low paying jobs, etc. I came here cause about two years ago we drove through SA at night and stayed in a hotel there. The people that we met in the short time we were there were so friendly.

We stopped at one hotel, only to find out that the Alamo Bowl was going on and there were no hotel rooms basically anywhere in SA. The clerk behind the desk spent about 20 minutes calling not only the hotels in his "chain", but called his competitors and found us a room. It's not like we had reservations. We were just a nice young couple driving cross country and he helped us out. Awesome. We were both very impressed.

When things in California didn't work out, SA was one of three places we were thinking about moving to. Sometimes I wish we would have made it choice number one, but we chose to come back to Florida to be closer to family. I digress....

Not only is this forum filled with great people, but it seems so are the people in the city itself.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
We relocated to SA in April 2006 as an alternative to Hawaii, that would be a dream come true some day, but the cost of living there will keep us from it probably forever. Coming from Seattle we too were worried about the heat and how we would manage, surprisingly it was not that bad. Too adjust we used the A/C less (kept our windows down in the car when we could stand it, and never put the thermstat below 80, my Jul/Aug bill was only $100!) There is actually a pretty nice breeze most of the time and especially in the evenings my husband and I enjoyed sitting outside. By far the best thing about SA for me is the weather, the rest is still growing on me.
We live 500 feet from the beach, and we have partial ocean views. It might not be out of your reach, because we did it. You can live in a decent Makaha city apartment of condo for $1200 monthly rent. That's about as cheap as it gets. This area is considered the country and it has amazing beaches. Some people consider Makaha the ghetto but compared to big city ghettos its nothing. You will see lots of homeless living in the parks and many run down homes in the country though. The cost of food and utilities are high all over the island, and lots of people have to work two jobs. It isn't cheap living in paradise, but if you really want it go for it, we did.

I had no idea whether our move to Hawaii six years ago would work out or end in disaster. We sold everything we owned in So California and arrived with our clothing, and 5700 in cash, that's all we had. Today we own a lovely island beach home, and we're ready for a new adventure. We'll be renting our home here for $200 more than the mortgage payment (we purchased right before real estate went nuts), and move to SA where we can save some money and living comfortably without stress. Maybe we'll come back when we're ready to retire, who know what the future holds. If you really want something for yourself, you have to try for it.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Let me say Welcome to Texas. Yes you must move here. Just look at all the nice people that are here to help you. I must say San Antonio has ideal conditions for you. As 210 pointed out cheap gas, milk and electric bill.

Keeping that A/C on all day at 72 degrees though the hottest months of July and August, will produce a bill in the 200-400 range of course depending on house size and how hot it gets in the summer, or how cold u like it. Dallas is hotter than San Antonio. My brother lives there and its dry, no breeze. San Antonio's humidity is not bad, say like Houston's. Austin is a nice city, however if u dont like traffic, watch out. They dont have an elaborate freeway system to support its metro size. Alot of roadway constuction and takes an average of 35-45 min commute during evening rush hour. I know cause ive lived there.

If the "ghetto" is $1400 - $2000 in Hawaii its top class here! You can find nice size apartments or even houses, if thats your calling, in that price range all over the Norhteast to the Northwest. If your husband drives trucks the northeast has alot of the warehouses ie: H-E-B....they practically own about 6 or 7 warehouse on the Northeast side. In the same vacenity you have Labott, Sysco, Rail Unlimited(new car hauling). Walmart Super Warehouse is in New Brunsfels.. a short 30 min drive up I-35.

And if u need to travel TeXaS has over 210 thousand sq. miles. A short 2.5 hour drive down I-37 will take u to the Gulf of Mexico. Ok its no Pacific but its koo. Or if ur game you can go the whole 6.5 hours to South Padre. Austin if 45 mins to 1hr north on I-35...Dallas is 4-4.5 hr on I-35 north....Houston 3 hr east on I-10...just dont to west...El Paso..a stagering 510 Miles From 410 west(San Antonio 's main loop on the west side). So you do the math on that one.

Once again Welcome to TexaS. And remember Everything is Bigger in TeXaS !

Thank you very much Ferarri!
Your post is very helpful. I even made my hubby come read it, ha

I definitely taking your advice on the A/C settings. I want to save save save, hopefully

I can't wait, really. We were thinking June this year, but I want to speed it up a bit, more like April or May. I just have a really good feeling about this move. I can't wait!!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:12 PM

251 posts, read 1,062,330 times
Quote:
Today we own a lovely island beach home
I think we all just found someone to rent a house from when we need to go on vacation. LOL

Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
If you really want something for yourself, you have to try for it.
Thanks for the encourgment, it will keep the dream alive for now. We have 4 kids and limited income, we try to live debt free and based on the costs involved it will have to remain a dream for now. Perhaps we will retire there, depending on cost of living 30 years from now.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 PM

162 posts, read 597,542 times
I lived in Hawaii since hana butta days, and I loved it growing up there. However, the cost of living, education, and the quality of life were the reasons for relocating my family to San Antonio, TX.

The last time I checked, median price for single family homes were $500k, and it's probably 1600 sq ft and built in the 1960s. The hawaii pidging education system is rated poorly nationwide. I paid the extra $1000/month for both my boys to attend private school. I grew up during the Andy Bumatai "pidgin to da max", and I struggled my way through college, but I completed my bachelors degree. My formers teachers taught in pidgin; therefore, it was the norm. The qualify of life is that I can buy a good home in a good school district http://www.neisd.net, and my wife and I doesn't have to work two jobs. By the way, the traffic in SA is manini compare to HI/H2 during peak time. I attended Honowai Elementary, Waipahu Middle and High, Leeward and West Oahu University.

I heard the Mass transit is alive again. If you didn't know, Rene Mansho, former inmate, turned-it down several years ago, and city of Honolulu loss the $600 million fed money.

If you need any assistance, please ask.

Mahalo,
Bruddah Cliff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio