U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:57 PM

94 posts, read 553,310 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone,
I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Corri. I currently live on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu, the Leeward side to be exact. My husband and I are considering relocating to San Antonio. My main concern is that I've heard people say the summers are extremely brutal. What's the real deal on that? We always have humidity on the island, and I had a hard time adjusting coming from California, but I can handle it. Is SA really worse? My husband is a truck driver and I'm a bookkeeper. Hopefully we can settle in without any trouble? We're both 32 (high school sweethearts), born and raised in southern California, no kids. We've lived in Hawaii for 6 years now, and we're looking to rent our first home here, and make a big change. Why you may ask. Living expenses are through the roof and getting worse at a steady pace. They must want middle class out of here. Our homeless problem is so bad that its now put us in the number 4 spot in the nation. That blew my mind, because were so tiny out here. Gas is currently 2.82 (regular), milk is $4 a gallon when it's on sale, other wise your pay 7.50 -8 bucks. As gorgeous as it is we feel conflicted, but we are watching taxes being raised like it's no big deal. Traffic is terrible, were over populated for the amount of road we have. Thousands of people commute an average of 60-90 minutes one way. My husband says he can't take it anymore. Feels like were strapped, and I need out of that. We have considered Colorado Springs also, but I don't do well in extreme cold so I thought TX would be a good place. What do you guys think? What kind of changes would I see if we moved to SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,024 times
We just survived our 1st San Antonio summer. We relocated from Virginia...anyway, I think what made it indeed brutal for us was that there seemed to be no reprieve from the heat. Day in, day out, from sun up to sun down the same. Non-stop bright, bright sun and around 100. Every day. We have a pool and the water temp was literally around 98 degrees for most of the summer...At least in VA we'd have a heat wave like that for a week or something and then catch a break, but here it was daily, from the time you woke up until literally it got dark. Beating sun, with no reprieve. Like the desert. The sky is huge and endless, I can't figure out what it is exactly that makes it feel so big.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:52 PM

So then it does cool off in the evenings? Is the humidity extremely thick? I can't believe your pool was 98 all summer. Could you even enjoy it at that temp?

Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,316 times
I have lived on Oahu, and in SA. I loved the Hawaiian climate with its trade winds--summer 91 degrees and winter 82, almost every day. It is more humid in SA, but it's not as bad as, say, New Orleans. We also get breezes that help to mitigate the humidity's deleterious effects, but kg31768 is correct, the heat is constant. The evenings do not cool down as much as they do on Oahu. However, it is much better than ANY kind of winter weather.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM

259 posts, read 1,810,422 times
Default Hawaii Vs Texas

HI HAWAII CORRI...COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE! WE'VE ONLY BEEN HERE A YEAR FROM CA.....BY THE WAY; WE'RE NEIGHBORS! WE LIVE IN MAKAKILO..LOL.....WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE ON SAN ANTONIO? (JUST CURIOUS).WE ARE GOING TO MOVE TO TX ALSO, BUT..WE ARE HAVING THE HARDEST TIME CHOOSING A SPOT ....SCARY, BUT EXCITING THE WHOLE RELOCATING THING! HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON THE ISLAND? MAHALO

Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I have lived on Oahu, and in SA. I loved the Hawaiian climate with its trade winds--summer 91 degrees and winter 82, almost every day. It is more humid in SA, but it's not as bad as, say, New Orleans. We also get breezes that help to mitigate the humidity's deleterious effects, but kg31768 is correct, the heat is constant. The evenings do not cool down as much as they do on Oahu. However, it is much better than ANY kind of winter weather.

Wow, I am so stuck on what to do. I tend to sweat in high humidity and I want to stop sweating so much. Thanks for your input!!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
HI HAWAII CORRI...COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE! WE'VE ONLY BEEN HERE A YEAR FROM CA.....BY THE WAY; WE'RE NEIGHBORS! WE LIVE IN MAKAKILO..LOL.....WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE ON SAN ANTONIO? (JUST CURIOUS).WE ARE GOING TO MOVE TO TX ALSO, BUT..WE ARE HAVING THE HARDEST TIME CHOOSING A SPOT ....SCARY, BUT EXCITING THE WHOLE RELOCATING THING! HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON THE ISLAND? MAHALO
Aloha Terri,
Arrived on Oahu 2001. We are shopping around if your will. We're thinking Austin too, but I hear traffic is nasty. Someone told me the other day that even Dallas is super hot. So then the whole state much be?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,504,245 times
Dallas is much hotter than San Antonio in the Summer. San Antonio is still is close enough to get some ocean breeze. My grandparents lived on oahu for several years and made San Antonio their place to retire. Their is a sizable Hawaiian community around Ft. Sam Houston. They have various activities and I know one that even has a flower shop .

Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,642,782 times
In SA.

As of right:

Gas - $1.95 a gallon
Milk - $2.89 a gallon
Traffic - 22 minute commute average.

Those would be some changes you'd experience in SA.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 AM

232 posts, read 930,181 times
Are you insane ??????????????

Why would you ever leave Hawaii ?

I would give anything to live there.......I have been there 8 times.....Good luck to you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or