Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM

759 posts, read 3,677,492 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are getting very excited about our November arrival! Since this is our first child, my dr suggested we look into some classes at NC Baptist. There are several to choose from... has anyone taken any? Did you find them worthwhile? The prices are low, which is nice

The prepared childbirth class is 12 hrs (spread out over 4 week.) That's a lot of time... ! $25

There is one 3 hour baby care class that I figure it couldn't hurt to take... $10

Breast-feeding class? Necessary? I have a book, lol... $10

Finally there is a New Dads class (3 hrs) that is free. We have 4 friends with babies all due around the same time as our little one. I thought it might be fun if the future dads took it.

Just looking for some feedback... any of these classes worthwhile or "musts" in your opinion?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,511,519 times
Not because I didn't think they were worthwhile, but we didn't do any classes. We just ran out of time...I had fully intended to.

However, I wasn't desperate to attend either. We planned a homebirth, so I figured I'd manage with the help of my midwife. I did go through the Bradley book and another natural childbirth book, but neither really prepared me as much as just having my midwife work me through it all. I do think at least one class might have been useful for DH to just get comfortable with it all, but some reading material my midwife gave him seemed to be sufficient.

We'd both taken care of tons of babies so the baby care class didn't seem to be necessary. Of course there's different stuff when you have the baby 24/7, but we had all the basics down.

Breastfeeding class - probably would be useful, if anything to help you become aware of all the potential issues and how to deal with them, and to know what resources are available to you. Many new moms quit breastfeeding early on and a large part of that is due to just not fully understanding what's happening and knowing how to get help. A good example - the 3 week growth spurt. Many new moms get convinced they don't have enough milk because babe wants to feed constantly at 3 weeks (and 6 weeks, and 12weeks...). It does take a day or two for the milk production to catch up to demand, but the baby doesn't starve. Also, many many many!! new moms get sucked into the nursery nurses at the hospital's insistence on giving newborns formula 'until your milk comes in' then guess what, milk never comes in because babe's not nursing and instead getting more formula... I'll save my real rant for another board... Arming yourself with knowledge is a good thing. That said, we didn't take the BF class, but I researched a TON, had loads of people around me whom I could turn to for support, as well as my midwife. As things turned out, DD was in NICU on an IV and then GI tube, but eventually we managed to breastfeed (now the problem is getting her to stop!).

I wouldn't say it's a must, but could be useful. Same with the new dad's class. I'm sure it'd be fun.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM

759 posts, read 3,677,492 times
One more question- is there anything I should know about delivering at NC Baptist??? Things you (or your spouse) wish they would have known? Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM

469 posts, read 2,335,319 times
What I found most useful was a tour of the facilities and understand how they work especially if they need paperwork done ahead of time. We took classes before our baby came along but ultimately I think each childbirth is so different i's like you wing it each time. If you can lineup a lactation consultant and if can afford it a doula they are invaluable. **** luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 AM

284 posts, read 1,081,604 times
We took the Childbirth class there, which was useful, but it probably didn't need to meet as many times as ours did. (This was 9 years ago--I don't know if it still extends over several weeks).

I wish I could have taken a breastfeeding class. I had a lot of trouble getting started with my first, but I did better with my 2nd baby. I spent 2 nights in the hospital with the 2nd, instead of the only one night I spent there when my first was born, so I had the nurses with me for 2 days around the clock to help.

One suggestion: make sure your hubby or someone else is with you when you check over the information for the birth certificate. I don't know if they do it the same way now, but when the person came into the hospital room to get the information verified for my 2nd baby, I was the only one there and I was such a zombie from delivering and night feedings that I didn't notice that some info was wrong. We had to go through a lot of trouble later to get it corrected!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
One suggestion: make sure your hubby or someone else is with you when you check over the information for the birth certificate. I don't know if they do it the same way now, but when the person came into the hospital room to get the information verified for my 2nd baby, I was the only one there and I was such a zombie from delivering and night feedings that I didn't notice that some info was wrong. We had to go through a lot of trouble later to get it corrected!
This happened when I was born...myname was spelled wrong and my parents never noticed it until I applied for a driver's license and social security card. Not a big deal then, same with my passport. They just used the spelling I use normally.

The problem came recently when I got married in Switzerland. They would not accept it - it was the name on the birth cert and no other. So I had to pay $$$$ and go through a ton of hassle to request a legal name change so my marriage documents would be accurate (very very important since we intend to live in CH eventually)

Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,161,326 times
My wife and I are also expecting, and we're taking all of our classes at Methodist. The classes are good and, best of all, they're FREE! I don't think you even have to be delivering there because there are several couples who are delivering at one of the military hospitals.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
My wife and I are also expecting, and we're taking all of our classes at Methodist. The classes are good and, best of all, they're FREE! I don't think you even have to be delivering there because there are several couples who are delivering at one of the military hospitals.
Congrats to you and your wife!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 36,045 times
Lauren---

I saw your post on the Nest and then came over here and decided to respond. We had our DD over 2 years ago and I delivered at the Methodist. I am ALMOST sure we didn't pay for any classes. All I had to do was sign up for the Women's Plus card and it got me into all of the classes for free. I don't believe you HAVE to deliver at the Methodist in order to get into those classes or the card. Look on their website and call them up. Save a little money for diapers! Congrats and see you around on the Nest!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,611 times
Default Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
My husband and I are getting very excited about our November arrival! Since this is our first child, my dr suggested we look into some classes at NC Baptist. There are several to choose from... has anyone taken any? Did you find them worthwhile? The prices are low, which is nice

The prepared childbirth class is 12 hrs (spread out over 4 week.) That's a lot of time... ! $25

There is one 3 hour baby care class that I figure it couldn't hurt to take... $10

Breast-feeding class? Necessary? I have a book, lol... $10

Finally there is a New Dads class (3 hrs) that is free. We have 4 friends with babies all due around the same time as our little one. I thought it might be fun if the future dads took it.

Just looking for some feedback... any of these classes worthwhile or "musts" in your opinion?

Thanks for your thoughts!
It is great advice that your Dr. gave you to attend a child birth class. Yet I have been to all the classes at North Central....I was not impressed! If you want to know what to do and when, to get through the labor and birth process I wouldn't go to their classes. I felt that they just showed you around the hospital and then told you what you are to do to be the "best patient". We used a doula to teach us our childbirth class and got a wealth of information!!! She was well worth the money!!!! Best thing we did. Call New Beginnings by Jessica @ 208.404.6147 She lives in SA and has for yrs. She also has lots of references!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio